The Student Room Group

Paramedic Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Yes thats exactly what they said to me, do you think that will be the same at all the unis cant really afford to buy let alone run a car no one gives you extra money for this I will have to check with Portsmouth before make decision. starnge that some unis give you uncondional and other conditional on crb/health checks
proenna7
Yes thats exactly what they said to me, do you think that will be the same at all the unis cant really afford to buy let alone run a car no one gives you extra money for this I will have to check with Portsmouth before make decision. starnge that some unis give you uncondional and other conditional on crb/health checks

You'll need a car at pretty much all unis as shift tend to start at 6/7 am/pm and at 6 in the morning public transport to ambulance stations can be a bit thin on the ground.
Happy_Holidays
You'll need a car at pretty much all unis as shift tend to start at 6/7 am/pm and at 6 in the morning public transport to ambulance stations can be a bit thin on the ground.

I will second you on that one. I have been in about an hour from an A & E shift that overran due to queuing in the hospital. If I had been relying on the last bus and not my little car, I would have missed it and been stranded. Obviously shifts don't always finish on time, I wouldn't like to have to rely on public transport.
Just wondering if i get a place at nottingham can i apply for a student loan?? I understand i would get a bursary of about £500/mth but being a mature student and having a morgage a student loan would be a big help
lilmissflo
Just wondering if i get a place at nottingham can i apply for a student loan?? I understand i would get a bursary of about £500/mth but being a mature student and having a morgage a student loan would be a big help

Yes, as the bursary is not technically an NHS bursary :smile: you just can't apply for the tuition fee loan!
lilmissflo

Hiya. How did it go at Northampton?? You can get a student loan providing you don't already hold a qualification which is of a higher level than the course you will be doing. I couldn't get one because I already have a BSc. I can't remember if you have kids now or not but if you do you can apply for a 'parents learning allowance' and a 'childcare grant'. Details of both will be on the Student finance website. You can also get 25% off your council tax x
lilmissflo

hello! Where did you hear about a £500 a month bursary? I know they get that on nursing which is means tested if you take the degree and not means tested on the diploma but it wasnt the case for paramedics when I was in the application process which was over a year ago as I deferred a year. Have they changed it? This could be very exciting news!!! Only yesterday I was going through my finances and wondering how I'm going to make ends meet without sponging off my family!
Got told in my interview last week at northampton. Yeah welshcake i think it went really well and they all recognised that my employer didnt send my reference last yr and thats why i didnt get a place.
Thanks all thats a relief on the loan front. Does anyone know what the amount is with it only being a two yr course.
lilmissflo
Got told in my interview last week at northampton. Yeah welshcake i think it went really well and they all recognised that my employer didnt send my reference last yr and thats why i didnt get a place.
Thanks all thats a relief on the loan front. Does anyone know what the amount is with it only being a two yr course.

This year the bursary for Northampton is £645 per month for 10 months of the year (none during the summer) for the two years. I should think it will increase by a tad next year xx
sounds good, just need a place now lol
I got a place at St Georges!!!!!!!!!!!! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xx
Rachellack
I got a place at St Georges!!!!!!!!!!!! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!xx

Congratulations :smile:
Thank you :smile: xx
Congrats Rachellack :smile:))

Welshcake, do you know when interviews finish at northampton?
I don't sorry..last year they finished mid-april. I found out I had a place on April 12th. Back at uni on Monday so I'll try to find out then ;o)
one_eye_on_the_goal
Also, One of the angles I was going to approach this from was with the paramedic science degree...I've been on here for 4 seconds and already get the impression that these courses are staurated? what about the OU? Anyone....

there is an OU course but you need to be working as a Tech or ECA for one of the trusts signed up to it ...

the current issue is that paramedic preparation for practice is still in transition from a 'level 4 equivalent' training to higher education model, however the impetus has come with Registration rather than a desire by staff and services to move to HE preparation for practice ( compared with ODPs or the well established pre and post reg HE courses for Nurses when they moved to He preparation for practice)

the first ' direct entry' HE paramedics have only been qualified less than 10 years ( either the (now well and truly dead)Shef Uni course or the first cohorts of UHerts / LAs degree)...

a further complicatign factor is that some services YAS, NEAS and EoE while using HE based courses recruit Students as employees ( and YAS also has SHU students not as employees and has been running iHCd courses for existing 'up or out' contract techs - despite the timeframes being blow out the water) , while others e.g. LAS /EMAS are employing student paramedics for a none HE course and have HE students on placement ( Herts for LAS and Northampton or SHU for EMAS) ...
welshcake
I don't sorry..last year they finished mid-april. I found out I had a place on April 12th. Back at uni on Monday so I'll try to find out then ;o)

cheers hun, im having random panic attacks like us all last yr lol:s-smilie:
lilmissflo
cheers hun, im having random panic attacks like us all last yr lol:s-smilie:

No worries chick..I remember it well! x
Thank u lilmissflo. Good luck with yours :smile: Im sure you'll be grand! The waiting is horrible tho xx
Woop I got an interview for student paramedic with Yorkshire Ambulance Service. So happy as I couldn't afford to go uni again! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest