The Student Room Group

Driving: Manual or Automatic.

Okay. now. I know ZERO about a car. I know you can steer and that's about it. I don't really want to drive but I know I have to for my job. I am a very nervous person when it comes to being in control and I honestly don't see driving as fun at all. I just want to go from A to B.

Please advise.

Scroll to see replies

Automatic. Much easier :smile:
With manual there is a clutch, you need to change gears and uh you could stall.
Automatic is literally just put the gear on drive and you drive.
This should really be in "Cars and Motoring".

I would recommend Manual driving, because at least then you'd have both licences, instead of just one.

Manual is the best way to drive a car, and there's no doubt about that; you have full control over the car and that's exactly what you want! You want to be controlling the car, and not the car controlling you.

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
If you just wanna go from A to B then get an automatic. You'll get loads of people giving you stigma about it saying "But you cant drive a manual then" and saying automatic is easier, but if you just wanna go from A to B that's kinda the point right?! Plus if you learn automatic you can always go back to learn manual. Just means you have to pay more.

A lot of people will say do manual but just depends on the extent to which you care about driving I guess? I learned automatic just to pass my test and get a car with some experience under my belt and get driving. Went back and did manual. Doesn't really add much in my opinion? You just throw in a gear stick and a clutch, any "tricky" stuff you learn to do pretty quick.

Purely because you said you just want to get from A to B and because I am assuming you'll be driving round a city (?) I would say automatic because you're not gonna get much use out of the gears anyway in stop start traffic (but this may just be because I live in a busy city)
I've had lessons in both automatic and manual, and I have to say that automatic is so much easier. You can always book a trial 1 hour lesson with both types and see what you get on with. It may be worth seeing if you have an automatic instructor in your area too, as they tend to be fewer and farther between.
Reply 5
Original post by RoyalSheepy
This should really be in "Cars and Motoring".

I would recommend Manual driving, because at least then you'd have both licences, instead of just one.

Manual is the best way to drive a car, and there's no doubt about that; you have full control over the car and that's exactly what you want! You want to be controlling the car, and not the car controlling you.

Spoiler

But that's just it for me. I dont want to control the car
When learning on a manual, at first you pay more attention to what you're doing within the car and less on your surroundings, whereas with an automatic it's the other way around. Of course, eventually with a manual you learn to do both, but if you are panicking about being on the road automatic may be better, as you can put all of your concentration on that.
Original post by PrincessEmm

IMO I think you may be over-complicating a Manual. I mean, an automatic is good don't get me wrong; but I feel as if the advantages of a Manual outweigh the advantage of a Automatic.
Reply 8

Thats, a bit worrying, how are you going to steer?
IMO I think you may be over-complicating a Manual. I mean, an automatic is good don't get me wrong; but I feel as if the advantages of a Manual outweigh the advantage of a Automatic.

What are the advantages of manual? I know the cars are cheaper but it must be harder to drive?!
Original post by pereira325
What are the advantages of manual? I know the cars are cheaper but it must be harder to drive?!

It's harder at first but it becomes muscle memory when you're used to it.
I don't think there's any advantages for the average day to day driver.

Cheaper to buy, greater range of cars, greater fuel economy, cheaper to repair

Like all the above said, plus if something goes wrong in a manual it's way easier to repair than an automatic; hence the price of repair being cheaper.
Automatic.
I have anxiety and it really struggles with manual cars, there was too much going on and i couldnt concentrate. Its easy for a lot a people but i wasnt one of them aha.
It still took me 3 attempts to pass my driving test in an automatic, but im so glad i did. Its been great for me :smile: Means you can just focus on the road, its basically like a big go-kart :P
If difficulty is scaring you then perhaps you should stick to a bus.
i think you should go with automatic, i'm like you bc i get nervous and i find it difficult to drive a manual car, i should have gone with automatic but im pretty determined to pass in manual now. If you go with manual then it might take up a lot of money as it might take you longer to learn
Okay. now. I know ZERO about a car. I know you can steer and that's about it. I don't really want to drive but I know I have to for my job. I am a very nervous person when it comes to being in control and I honestly don't see driving as fun at all. I just want to go from A to B.

Please advise.

Manual. Because it's the proper way to drive, anyway it's more fun :smile: only thick people and people who are incredibly stupid or people are injured, who have lost their leg or something drive autos.

If you're in America go for autos, cos that's all they have the aibility to drive over there, but if you're anywhere else, go for manual cars. Don't worry, you look at some people who can drive manual cars here in the UK, some are thick as sh1t. If they can pass their driving test, why can't you?

Don't worry, it'll be fine :smile:
get an automatic if you're not worried about spending a bit more. I too needed to learn to drive for work even if I didn't want to so after many failed attempts at learning manual I learned automatic and it's so much easier and I'm so much happier. I actually go out driving for fun now which I know I wouldn't have done if I had a manual!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I found the gears the least of my worries once I got used to using all 5. Clutch control comes with experience I think. The only time I worry about the clutch is when doing a hill start but never actually done anything bad.

OP I would suggest manual too, or at least try and see how you get on. Honestly once you get used to the gears you won't even think about it, the thing you think about most when driving is actually just making sure you observe properly and anticipate other drivers, and meeting traffic. That'll happen regardless of an automatic or manual though.
Original post by MissDetermined
I found the gears the least of my worries once I got used to using all 5. Clutch control comes with experience I think. The only time I worry about the clutch is when doing a hill start but never actually done anything bad.

OP I would suggest manual too, or at least try and see how you get on. Honestly once you get used to the gears you won't even think about it, the thing you think about most when driving is actually just making sure you observe properly and anticipate other drivers, and meeting traffic. That'll happen regardless of an automatic or manual though.

Okay. now. I know ZERO about a car. I know you can steer and that's about it. I don't really want to drive but I know I have to for my job. I am a very nervous person when it comes to being in control and I honestly don't see driving as fun at all. I just want to go from A to B.Please advise.

hi
hill start ,you can use your handbrake, if not hold the clutch and press hard on the accelerator ..it should get you moving
Advantage of manual is that you are in control plus you are allowed to drive manual and automatic
driving is fun,gives you freedom ..it relieve stress etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending