The Student Room Group

Is it bad that I want to learn to drive automatic?

A lot of people have been telling me to learn manual, which is understandable as I'd be able to drive both manual and auto. However, both of my parent's cars are automatic, and I am planning to use those when I get my licence and for practice. So I feel like there is no point in me learning manual if we don't own a manual car. Is it bad that I would want to learn automatic?

Scroll to see replies

If you get an automatic license, you are tied to automatic cars. If you get a manual license, you have the choice. Right now it may seem logical to have an automatic license, but in the future, you may be required to drive hire cars for work, or minibuses or all sorts. It makes no sense to get an automatic license. That said, there is nothing wrong with automatic cars.
Original post by Anonymous
A lot of people have been telling me to learn manual, which is understandable as I'd be able to drive both manual and auto. However, both of my parent's cars are automatic, and I am planning to use those when I get my licence and for practice. So I feel like there is no point in me learning manual if we don't own a manual car. Is it bad that I would want to learn automatic?

So as you stated the main issue with having an Automatic is license is that you can only drive Automatic cars only and Automatic cars tend to be more expensive than Manual cars or if there is an emergency and only manual car is available to drive then you could be in a dilemma.

To be honest, you don't really need validation, if you think its right for you then why not? I'm also planning to learn how to drive in an Automatic car this Summer because most of my family have Automatic cars (besides my Dad) and my first lesson in a Manual car was a disaster.
Reply 3
This thread should be in Learning to Drive - tagging @AngryJellyfish to get it moved.

Realistically, it makes more sense to learn to drive a manual so you have a full licence, rather than an automatic licence.
I get no joy out of driving an automatic, plus your fuel economy would be generally better with manual.
More control in a manual, plus you'll be an overall better driver.
Yes automatics are for idiots
Is it bad that I would want to learn automatic?

No, it isn't bad. The limitation on your licence may become a pain later though. Personally, I'd get to the point where you are ready for your test, then try a few lessons in a manual, and see which you then want to take your test in.
Reply 8

Manual cars are cheaper to buy and have better fuel economy.

Plus it feels like you're actually driving rather than being on some sort of bumper car ride in a fairground, which is not a good mentality.
Not at all! I plan to never drive manual, mostly due to my disability but I'll try to pass manual just in case.
One idea I have for this is to start manual then, if you don't like it and feel like you need to do practice outside of your lessons, go to automatic instead.

But don't let anyone tell you that learning automatic is a bad idea or stupid :smile:
Original post by ByEeek
If you get an automatic license, you are tied to automatic cars. If you get a manual license, you have the choice. Right now it may seem logical to have an automatic license, but in the future, you may be required to drive hire cars for work, or minibuses or all sorts. It makes no sense to get an automatic license. That said, there is nothing wrong with automatic cars.

Doesn't happen so much now but I used to get sent out to clients in my bosses company car to sort out some cockup or another - bosses with company cars like to do this because it puts 'business miles' on the car and makes it look like less of a perk when the taxman comes sniffing around.

You never know what you might be asked to drive for work - even if you're normally office based.

---
Don't think learning auto should be significantly cheaper than learning manual - but I haven't seen any stats on it.
Original post by TheFarmerLad
Yes automatics are for idiots

Are you implying that Americans are stupid? :frown:

OP, get an automatic licence to begin with and then go for a manual later on if you want to.
Did automatic test years ago as I really needed to pass and there was £500 automatic for sale 3 miles from my house. Passed it.

A few years later I went to do some extra lessons for my manual test. Driving instuctor talked me out of re-sitting it, said it was a waste if time and money as I could already drive . He was right. Never had a shortage of decent cars and options. Some of the modern automatics are very green too.
Original post by YaliaV

OP, get an automatic licence to begin with and then go for a manual later on if you want to.

Entirely. Why d'you think there are no roundabouts in the States? They'll drive on the wrong side
A lot of people agree that one day, all cars (at least new) will be automatic. Do what feels best for you, you are obviously limited to automatic but there are so many automatic cars available. You're not really that tied down. Your enjoyment might be limited, but you'll know no different. What about a few lessons in a manual and then an automatic to see what you think.
Reply 15
Original post by YaliaV

What a waste of money.
Original post by IWMTom
What a waste of money.

I would go with manual, but it's the OP's choice.

If u want a nice sports car when ur older go manual, nothing better than a sports car engine that is manual
Reply 18
Original post by YaliaV
I would go with manual, but it's the OP's choice.

It makes zero sense to take two tests.
Not related...How do I create a new discussion on this? On the iOS app btw

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending