The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

^^^ as in bristols' archeology is nice/ugly?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
olivia_archaeology
Hi, im applying for archaeology at both York and Exeter... are you saying the campus isn't nice in Exeter for Archaeology?! I can't decide where to go... its between Exeter, York, Durham or Bristol ! :s-smilie: :smile:

I'm sure the archaeology building in Exeter is nice, but the one in York is really stunning, it's in the centre of York, not on the campus. If you want to be in the south go for Exeter (or Southampton), if you want to be in the north go for Durham or York, archaeology isn't one of Bristol's strongest subjects, unless you want to be on time team :p: There are plenty of other better departments across the country than Bristol's.

The Boosh
i think tomber was implying that exeter is pretty, but york has a nicer building for archaeology. generally, york is concrete, steel and glass.

Indeed I was.
Reply 22
Exeter and York both share rank 11 in the country for their History course according to the Times.
Reply 23
^ I think you mean Bristol and Exeter, unless I'm going crazy.

York is around 8 or 9 I believe. Being in the top 10 probably makes a bit of a difference, and York (I think) has a slightly better reputation, but as enough people have said, its not really worth worrying about at this level.
york, bristol and exeter have pretty much exactly the same teaching and research scores for history (i.e. the highest score or thereabouts). these scores are so out of date that the newspaper league tables now give extra weight to things like student satisfaction, amount of 2.1s awarded and library spending, and any league table difference would reflect these extra weighted aspects more than the teaching and research differences.

incidently, oxford brookes has a higher research score and similar teaching scores and was in the top 10 of the league tables for a few years until library spending etc was taken into consideration.

also bear in mind that league tables now combine history with history of art for some horrible reason so tables don't reflect pure history.
Reply 25
I didn't even apply for York.. The Ancient History course just didn't offer the modules I wanted.

So have a look at the modules and make a choice.. Exeter is the most tailor made for me out of all my choices.
^^^ sound advice.
Reply 27
The Boosh
^^^ sound advice.

Wish you neg repped me.. now I only have 1 red pip

But you're welcome
lol i'm sorry - next time i promise to neg you.
Reply 29
Hmm out of curiosity : is it easier to get into York or into Exeter (in general as well as for History)? I am having a tough time deciding!
Reply 30
it all depends on what diploma you have (IB, A-levels)... but either way i'd say exeter
Reply 31
^^
please explain :smile:
Reply 32
AAB for Exeter History.
Reply 33
greyspring
Hmm out of curiosity : is it easier to get into York or into Exeter (in general as well as for History)? I am having a tough time deciding!

Neither. The number of AAA offers that Exeter is giving is on the rise, so just pick the one you like best.

Latest

Trending

Trending