The Student Room Group

How much should I charge as a private tutor?

Want to tutor Key Stage 3, GCSE and potentially A Level English Literature. 99% in my English A Level and full marks in all English GCSE exams. Tutored 6 students this year and half got 9s, none were predicted that. I live in an expensive part of the country. This is to support myself on my gap year ( necceseties not luxuries).

What do you think would be reasonable for someone like me who doesn't have a degree/ professional teaching experience to charge per hour at KS3, GCSE and A Level ( depending if I think I'm up for tutoring A Level). Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
My friend tutors maths and charges £20 an hour, she does it at A Level :smile: English is a core subject so you could probs charge around that x
25 pounds to 35 pounds.
Original post by User3939
Want to tutor Key Stage 3, GCSE and potentially A Level English Literature. 99% in my English A Level and full marks in all English GCSE exams. Tutored 6 students this year and half got 9s, none were predicted that. I live in an expensive part of the country. This is to support myself on my gap year ( necceseties not luxuries).

What do you think would be reasonable for someone like me who doesn't have a degree/ professional teaching experience to charge per hour at KS3, GCSE and A Level ( depending if I think I'm up for tutoring A Level). Thanks :smile:

Get your spelling up to scratch first - assuming it wasn't a typo.
I think you'd be better getting a job - you have no teaching qualification so I wouldn't hire you. Where will you tutor the students?

[Btw are you quoting UMS or actual raw marks?]
Reply 4
Original post by Muttley79
Get your spelling up to scratch first - assuming it wasn't a typo.
I think you'd be better getting a job - you have no teaching qualification so I wouldn't hire you. Where will you tutor the students?

[Btw are you quoting UMS or actual raw marks?]

UMS :smile: I can usually spell well, but this isn't an essay or a job application, this environment is like texting, so I want to write here as fast and as clearly as possible, saves time for when I'm doing things that need good spelling etc...

I can tutor online or at my home.

I don't know about GCSE, but A Level my raw marks were 87/90, 60/60, 70/70, 80/80 for E Lit :smile:
£10-15 for GCSE and £15-20 for A-Level
UMS :smile: I can usually spell well, but this isn't an essay or a job application, this environment is like texting, so I want to write here as fast and as clearly as possible, saves time for when I'm doing things that need good spelling etc...

I can tutor online or at my home.

I don't know about GCSE, but A Level my raw marks were 87/90, 60/60, 70/70, 80/80 for E Lit :smile:

You don't have the knowledge to tutor A level - you'd need a degree for that. You'll need a DBS ...

A job would be better and a more regular income.
Reply 7
You don't have the knowledge to tutor A level - you'd need a degree for that. You'll need a DBS ...

A job would be better and a more regular income.

I think I'll put A Level tuition out there and see if someone wants it. I helped a girl with her AS and she was predicted a C and got an A. I've also been hired by a tutoring site to write and edit A Level notes, but I appreciate that's different to actually working on someone's exam technique. Maybe not A2 though. It would have to be a part time job due to other responsibilities so I thought this would be the most convenient.
I think I'll put A Level tuition out there and see if someone wants it. I helped a girl with her AS and she was predicted a C and got an A. I've also been hired by a tutoring site to write and edit A Level notes, but I appreciate that's different to actually working on someone's exam technique. Maybe not A2 though. It would have to be a part time job due to other responsibilities so I thought this would be the most convenient.

You cannot claim your input actually achieved this or any of the other results you quote. As I said you need a DBS before you can start bringing people into your home. Tutoring sites are not very hard to get jobs with as teachers don't want to be involved in them.

I recommend you drop the tutoring idea until you are better qualified.
£25
Reply 10
You cannot claim your input actually achieved this or any of the other results you quote. As I said you need a DBS before you can start bringing people into your home. Tutoring sites are not very hard to get jobs with as teachers don't want to be involved in them.

I recommend you drop the tutoring idea until you are better qualified.

Thanks for letting me know the thing about DBS. I will apply for it as I'm 19. Otherwise I will work online.

I don't see why I can't claim my input made a difference, when I have been told by my students it did make a difference on results day, 4 out of 6 messaged and said so. To quote one ' Thank you so much X, I feel that what ever grade I get was all due to your help'. They were very happy with my help, which because of my lower experience was more affordable. Can any tutor claim that their help made a difference? Or is it only the ones with degrees that can? Because that logic, if you mean to imply it, makes no sense.

Whether I tutor or not was not the purpose of this thread - it was the price. It worked well for me last year, and for my specific circumstances that you do not know.

What you said about good tutors not being on tutoring sites is absurd - I won't bother refuting it as I have been taught by some of the highest quality tutors ( and I'm certainly not one of those, but there are people like that) and they were all on sites.
£20
Thanks for letting me know the thing about DBS. I will apply for it as I'm 19. Otherwise I will work online.

I don't see why I can't claim my input made a difference, when I have been told by my students it did make a difference on results day, 4 out of 6 messaged and said so. To quote one ' Thank you so much X, I feel that what ever grade I get was all due to your help'. They were very happy with my help, which because of my lower experience was more affordable. Can any tutor claim that their help made a difference? Or is it only the ones with degrees that can? Because that logic, if you mean to imply it, makes no sense.

Whether I tutor or not was not the purpose of this thread - it was the price. It worked well for me last year, and for my specific circumstances that you do not know.

What you said about good tutors not being on tutoring sites is absurd - I won't bother refuting it as I have been taught by some of the highest quality tutors ( and I'm certainly not one of those, but there are people like that) and they were all on sites.

Charge £10 an hour

People are being p negative on here but from everyone I know it's p normal to tutor people without a degree!! You can't charge as much w/o one but you can still charge £15-£30 /hr! (Higher end once you've started uni.)
I wouldn't recommend tutoring a level students tho! Especially as it's a skill-based rather than content-based subject. General rule is to have at least a qualification higher than the one you're teaching.
A 3rd year medical student tutored me in chem for £25 / hr for yr13, but admittedly at 3rd year she knew more and had more experience etc, so it was kinda reasonable she didn't have a degree.
I mean for goodness sake someone I know in yr 12 / about to start yr 13 who has been tutoring fellow students in maths for the past year (but for super low price cos mates rates).
You cannot necessarily claim that the 9s were your input, but it is a very promising result and would instil confidence in people.
But yeah, tutoring rates are always above babysitting rates and kind of start at £15, and the most I've seen someone ask for who didn't have a degree was £30 /hr.
I'd say offer GCSE stuff at £20, maybe KS3 at £15-£18? (But seriously don't do a-level till you've started uni, you cannot claim to have enough experience for that.)

Also (I may be wrong) but you could get around the DBS thing by going to the tutee's house rather than inviting them over.
And yeah, the tutoring sites do have good tutors!! How are tutors meant to find clients - word of mouth?!
Degree or no degree it's difficult to quantify how much of the grade was down to you, but it's still promising and worthwhile to mention on your tutor profile! xx
Reply 15
Original post by StealingThunder
Also (I may be wrong) but you could get around the DBS thing by going to the tutee's house rather than inviting them over.
And yeah, the tutoring sites do have good tutors!! How are tutors meant to find clients - word of mouth?!
Degree or no degree it's difficult to quantify how much of the grade was down to you, but it's still promising and worthwhile to mention on your tutor profile! xx

Thanks :smile: yeah, I'd already made a note on my profile like ' I had a note saying I was apprehensive to work with A Level students but now I've got rid of that option
If you are travelling to students houses, you should charge between £20 an hour.

If they are coming to yours, charge between £10-£15

This is only because you don't have a degree/further study to charge as much as a graduate.
I wouldn't recommend teaching A-level English Lit.

Are you a current student?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by Bloom77
If you are travelling to students houses, you should charge between £20 an hour.

If they are coming to yours, charge between £10-£15

This is only because you don't have a degree/further study to charge as much as a graduate.
I wouldn't recommend teaching A-level English Lit.

Are you a current student?

Current situation is complex :/ Will start university soon though, should health permit it!

Good idea regarding price :smile:
Reply 18
To any current private tutors. Do people respect you more if you have a degree in your subject or do you still get enough interest from people if you are midway through a degree for example?

Background: Starting 2nd year Pure Chemistry at Queens Belfast, always thought about doing some tutoring.
Reply 19
Original post by The Tutor Pages
There a bit of misinformation flying around this thread! You do not need a DBS check to tutor, whether in your home or outside it. You would need one if you were working for a school/scout group/after school club or other organised group, but as an individual working as a sole trader, you do not legally need one. A lot of tutors choose to register for a DBS because parents may ask for it, but that is your choice to make. If you're teaching in your own home, you may wish to consider taking out some form of personal liability insurance, though, in case a student had an accident in your home.

Do take a look at the following pages for advice about fees and tutoring:

https://www.thetutorpages.com/private-tuition-fees

https://www.thetutorpages.com/private-tutor-advice

There will always be some parents who would consider employing a school leaver, especially one who can show their own good results and has some experience of tutoring. Typically, non-graduates will charge less than graduates, and that will be a factor in some parents' decision.

Good luck!

Emma

Thank you for such a supportive and informative message. You're right, I see nothing wrong with people who've done well in their education helping younger students at more affordable prices!

Latest

Trending

Trending