The Student Room Group
Reply 1
I would also like to know what training a WSO does after IOT. :smile:
Reply 2
The AFCO would be the best people to ask because I only know about the old nav training but that's all changed since old posts were amalgimated into the new WSO branch. When do you need it for I assume your heading off to OASC soon.
Reply 3
WSOs (distinct from WSOps) go to 55(R) Sqn at Cranwell after IOT to do basic navigation in the Tutor. I can't remember how long the course is. They then head to Linton-on-Ouse to do a course on the Tucano with TANS, the Tucano Air Nav Squadron. After that, it's back to 55(R) at Cranwell to do some radar work in the back of a Dominie.

After that they're streamed. Fast jet navs stay on the Dominie to do some flying with 55(R)'s LLTS, which I think is the low-level training squadron. Then off to 100 Sqn at Leeming to sit in the back of a Hawk for a while, get your brevet, and off to an OCU.

After streaming, the few rotary and ME navs disappear off to their respective streams and I have no idea how they work.

All of the above carries the health warning that I'm a pilot, and therefore don't know exactly what navs do through training.
Reply 4
Wzz, do the streamed fast jet navs and pilots from 'the ton' ever engage in air-combat with the jag pilots? Have you ever acted as enemy for the hawk?
Reply 5
The ton do play the role of the "enemy" to most people; one of their prime jobs is acting as targets to the F3 force. I assume they would fight Jags if the Jags needed it, but never having been on 100 I don't know for certain.

They have a section of the squadron dedicated to navigator training, but it's not their only job. As for whether the baby navs would fly when fighting F3s, Jags or whoever; probably. They tend to only need the pilot so the back seat could be filled by anyone.

Latest

Trending

Trending