The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
cesiliade
Subcontracting work is the process of paying an outside company to provide a service or good for you to help you in your work. A problem with subcontracting work is that the work may not be undertaken to such a high quality as it would have if it was done inside the business, this is because the firm/people doing the work outside the business will not know the business' policies on such things as quality control/ assurance etc. As in the theatre companies demanded high quality product this is an aspect that G&N can’t compromise. Another problem is that it will undoubtedly cost more per unit if they subcontract the work out which will decrease G&Ns profit margins.///if i were you i would cut this part out or say it would have negative effect on g&n profits..because if they are making a lot of money then they can afford to subcontract and it wouldn't affect their profits or you can say subcontracting may affect quality and this in turn can dissatisfy customers resulting in lower profits made./// In the incredibly competitive market that G&N are in they need to give themselves any competitive advantage that they can, for this reason I believe it would be a bad idea to subcontract production and/or distribution.

hmm not sure how well i did there

thanks for the qustion fizzydizzy =]

ok your answer is fine well done!!!
Reply 81
Outline the main advantages of Sara suggested idea of using matrix management. (6)

Matrix management structure involves when a firm combines both function and product departmentalization. Sara was keen to introduce this structure for the Props and Scenery Division. One advantage of this is that it would have enabled projects to be viewed from different angles. As one off items is produced within this division, workers would have been able to spot any problems or requirements whilst producing products. This keeps the product efficient. Another advantage is that lateral and vertical communication would have occurred. This allows the free flow of ideas between workers within G&N. This could have led to increased commitment as workers feel valued to have inputted their ideas.

Ive answered another question. Please some1 mark it for me thanks!
Reply 82
cesiliade
lol no its not your fault.. good luck anyway!

this threads turning into a really useful one, i no that il be cramming on here tuesday night for sure =]

lol yh me 2
Reply 83
Outline the main advantages of Sara suggested idea of using matrix management. (6)

Matrix management is where a selection ofworkers from different areas of the business gather together in a team to work on a project. G&N were looking to have a matrix management team working in the props and scenery division. There are many advantages of matrix management systems, most importantly the fact that because there are people from all over the business working on the projects, any faults with the project are going to be brought to light as the project will be viewed from multiple angles. Another advantage is that it allows for greater communication as the communication lines will be horizontal and vertical. For example in G&N the warehouse staff will communicate directly with the admin staff, this would not ordinarily happen in the normal heirachy.
Reply 84
fizzydizzy

Matrix management structure involves when a firm combines both function and product departmentalization. Sara was keen to introduce this structure for the Props and Scenery Division. One advantage of this is that it would have enabled projects to be viewed from different angles. As one off items is produced within this division, workers would have been able to spot any problems or requirements whilst producing products. This keeps the product efficient. Another advantage is that lateral and vertical communication would have occurred. This allows the free flow of ideas between workers within G&N. This could have led to increased commitment as workers feel valued to have inputted their ideas.

Im not the best marker, but again that seems to be very close to if not 6/6 - well done
Reply 85
fizzydizzy

Matrix management structure involves
///you mean 'is' not invovles///

when a firm combines both function and product departmentalization.
Sara was keen to introduce this structure for the Props and Scenery Division. One advantage of this is that it would have enabled projects to be viewed from different angles. As one off items is produced within this division, workers would have been able to spot any problems or requirements whilst producing products.

This keeps the product efficient. ///you what?!!!! you mean this increases product efficiency///

Another advantage is that lateral and vertical communication would have occurred. This allows the free flow of ideas between workers within G&N. This could have led to increased commitment as workers feel valued to have inputted their ideas.

I like this answer...:smile:

Reply 86
KOOL Thanks for feedback :smile:
Reply 87
cesiliade

Matrix management is where a selection ofworkers from different areas of the business gather together in a team to work on a project. G&N were looking to have a matrix management team working in the props and scenery division. There are many advantages of matrix management systems, most importantly the fact that because there are people from all over the business working on the projects, any faults with the project are going to be brought to light as the project will be viewed from multiple angles. Another advantage is that it allows for greater communication as the communication lines will be horizontal and vertical. For example in G&N the warehouse staff will communicate directly with the admin staff, this would not ordinarily happen in the normal heirachy.

i think this is a gr8 answer! 6 out of 6 :smile:
Reply 88
cesiliade

Matrix management is where a selection ofworkers from different areas of the business gather together in a team to work on a project. G&N were looking to have a matrix management team working in the props and scenery division. There are many advantages of matrix management systems, most importantly the fact that because there are people from all over the business working on the projects

any faults with the project are going to be brought to light as the project will be viewed from multiple angles.
///Like what?!! that sentence right there is soo genric ..see how you directly related your other advantage with g&n not jus by putting their name but by talking about one of their warehouse thats what you should do with this point you have said////

Another advantage is that it allows for greater communication as the communication lines will be horizontal and vertical. For example in G&N the warehouse staff will communicate directly with the admin staff, this would not ordinarily happen in the normal heirachy.

very good answer...
Reply 89
jus-mi
very good answer...

Thanks for the advise you two =]
Reply 90
D29
OP
Lets try and get as many questions up here as we can
great work so far guys, keep it up
1 week...
Reply 91
so any1 got sum questions?
Reply 92
D29
OP
obviously not lol
Reply 93
D29
OP
what about any key themes?
anything that questions could be related around... the future of the business? should they move?
anything to do with the economic forecasts? the loan? changing to a plc?
Reply 94
D29
what about any key themes?
anything that questions could be related around... the future of the business? should they move?
anything to do with the economic forecasts? the loan? changing to a plc?

aint dat all unit 3?

im only doing unit 2
Reply 95
D29
OP
im doing both, so i don't actually know what will come up on each paper.
but unit 2 consists of operations managment and people management i think
Reply 96
im doin both too looking to get A'S hopefully
Reply 97
D29
OP
same, but i havn't revised yet:s-smilie:
does anybody have any revision tecniques cuz i read the apt notes 4 unint 2 and den by the time i read the apt notes 4 unit 3 i had 4gotten most of the stuff frum unit 2 but maybe i just need to keep reading them over and over again-

by the way can sum1 answer this question, i was reading the apt notes on piece rate systems and it said that one of the advantages is that it suits hull factory as it is subject 2 seasonal demand-how is this good 4 workers? i know it sounds confusin but if en1 has clue what im talking bout please tell me
Reply 99
well since they won't have a job at other times of the year they will need to make the most of the time they are actually working so therefore the more they make the more they earn so they can save for the times they won't be in employment.......since money is the main motivator and its a short term thing....i think?!! :s

Latest