The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tiger Rag

- (and yes, I realised I'd missed a word out) If he was really doing something, would he say he was going to meet up with a female friend? I sure as hell wouldn't tell my boyfriend I was meeting up with a male friend if I was actually planning on cheating on him.

This what I was referring to in my previous post, as in just because you wouldn't tell him that you're meeting a male friend if you really wanted to cheat on him doesn't mean if he wanted to cheat on you he would also not tell you he's meeting a female friend. He might tell you for a whole host of reasons to make you trust him when he has bad intentions (my point here being people are different in nature so you never really know).

If I was that concerned, I would talk to him, instead of just coming on here and *****ing about him.

Agreed.
Reply 41
Meh there's weirder things to happen...
At any rate what would you say if your Mrs told you not to be friends with someone you were very close to on grounds, that to them atleast, might come across as somewhat questionable?
I mean from my perspective i've always found friendships to be more ironclad than relationships, which when we're young, tend to be rather fleeting.
Original post by Napp
Meh there's weirder things to happen...
At any rate what would you say if your Mrs told you not to be friends with someone you were very close to on grounds, that to them atleast, might come across as somewhat questionable?

Being close friends is very different from being close friends with someone after you wanted **** each other/had previous sexual history.

she wouldn't even be my Mrs in the first place if she had a guy she used to f#k as a "best friend". Don't have time for that basic ****!
Reply 43
I sure as hell wouldn't tell my boyfriend I was meeting up with a male friend if I was actually planning on cheating on him.

You wouldn't leave a fat kid with a chocolate cake for an extended period of time ..and expect him not to be tempted would you?, ...and the longer you keep leaving him with that cake the stronger the temptation will be. He may not intend to eat the cake at all, but with the temptation there ..sometimes people have a moment of weakness and give into their temptation

Yeah you may have no intentions of cheating whatsoever, In the same way the fat kid never had any intention of eating the cake, still though .. it wouldn't be all that surprising if he ate it would it? if you are constantly hanging around your male friend who you have "history" with ....it only takes one temporary moment of weakness ...and you've got cake all over your face [if you catch my drift]

Letting a partner hang out for prolonged periods of time 1 on 1 with an opposite sex "friend" with whom they have history with is just a bad idea ...and just asking for trouble...............
I wouldn't be too impressed if you told me to do this. Shows how little you trust me.

Then be prepared to get dumped.
Reply 45
Now this i'll happily agree to :L
Original post by trapking
Being close friends is very different from being close friends with someone after you wanted **** each other/had previous sexual history.

she wouldn't even be my Mrs in the first place if she had a guy she used to f#k as a "best friend". Don't have time for that basic ****!

Not especially... If they had enjoyed a spot of rumpy pumpy i'd agree with you but from the OPs post he intimates that nothing occurred so no harm no foul.
Basic ****? What sorry?
Original post by Ganjaweed Rebel
Then be prepared to get dumped.

Fine. Wouldn't want to be with someone who can't trust me.

In my eyes you'd have already broken it.
Original post by Anonymous
trust is an illogical concept, why should you let go of the scientific method, ie dealing in proof, in dealing with beings as immoral, unethical and imperfect as humans? there have been studies that show people on average lie several dozen times a day, it is illogical to leave someone to their devices in a situation where what you want not to occur is quite easily exacted? its all very illogical.

ignoring what i've already said for a bit let us examine another view point, if a girl cant give up a random guy shes only known for a year and that you clearly have a problem with, then she does not value you enough for it to be a lasting and strong relationship anyways. if i were to be in a relationship i would be in one with someone for whom i would be ready to give up my life for let alone a random person id only known for a year that has no blood relation to me. i guess you havent known her for long enough that the relationship could be at a point where you are ready to make sacrifices for the other person but even at an early stage this is not much of a sacrifice, perhaps she could start talking to him less and not meet him in solitude rather than cut him off completely for now, if its the case that she is not that willing to sacrifice much yet

It sounds like I'm some sort of autist, but this is literally how I see it. You don't ''just trust'' other people, you look at the facts and make a decision. Some guy she used to have a thing with is buzzing around and she won't give him up.
Reply 49
Some guy she used to have a thing with is buzzing around and she won't give him up.

I know, and she's got no excuse for it either, I mean it's not like she's Rick Astley.......

"Never gonna give you up............."
Original post by anm775
i know, and she's got no excuse for it either, i mean it's not like she's rick astley.......

"never gonna give you up............."

''it's your fault i did it :cry: U jus didn't trust me, u made me do it''
It sounds like I'm some sort of autist, but this is literally how I see it. You don't ''just trust'' other people, you look at the facts and make a decision. Some guy she used to have a thing with is buzzing around and she won't give him up.

yo i wrote that and im not autistic (never thought i would have to say that lmao) i just like to believe im highly experienced and logical, not to sound boastful

people just have no respect in relationships anymore, if anything i believe extremist feminism is to blame. it is insecurity that leads to someone thinking if they do something for the sake of someone else they are somehow below them. extremist feminists will never listen to anything a guy asks them to do because theyre just that egotistical and insecure. for example if you tell your partner you like her in longer hair and she should try to grow it out you might be met with cries of "its my life its my choice how i make my hair." or the classic "i dont make my hair for you, its for myself. I will do what i like." i mean perhaps im too much of a romantic but that is where beauty lies in a relationship, trying to make the other person happier

I wouldnt mind giving up hanging out with other girls for someone special whom i wish to spend the rest of my life with. i mean if they mean that little to you that you cant do that for them then the relationship is too weak to last and have meaning

I wouldn't be too impressed if you told me to do this. Shows how little you trust me.

it's about respect, not trust.

I already explained how trust is an illogical concept in this circumstance anyways. and what is trust? what have you done to gain it?
Reply 53
Become good friends with that guy aswell and then if he feels like he wants to do something with her he will feel really guilty and probably not do it
My girlfriend of 4 months has a really close guy friend (almost best friend) who she has known a lot longer than me. She has opened up that they did once like each other more than friends, and that he was going to come down so they can "hook up" and stuff (He lives about 1 hour away). But ever since I've came into her life she says that she has no feelings towards him anymore, but i doubt that is true. She always talks to him online ect.. and i just don't like the thought of it? What can i do? I can't just say to stop talking to him since she has known him for around a year.

It’s as simple as, this is something you’re going to have to get over.

I would instantly ditch my boyfriend if he didn’t like my male friends, because it meant that he didn’t trust me to be faithful to him. And it’s not reasonable of you to ask you to not talk to her friends, because that instantly makes you controlling.

I understand why you might be a bit uncomfortable, but you’re gonna have to ask yourself if you trust her or not.
Reply 55
Become good friends with that guy aswell and then if he feels like he wants to do something with her he will feel really guilty and probably not do it and as an extra bonus you will have a new friend and it could just turn out that he could be just a pretty good chill guy!
Reply 56
Become friends with the guy, join in on the online chats, find out about him and if you become friends with him he could back off your girl (if that is the case) and you will have gained a new friend and it could just turn out that he’s a pertty good, chill guy and a good friend!
Original post by FloralHybrid
It’s as simple as, this is something you’re going to have to get over.

I would instantly ditch my boyfriend if he didn’t like my male friends, because it meant that he didn’t trust me to be faithful to him. And it’s not reasonable of you to ask you to not talk to her friends, because that instantly makes you controlling.

I understand why you might be a bit uncomfortable, but you’re gonna have to ask yourself if you trust her or not.

Agreed. Of course, if the person you were asking me not to friends with was a drug addict, criminal, etc. then yes, I could see your point.
yo i wrote that and im not autistic (never thought i would have to say that lmao) i just like to believe im highly experienced and logical, not to sound boastful

people just have no respect in relationships anymore, if anything i believe extremist feminism is to blame. it is insecurity that leads to someone thinking if they do something for the sake of someone else they are somehow below them. extremist feminists will never listen to anything a guy asks them to do because theyre just that egotistical and insecure. for example if you tell your partner you like her in longer hair and she should try to grow it out you might be met with cries of "its my life its my choice how i make my hair." or the classic "i dont make my hair for you, its for myself. I will do what i like." i mean perhaps im too much of a romantic but that is where beauty lies in a relationship, trying to make the other person happier

I wouldnt mind giving up hanging out with other girls for someone special whom i wish to spend the rest of my life with. i mean if they mean that little to you that you cant do that for them then the relationship is too weak to last and have meaning

I disagree with that completely.

Whether you mean a lot to someone or not, its unreasonable of them to expect you to stop talking to friends on their behalf. Why? If you love the person you’re with, would it not concern you if they didn’t trust you enough to have friends of the opposite gender?

It’s a controlling attitude.
Too bad. Maybe if so many men weren't crap then she wouldn't need a back up option just in case you screw things up. Judging by this thread you definitely will.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending