The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Locum pharmacists can earn from £18 per hour. Sorry I'm not much help.
Reply 2
I am not exactly sure but I dont think its that good tbh from what i can remember being told
Reply 3
apparantly it varies from 8pound to 30pound an hour?
Reply 4
^^^^??? What? Where can I work to get 30 pounds an hour??? Is it just locuming or is there a permanent job-please don't say industry, its so hard to get a job there!
Reply 5
Locums tend to earn more I think, as they can claim expenses etc. for having to travel. Pharmacy is not paid well enough though, if only people knew the amount of stick you get from customers when you work in one.
Reply 6
Locums do get paid well but i think the real money in pharmacy is when u own ur own pharmacy business. thats where the money is
Reply 7
I agree, locums get wicked pay, i actually know someone who gets paid around 35 an hour without expenses, but he is a v.v. experienced
Reply 8
It seems to be pretty poor pay for such an important job. I thought that the chains had taken over all pharmacy stores?
Reply 9
My cousin is just starting out as a Pre-Reg in Boots and is out of London and per annum his is 18k.

I think within London you get a bit more and once you register (after your pre-reg exam) you get a pay rise.
I heard the average pre - reg is 16k a year

Average after that, just working in a pharmacy and not owning it is roughly 35.5k a year
Reply 11
ye i agree..35-40K seems da max da most pharmacists earn..unless ur business orientated and u own it prob earn much much more
Reply 12
In community most is around 40k that’s doing a lot in the shop i.e. manager. Sister is locum and earns 30-35k not sure, working 3-5 days a week depending on month. Very hard to own business these days as they cost so much even with other investors and the competition. So you can't really go any further in community pharmacy once you qualify compared to what you could in hospital and it's very repetitive.
Irrelevance
I heard the average pre - reg is 16k a year

Hospital is ~19.6K (outside London)
The days of independent trader(own shop) is coming to an end.
It's becoming more and more difficult for indies to compete against the chains such as llyods and Boots, as organizations such care homes prefer to have a "all in one" affair to lower their overheads.

Doesn't help that supermarkets have been given the right to open their own in house dispensary or that chains(boots etc) are now sponsoring GP's to build to new practices with a built in dispensary ie they (boots) build the clinic so long as they have the right to open up shop right inside the front doors.There's nothing wrong with this because the Doctors have no right to tell ht patient where to ge their prescription.

The sad thing is that no one, not even the BPS, is doing anything to stop it. They should have banded together long ago and stopped the legislation coming through.
Nursing homes, schools, etc. are good business because they bring lots of prescription numbers in. Independents can't complete with the chains because the chains can offer lots of incentives to the customers (like medicines lockers, drugs trolleys for nursing homes, etc.) - not strictly legitimate but it goes on.

IMO pay is quite poor for what we have to put up with (and the cost of living these days). Realistic hourly rate for a locum is £20-30 per hour - I earn around the mid 20s. Working full time, this comes up to around £40-45K/year. Around the same or a little more can be had as a manager of a pharmacy (but with much more responsibility like the dreaded MURs, end of month paperwork, running the staff side of the business, etc.).

Hospital pay is miserly - incoming band6s get mid £20K to £30K, after 3 years you can move to band7 and get mid £30Ks and then upwards from that as you climb to 8a,8b,8c (around £70k is the norm for an 8c IIRC).
The salary is good but not special. You do get job security (wait 'til you get older, this is almost priceless) and flexibility. Flexibility will allow you to earn a decent wage working part-time, locumming when you want etc or even, as one of my friends did, work weekends to earn some cash while studying another degree (medicine in my friend's case).
Reply 17
silent ninja
The salary is good but not special. You do get job security (wait 'til you get older, this is almost priceless) and flexibility. Flexibility will allow you to earn a decent wage working part-time, locumming when you want etc or even, as one of my friends did, work weekends to earn some cash while studying another degree (medicine in my friend's case).

Out of interest which uni did your friend go to for medicine?
petzneo
Out of interest which uni did your friend go to for medicine?

Warwick postgrad medicine... incidentally where I'll be heading.
Reply 19
I know pharmacists (cousins in fact) that earn around the £50k wage bracket and they work in community pharmacies. They're not cluster leaders or anything, one just recently registered about two years ago, so experience doesn't necessarily mean much in my opinion.

One of them is currently on maternity leave but she told me if she worked full time she would earn in excess of £55k. She works part time (one day a week!- talk about flexible) as a PCT pharmacist. Another one is currently doing the course so you can independently prescribe, but I'm not entirely sure of his current wage but its definately good, as his Mercedes S-Class portrays. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending