The Student Room Group

35 hour Crash Course - Do you think I will pass?

Back in October 2017, I started learning in a manual car, and I have 8 hours of manual driving experience altogether. However, I couldn't seem to get a grasp on the gears (Especially changing gears while making turns like shifting from gear 2 to 1) and so I gave up.

Now in 3 weeks time, I will be undertaking a 35-hour Automatic Crash Course (5 hours every day for six days and the 6th day is when I'll be taking the driving test.

The question is: Do you think there is any chance of me passing in such a short space of time? I've spent £900 on this crash course.

Spoiler

Original post by squirrology
Back in October 2017, I started learning in a manual car, and I have 8 hours of manual driving experience altogether. However, I couldn't seem to get a grasp on the gears (Especially changing gears while making turns like shifting from gear 2 to 1) and so I gave up.

Now in 3 weeks time, I will be undertaking a 35-hour Automatic Crash Course (5 hours every day for six days and the 6th day is when I'll be taking the driving test.

The question is: Do you think there is any chance of me passing in such a short space of time? I've spent £900 on this crash course.

Spoiler

I don't see why not. Unless you have a horrendous experience and lose your nerve, should be O.K.

Although as a novice, five hours a day intense concentration for six consecutive days will tax your stamina.

Good luck. :smile:

Spoiler

I know someone that went on an intensive course and was partially refunded as he managed to be ready for the test by the 4th day. It all depends on the individual and how you feel driving and concentrating for that amount of time.

I've been learning to drive for at least a couple of years on and off and I wish I have done a crash course. Best of luck if you decide to go for it. :smile:
Original post by Toy Soldiers
I know someone that went on an intensive course and was partially refunded as he managed to be ready for the test by the 4th day. It all depends on the individual and how you feel driving and concentrating for that amount of time.

I've been learning to drive for at least a couple of years on and off and I wish I have done a crash course. Best of luck if you decide to go for it. :smile:

Original post by uberteknik
I don't see why not. Unless you have a horrendous experience and lose your nerve, should be O.K.

Although as a novice, five hours a day intense concentration for six consecutive days will tax your stamina.

Good luck. :smile:

Thank you all for your useful advice! :biggrin:
yes, yes i think you will

:borat:
Hi there, any idea which driving school was that?

Hi there, any idea which driving school was that? Cheers
Changed my driving test date to 28th March because my instructor thinks I need the full recommended amount of hours which is 67 hours because I don't have the opportunity to do private practice :colonhash:

Yet I'm doing Automatic and I'm finding it incredibly easy. I have had no problems with bay parking, junctions etc, however, I need to polish up my roundabouts though it shouldn't take more than 10 hours to master :/
Original post by JASON1911
Hi there, any idea which driving school was that? Cheers

Hey! Sorry for the late reply, unfortunately I do not know. :frown:

Changed my driving test date to 28th March because my instructor thinks I need the full recommended amount of hours which is 67 hours because I don't have the opportunity to do private practice :colonhash:

Yet I'm doing Automatic and I'm finding it incredibly easy. I have had no problems with bay parking, junctions etc, however, I need to polish up my roundabouts though it shouldn't take more than 10 hours to master :/

Hmm that's odd. I was at test standard and took my first test after 45 hours I think, though it actually took me 66 hours worth of lessons before I passed.

Did you do that crash course in the end then? Does that mean you'll be doing a slightly shorter crash course or are you just doing normal weekend lessons?
Hey! Sorry for the late reply, unfortunately I do not know. :frown:

Hmm that's odd. I was at test standard and took my first test after 45 hours I think, though it actually took me 66 hours worth of lessons before I passed.

Did you do that crash course in the end then? Does that mean you'll be doing a slightly shorter crash course or are you just doing normal weekend lessons?

Wow, 66 hours! So you passed on your second test? What area did you fail on in your first test?

Yeah, I did - it turned out to be fairly stressful, but it gave me a decent headstart. I'm now doing 5 hours every weekend until test day, but because it snowed I missed my lesson yesterday, and she had the Flu last weekend, so I haven't actually had a lesson since my crash course :redface:
Wow, 66 hours! So you passed on your second test? What area did you fail on in your first test?

Yeah, I did - it turned out to be fairly stressful, but it gave me a decent headstart. I'm now doing 5 hours every weekend until test day, but because it snowed I missed my lesson yesterday, and she had the Flu last weekend, so I haven't actually had a lesson since my crash course :redface:

Embarrassingly I passed on my 5th attempt :colondollar: You can read more on my AMA thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4974844

I failed mostly due to clutch control, parallel parking and external factors, but I'm so glad I passed now and I've learnt loads from my mistakes which results in me being a better driver :smile:

Still quite a lot of hours per weekend :redface: I know some of my friends have their first test after 30 hours so they understand the driving test process if they do fail.. but I know instructors have different strategies. How are you feeling about it, on top of all your degree work?
Embarrassingly I passed on my 5th attempt :colondollar: You can read more on my AMA thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4974844

I failed mostly due to clutch control, parallel parking and external factors, but I'm so glad I passed now and I've learnt loads from my mistakes which results in me being a better driver :smile:

Still quite a lot of hours per weekend :redface: I know some of my friends have their first test after 30 hours so they understand the driving test process if they do fail.. but I know instructors have different strategies. How are you feeling about it, on top of all your degree work?

5th attempt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have probably given up after the 3rd test, to be honest. At least you kept persevering and eventually passed :biggrin:

I feel quite confident on the road, but people still overtake me when I don't even feel like I'm driving that slow :s-smilie: My degree work has simmered down, thankfully, so I am moderately confident about my test. The only piece of coursework I have to do now is to complete a GUI Java Application which is due in April (which I have no clue on how to do :emo: ), then I have two exams in May, and then the two modules are done. But then I have block release in June/July - Which has me confused because I thought Universities are usually closed during this period
5th attempt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would have probably given up after the 3rd test, to be honest. At least you kept persevering and eventually passed :biggrin:

I feel quite confident on the road, but people still overtake me when I don't even feel like I'm driving that slow :s-smilie: My degree work has simmered down, thankfully, so I am moderately confident about my test. The only piece of coursework I have to do now is to complete a GUI Java Application which is due in April (which I have no clue on how to do :emo: ), then I have two exams in May, and then the two modules are done. But then I have block release in June/July - Which has me confused because I thought Universities are usually closed during this period

Yeah I still get overtaken a lot, but it doesn't matter if you're adhering to the speed limit and/or in the slow lane. Good luck, I hope you'll get through it. You'll get that massive sigh of relief once your test is over, thinking that you'll never need to have lessons again. :smile:

Still lots to go through for your degree work :redface: I'm still trying to get used to the online videos and workshops since I get very stuck when a part in a video doesn't make sense. That's why I may like to balance it out by going to uni for a block release perhaps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending