The Student Room Group

Training contract without vacation scheme experience

Hello,

Once again considering law as a career (penultimate year, non-law student), but it's starting to get very late in the day to try and arrange a vacation scheme this summer.

Accordingly my question is as follows: how much of a disadvantage is one at when applying for a training contract if you haven't done a vacation scheme? I don't mean necessarily with the same firm; more just in general.

I'm on for a first from a top 10 uni, have reasonable (but not amazing - definitely something I should improve on) extra-curricular activities etc.

Thanks
There's nothing to stop you applying for vac schemes next Christmas, Easter and Summer with a view to training contracts? You could also look at high street experience, it might not be where you want to be but it will give you experience and it will give you reasons to say why it isn't where you want to be.
Reply 2
Most firms won't even take second year non-law students for vacation schemes (as I found out when looking for places to apply to), so I wouldn't worry about not having any this year. Also remember that vacation schemes are generally more competitive than training contracts and you can show interest in law firms by going to presentations by them or open days too.

I think the Eversheds deadline is 3 days away and their form is really easy to fill in (no written questions, just multiple choice and they say they take second year non-law and they don't start looking at applications until after the deadline, so you could try them.
Reply 3
go for christmas schemes in your 3rd year. apply from october this year.
Reply 4
Thanks to all for the replies.

Specifically to TKR: I am actually in my penultimate year of study, but final year of undergraduate degree. Next year I will be doing a Masters (relating to my current degree, i.e. non-legal.. but I can't rule out that it isn't something I'll want to take further still, so keeping my options open): accordingly my Christmas this year will be incredibly busy with work for that as it is. Thanks for the suggestion tho.
Reply 5
for vac schemes which take place at the end of penultimate year for non-law students, try freshfiels and baker mckenzie. deadlines are in a few days though so be quick!
If I was in your position I'd consider becoming an academic rather than trying for a law firm, it's much more rewarding a career imo (sadly I don't have the grades :s-smilie:).
Reply 7
You don't need to have done a vacation scheme to get a training contract. Quite a few people in my year (we're in the final year of a Law degree) didn't get a vac scheme when they applied in second year, but applied last summer when they got their second year marks and went through the normal interview/assessment process and got a TC that way. Vac schemes are obviously ideal though in that you can really get the feel for a firm, whereas going for an interview is not quite as secure.

Latest

Trending

Trending