The Student Room Group

Hate driving lessons!!

So I’ve had 10 hours of driving lessons so far and I’ve got my own car and drive that with my parents. Clearly my driving can’t be that bad as I obviously drive without dual controls a lot of the time..

My driving instructor gets quite annoyed at me sometimes, almost to the point of shouting, if I do something wrong. The last lesson I had I came home and cried because I hated it so much. It just stresses me out, I’m sat here dreading my driving lesson tomorrow hoping somehow it’ll get cancelled or something. It’s like I should already know how to drive when I clearly told him on my first lesson I had never driven before (this was before I started driving my car). He said that we needed to get something straight between us, he was talking about the clutch. But he made it sound really personal, if I knew I was doing something wrong I wouldn’t have done it 🤷🏼*♀️

**I know that a car is very dangerous and he has the right to shout if I put myself or anyone else in danger but nothing I’ve done has been dangerous at all

What do I do? Am I overreacting or should I try a different instructor?
Reply 1
FIND ANOTHER INSTRUCTOR!!!

Honestly, I have been exactly where you are. I completely lost all of my driving confidence, and became really nervy because of an impatient instructor. My last lesson they basically told me to find a new instructor and that I couldn't drive. I cried so much after, as I'd spent so much money and was trying so hard.

I didn't drive for five months, and then literally today I had my first lesson with a new teacher. She was patient, kind and calm during my lesson and it has made such a difference. I really enjoyed it (rather than dreading it like I used to) and I feel like I'm actually going to progress now!

So, I'd definitely recommend you find someone else. You don't want to waste your time and money on someone who you dread seeing X
Reply 2
Original post by lowza
FIND ANOTHER INSTRUCTOR!!!

Honestly, I have been exactly where you are. I completely lost all of my driving confidence, and became really nervy because of an impatient instructor. My last lesson they basically told me to find a new instructor and that I couldn't drive. I cried so much after, as I'd spent so much money and was trying so hard.

I didn't drive for five months, and then literally today I had my first lesson with a new teacher. She was patient, kind and calm during my lesson and it has made such a difference. I really enjoyed it (rather than dreading it like I used to) and I feel like I'm actually going to progress now!

So, I'd definitely recommend you find someone else. You don't want to waste your time and money on someone who you dread seeing X

Thankyou for your reply!! Clearly I’m not overreacting if other people have changed instructors for the same reason! I’m most definitely changing now x
Just tagging @AngryJellyfish to get this moved to Learning to drive, to get you more replies :h:
Original post by Anonymous
So I’ve had 10 hours of driving lessons so far and I’ve got my own car and drive that with my parents. Clearly my driving can’t be that bad as I obviously drive without dual controls a lot of the time..

My driving instructor gets quite annoyed at me sometimes, almost to the point of shouting, if I do something wrong. The last lesson I had I came home and cried because I hated it so much. It just stresses me out, I’m sat here dreading my driving lesson tomorrow hoping somehow it’ll get cancelled or something. It’s like I should already know how to drive when I clearly told him on my first lesson I had never driven before (this was before I started driving my car). He said that we needed to get something straight between us, he was talking about the clutch. But he made it sound really personal, if I knew I was doing something wrong I wouldn’t have done it 🤷🏼*♀️

**I know that a car is very dangerous and he has the right to shout if I put myself or anyone else in danger but nothing I’ve done has been dangerous at all

What do I do? Am I overreacting or should I try a different instructor?

My driving instructor sounds very similar to your experience. I have to say that my driving instructor has got me to test-standard which I can appreciate, but my driving test is tomorrow and on our last lesson he was horrible. Huffing and puffing, shaking his head and being impatient when i got stuff wrong. It surprised me tbh.

Hopefully I can pass tomorrow, but if not, I think i’ll go with somebody else. His behaviour really wasn’t acceptable and it’s important when driving to be in an environment you’re comfortable with. I guess shouting is necessary sometimes when in potential danger, but in general a friendly face and attitude goes a long way.

I’m sorry you have had to cry after lessons and have experienced the dread of lessons, it IS honestly awful, and I have been there myself. But you will get there :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
My first and third instructors raised their voices a bit at me at times in frustration but this was only at a point where I was making dumb mistakes when they knew I was capable of much better. My 2nd one barely complained, I know which type of instructor I definitely preferred (the ones that pushed me). But everyone takes that kind of approach differently, like my friend needs to drive soon but has massive anxiety, if my instructors treated her the same way she'd be in bits within a few lessons.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending