The Student Room Group

Made mistake after passing driving test. scared.

So i passed my test a week ago and went to visit my friend so our kids could have a playdate. on a dual carriageway between 2 roundabouts about a mile long I stayed in the right hand lane like a complete idiot because I was so focused on getting into the right hand lane for the roundabout. someone came behind me and started flashing (we where the only 2 prople on that stretch of road) At the time I couldnt for the life of me understand why I was being flashed. Now lesson learned after I realised. (never driven the road before) Now however im panicking that I will get some sort of summons or something for being such a numpty. Has this happened to anyone else??
Original post by Hevdar
So i passed my test a week ago and went to visit my friend so our kids could have a playdate. on a dual carriageway between 2 roundabouts about a mile long I stayed in the right hand lane like a complete idiot because I was so focused on getting into the right hand lane for the roundabout. someone came behind me and started flashing (we where the only 2 prople on that stretch of road) At the time I couldnt for the life of me understand why I was being flashed. Now lesson learned after I realised. (never driven the road before) Now however im panicking that I will get some sort of summons or something for being such a numpty. Has this happened to anyone else??

These things happen. I've made a bunch of stupid mistakes, everyone does it at some point. I made a mistake in my final driving lesson right before my driving test. You'll have people be real nasty and bully you on the road so you have to get used to it. As you said, you've learned your lesson and won't do it again. Don't worry about it. I'd suggest getting a 'P' sign for your car - people can be a little more understanding if you have one on and are usually more patient if you make a mistake. It takes a little bit of the pressure off you whilst you practice and build your confidence.
Reply 2
Original post by Hevdar

You lane hogged, just try not to do it again - many experienced drivers do the same though, don't worry.

Original post by hannxm
I'd suggest getting a 'P' sign for your car - people can be a little more understanding if you have one on and are usually more patient if you make a mistake.

I've found it's usually the opposite - I certainly don't treat people with a P plate with more understanding, nor do many people. Some say it makes you an easy target, especially in a crash situation where blame can be quickly attributed to inexperience.
Reply 3
Ive found that too. I wore my P plates for 1 day and got the same sort of reaction I did when I was a learner. took them off and 99% people have been perfectly fine. Just completely spaced on that dual carriageway. I worked so hard to get my license (passed first time) that I dont want to lose it. its been a godsend for my little family. xx
Lots of drivers make mistakes. Nothing to be concerned about as long as they werent too dangerous.

I wore my P plates for about a month before I decided to take them off. I found people had less patience with me but it gave me the confidence that if I stalled the people behind would knows its because I am not yet used to it. Once I was used to the car I never drove with them on again.
Honestly, don't worry about it. They say that you actually learn the most about driving after you've passed your test :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending