The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
You can't actually study Medicine as an undergrad in the US. You can do a Pre-Med program where you'll study things like Chemistry and Biology, but you don't actually study "medicine" until you go to medical school as a graduate student.
Reply 41
HDoris
You can't actually study Medicine as an undergrad in the US. You can do a Pre-Med program where you'll study things like Chemistry and Biology, but you don't actually study "medicine" until you go to medical school as a graduate student.

As already pointed out twice :wink:
Reply 42
Fluffy
As already pointed out twice :wink:
To be fair, I wouldn't want to wade through two pages of this abortion of a thread to check.
Reply 43
Renal
To be fair, I wouldn't want to wade through two pages of this abortion of a thread to check.

It was one page then... :p:
Reply 44
Fluffy
It was one page then... :p:
If it's three now and his is at the top of it...
Reply 45
Renal
If it's three now and his is at the top of it...

It's 2 pages of thread - the top post was posted when there was only 1 page, making it 2...
Reply 46
Page 3 of 3
:wtf?:
Reply 47
Different number of posts per page settings?
Reply 48
Vazzyb
nah, oxford's clincal school is definately better, since the people do well at cambridge seem to go there preferentially
but I couldnt study anatomy without dissection, just wouldn't make sense - I think our pre-clinical is probably better since its so closely related to the Nat Sci deps

Erm, not all of the top people go. And from what I've heard from Elles etc, I'm quite glad I'm in Cambridge.
Reply 49
oo really? Elles - tell me some bad stuff about Oxford please lol
Reply 50
Hmm - I'm intrigued by what I've said that reinforces Helen's Cambridge decision too! :p:

Grumbles about the frequency of exams in the 5th year, perhaps? But then the alternative is massive finals covering everything & a big deal Path exam in 5th year inspires me less than specialty ones... so swings & roundabouts?
Reply 51
Elles
Hmm - I'm intrigued by what I've said that reinforces Helen's Cambridge decision too! :p:

Grumbles about the frequency of exams in the 5th year, perhaps? But then the alternative is massive finals covering everything & a big deal Path exam in 5th year inspires me less than specialty ones... so swings & roundabouts?

Well, your O&G hell (no birth sign-offs here!), your ridiculously long Mich term (ours was 18 weeks and I thought that was bad!) and the impression you gave of your DGH placements, which didn't seem as organised/useful/fun as ours were. Obviously all down to perception. I don't know enough about your exams to comment on that side of things - and we do have exams for most of our attachments, they're just less important.
Reply 52
Ah yes, though I think O&G was particularly hellish for me - other people got them in an easy week. As a bit of an aside, can see why it might be useful to have sign-offs though, some of our people who went abroad met an elective student from Nameless UK Medical School who had obviously done her O&G attachment & was now doing an elective in it - but hadn't even seen a birth yet?!, let alone delivered 4... :eek:

5th year is long - but there's floating leave you can take (I have 5 days coming up :biggrin:) & then the specialties are dusted.

DGHs are variable - but that's probably the same everywhere. Some of my gripes would have been firm specific things about how my group 'chose' to organize & allocate the placements!
Reply 53
Elles
Ah yes, though I think O&G was particularly hellish for me - other people got them in an easy week. As a bit of an aside, can see why it might be useful to have sign-offs though, some of our people who went abroad met an elective student from Nameless UK Medical School who had obviously done her O&G attachment & was now doing an elective in it - but hadn't even seen a birth yet?!, let alone delivered 4... :eek:

5th year is long - but there's floating leave you can take (I have 5 days coming up :biggrin:) & then the specialties are dusted.

DGHs are variable - but that's probably the same everywhere. Some of my gripes would have been firm specific things about how my group 'chose' to organize & allocate the placements!

Yeah - as I said, a lot of it's down to perceptions, but then that's what we have to go on most of the time! I'm just not aware of any evidence that Oxford's clinical school is "better" in any tangible way. It's true that the Cambridge transfers generally have at least one first, but just as many if not more of those people stay here, so I'm not really sure how relevant that is. Sure, our clinical school lets in Cambridge students with less perfect grades, but yours does the same for Oxford students - and I'd imagine we'd be pretty stringent with and Oxonians wanting to transfer our way!

Latest

Trending

Trending