The Student Room Group

2018 Driving test fail experiences

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmamariekitty
I had another one today and also failed with two majors

It’s so fustrating , specially when you know you’ve done it straight away
Original post by Soph8807
Just had my first driving test today and failed with 2 majors :frown:( don’t think I’ve ever been so heartbroken I don’t want to do it again but know I need to my confidence has been knocked massively how do I get out of this rut

Honestly, don't be so hard on yourself.

Learning to drive is a completely new skill and it takes time to master it. Believe me, some of the drivers I see on the road now don't deserve their licence so even experienced drivers make mistakes.

I still make mistakes and I've been driving for a while. It's all part of the process.

I found this infographic which shows all of the main reasons why learners don't pass their driving test: https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/640637115717934607/

Could be helpful if any of them apply to you!
Failed the driving test at Ashford (Middlesex) today 11.11AM had 1 serious and 1 minor. The serious was for observation on a mini-roundabout basically I did not look carefully enough to spot a car on my right approaching the roundabout and I should have slowed down and stopped. But instead I went on the roundabout to go left causing the car on the right on honk at me and break sharply. The minor was for turning right at junction I was a bit too close to the right hand lane when I should have been on the left to exit the junction. Pretty gutted and looking forward to book my next test hopefully in the next 2 weeks.
Last test I failed as I was moving off but checked my mirrors too quickly & missed a lorry coming from behind. Then I went 40 on a 30 as I missed the sign & followed the Sat Nav which was wrong, then an ambulance came & I didn't react quickly enough. After the first fail my mind went tbh. I practiced so much & doing that so early on really affected my mentality. I'm a decent driver in lessons & know all the rules & stuff but just find it hard to have a clear, focused mind on test day. Re-booked so hopefully I can finally pass the week after next! :smile:
Reply 24
i had my first driving test yesterday. The whole test went well until we were nearing the test centre, i stopped at a mini roundabout to give way to a bus and i didnt realise he was telling me to go first as he wouldnt be able to get through, so cars behind me started horning! Was so annoyed because i was so close!
Plus i didnt like that examiner.
Reply 25
I how 14 minors and 3 serious beat that 😂 I panicked I was so nervous I couldn't even breath never mind drive I did not take directions very well ended up driving at a dead end was a horrible experience and I forgot everything I had learnt in the past year! Kinda feel **** as I don't have a job and the whole process is expensive 😩😭
Reply 26
I passed my in second try. key is be calm and compose. I knew its very difficult.First i failed because i didn't move, after pedestrian passed. because car was in front and i was thinking of will maintain safe distance.Second try i took test date as same day and same time, same examiner was there and i drove first same as first time. Drove same road, this time didn't made mistake. Passed.Drive as you are suppose to drive n actual driving within speed limit and come to right most lane.
failed first time with 3 minors and 1 serious - merging onto a dual carriageway and slipped into the wrong gear causing the car to jump and slow right down, then had a fight with the gear stick and caused about 3 cars behind me to slow right down. nightmare. I was in panic mode so it's really important to plan early and remain calm.

passed second time with 2 minors.
Original post by Multitalented me
Last test I failed as I was moving off but checked my mirrors too quickly & missed a lorry coming from behind. Then I went 40 on a 30 as I missed the sign & followed the Sat Nav which was wrong, then an ambulance came & I didn't react quickly enough. After the first fail my mind went tbh. I practiced so much & doing that so early on really affected my mentality. I'm a decent driver in lessons & know all the rules & stuff but just find it hard to have a clear, focused mind on test day. Re-booked so hopefully I can finally pass the week after next!

Ambulances have 7 minutes to get to the most serious incidents. That's measured from the time the call is made. So let's assume that the ambulance is dispatched after 1 minute (which is still pretty quick to determine the nature and location of call). That gives them 360 seconds to get to the location of the incident.

You taking a couple of extra seconds to react and let the ambulance through might not seem much to you, but it’s everything to a person who’s life is in danger. CPR needs to be started ASAP to be as effective as possible, and that still only has a 10% success rate. Even if it isn’t a cardiac arrest then people are panicking (someone had to be around to call the ambulance) and in that situation every second feels like an hour.
Reply 29
My experience , I failed once , I was so angry for sure . Rebooked a week later and passed .

I have been driving since then , but I have realised I didn’t learn a lot . My instructors only taught me to pass the test. In real life I find it hard and I panic when I drive . I have so far in the last 3 months of driving made uncountable errors , hit someone’s car and a pole .
Yes ! I can either give up driving for a while or go back and get a few more lessons .
I don’t only want to be safe but I don’t want to harm anyone on the road , :smile:
What am saying is learn as much as you can , not just because you want to pass a text the real life driving is ... a challenge 😊
(edited 5 years ago)
I failed my third test today.
I'm never going to pass :frown:
Original post by kishxx01
I failed my third test today.
I'm never going to pass :frown:

You will. Keep going.
I have sat 3 tests now and failed. 1st test I failed with only a left turn at a mini roundabout and then park when safe to do, I done my parallel park which was ok and advised move off when safe. I was totally aware of a junction/slip road not far behind me so I check behind me twice. A mixture of the other driver not stopping at all at the give way lines and me taking too long to pull away I failed. Pity that driver hadn’t needed a pee before they left the house that day eh.

I now have roughly two months to pass my test. I changed instructor which helped he has advised me to book my test. I’m nervous but also realise I can either try and fail before my theory runs out or accept defeat and have thrown a lot of money away more or less.

We can only keep trying. Also I remember reading about a woman that sag a total of 50 tests. Surely if she can pass we can.

On a side note. Anyone that’s on this thread and they’re ****ging or belittling others who are struggling remember we are all different and learn things in different ways. That’s the nice version the version I would normally use is stop being a knob, say something productive or supportive to others or don’t bother.
Reply 33
I had my test yesterday, I was very confident I would pass, my instructor had so much faith in me., I feel so disappointed and angry with myself. I was asked to do a reverse parking at the test center, it was the first task I was asked to carry out, in that 2 minutes of panicking I went over the line and that was considered a major. I don't have any other errors, not a single mainor just the one major. I'm so mad at myself
I failed mine yesterday 3 serious 1 is pedestrian The 2 is the sat nav
i took my test yesterday and failed Nano second I made mistakes when we’re heading back to the test centre what a bummer I’ve got 3 serious fault 1 is the zebra crossing I just missed one of the pedestrian wants to cross and I didn’t let him cross.2 is the sat nav what is a bare left that is all my faults for nano seconds
I booked my test again and it on 31 of July . I will update you all guys if fail or pass 😊
Original post by Multitalented me
Last test I failed as I was moving off but checked my mirrors too quickly & missed a lorry coming from behind. Then I went 40 on a 30 as I missed the sign & followed the Sat Nav which was wrong, then an ambulance came & I didn't react quickly enough. After the first fail my mind went tbh. I practiced so much & doing that so early on really affected my mentality. I'm a decent driver in lessons & know all the rules & stuff but just find it hard to have a clear, focused mind on test day. Re-booked so hopefully I can finally pass the week after next! :smile:

I did the same thing yesterday I failed my test
Good luck to your next test😊
Original post by Khughes9956
I have sat 3 tests now and failed. 1st test I failed with only a left turn at a mini roundabout and then park when safe to do, I done my parallel park which was ok and advised move off when safe. I was totally aware of a junction/slip road not far behind me so I check behind me twice. A mixture of the other driver not stopping at all at the give way lines and me taking too long to pull away I failed. Pity that driver hadn’t needed a pee before they left the house that day eh.

I now have roughly two months to pass my test. I changed instructor which helped he has advised me to book my test. I’m nervous but also realise I can either try and fail before my theory runs out or accept defeat and have thrown a lot of money away more or less.

We can only keep trying. Also I remember reading about a woman that sag a total of 50 tests. Surely if she can pass we can.

On a side note. Anyone that’s on this thread and they’re ****ging or belittling others who are struggling remember we are all different and learn things in different ways. That’s the nice version the version I would normally use is stop being a knob, say something productive or supportive to others or don’t bother.

I failed my test yesterday 3 serious faults
Booked my test again next mont hope we all pass the test and we all are better drivers that to the other drivers on the roads😊
Original post by mitchielala
i took my test yesterday and failed Nano second I made mistakes when we’re heading back to the test centre what a bummer I’ve got 3 serious fault 1 is the zebra crossing I just missed one of the pedestrian wants to cross and I didn’t let him cross.2 is the sat nav what is a bare left that is all my faults for nano seconds
I booked my test again and it on 31 of July . I will update you all guys if fail or pass 😊

Best of luck for your next test! I’m sure you’ll pass next time :smile:
I failed my test due to a car being parked in the middle of my lane about 7 metres from the exit on a roundabout. They were talking to a pedestrian with the passenger door open. I recommended making multiple checks before pulling out and round this car. My driving told me to stop immediately. And so I failed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending