The Student Room Group

2018 Driving test fail experiences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I failed today because I almost drove into a van at a mini-roundabout. My examiner has to break... twice. Oops :colondollar:
Reply 41
First time I failed three Majors- firstly i braked sharply without checking my rear mirrors, then I didn't check my left hand wing mirror enough when moving lanes on a round about and then i was too slow on the dual carriageway.
Second test two majors- i was in the wrong lane before going onto a roundabout (i literally couldn't move over too much traffic) and earlier on that same stretch of road i was too slow for the lane (trying to look to move over but couldn't )
it was the same examiner both times
Got my third test in November - hopefully third time lucky
Be really focused and use your understanding of the roads. The examiner says to go straight unless instructed otherwise, I kept going straight and didn’t realise that straight ahead turned into a bus only area, and you had to go left down a side road before that. I was really nervous and I think that’s why I missed it, just make sure to look out for these things and don’t take “go straight” too literally!

I have since passed my driving test and am a much safer driver than if I had passed then.

Another thing is be confident, some people think you should drive really slow and cautiously but you will fail if you are too hesitant as well.
Reply 43
Just act like you know what your doing lol. As far as I’m concerned I nearly crashed on my test. Pray your instructor isn’t a strict *******.
I failed myne on 26th sep. I got 3 minors and 1 major.

I was approaching mini road about with a exit to the left and right. I indicated right, glanced left(he didn’t see me do this, but the left exit is almost in front of me) and went right. (There was no other traffic before, during or after on the round about. He said I didn’t look left :frown:.

Chin up and il try again lol
I failed today, 2 serious faults. The first was at a box junction with traffic lights going right. I just saw the green light for me to go and didn't realise that you could wait in the yellow box and also thought that the traffic coming towards me had a red light so I pulled out and nearly another car turning left from in front. The examiner was really pissed and had to use the dual controls. Totally flunked it really and it's was all going so well before that. The problem was that so although I'd passed my theory a while ago I was not aware with the highway code on box by actions so assumed I couldn't waite in it. To be fair my examiner had never actually told me and i had never actually done a junction like that before. Feel really **** and annoyed having to put myself through more lessons and a test and my confidence has completely plummeted. If you are taking your practical test would really suggest looking at highway code before hand even though you be passed your theory it is easy to forget and that's what cost me
So you stopped in the yellow grid like area? Just put it down to experience and chin up and try again pal. Don’t let it deter you from your goal. I bet you won’t make the same mistake next time.
Failed first time on meeting. I was supposed to creep and crawl and look for oncoming vehicles to give way to, when I simply drove past and was welcomed by a car ahead, just waiting for me to go past. The examiner was so slick about it though because he waited quite a while to mark it lol. I saw him fiddle with his hands and shake his leg, before marking it down just after we exited the route.
Reply 48
Just failed for the second time today on parallel park, which i did perfectly on my last test. Test centre has low pass rates and my sister failed 4 times there and passed 5th time at a different test centre. First time I failed I got 2 minors, one for checking mirrors one for clearance where i apparently drove too close past parked vehicles, i then failed for apparently doing the same thing twice, despite me never being anywhere near hitting a parked car or clipping mirrors.

Anyway failed today for going about 1cm on the grass verge on my parallel park, its my easiest manoeuvre aswell im literally kicking myself. It looked like id left a big enough gap between the car and the grass but obviously not. I also got 9 minors this time and could literally see her writing them down when i was doing nothing wrong. I was thinking why the f*** is she marking me down? She marked me down for going too slow- wed just entered a 20 zone and she didnt even notice! I feel they are extremely harsh and picky, my first test was a perfect drive but no, failed for apparently driving too close past the parked cars, even though was nowhere near touching, LOL, Having my instructor sit in next time at her request as this has been 2 different examiners, both middle aged women. Hope I get a man next time as both my sisters ended up passing with men,

If i fail next time im moving onto another test centre as the one I am using has very low passrates and is known for being extremely hard to pass.
(edited 5 years ago)
I failed first time with 3 minors with 1 dangerous. My satnav was fine, tell me question was fine and show me question was also good. Parallel parking was fantastic. So was a couple of parking up on the left. I got a dangerous at the end while coming back to the test center. He told me to park up on a bay to the right and I rushed it without breaking and nearly hit the ****ing bush. I just need to improve upon my bay parking and my instructor says I am fine with everything else.
Failed today with 1 serious, and 11 minors. The serious was my parallel park- I did it relatively smoothly but I was too far out so I went into first to straighten up and somehow mounted the kerb :/
1st I didnot look left on lane change. parallel park

2nd roundabout didnot look when exit.

3. round about indicator was on left, and I am in right.
near parking car/ lane change
failed my first test today for hitting a curb. Other than that I only got 2 minors and the rest of my driving was pretty good. I had a nice examiner and an easy route. So annoyed at myself for messing it up on something I've never done before
Failed 1st test today, 2 serious, 3 minors. The main one was my deceleration coming off onto the slip road wasn’t good enough and the instructor almost had to intervene :frown: the 2nd was basically because he made me do a stop on the right side of the road when it was unsafe and when I stopped I didn’t look out the back window (isn’t the centre mirror enough? I did shoulder checks) and he claimed I didn’t stop when traffic was passing when I was reversing but I did. I would’ve been mad if that was my only serious because he’s wrong but I failed anyway so it’s fine I guess. Now I know I need to wait 10 days but near me there aren’t any available until December wth
Original post by Student1191
Failed 1st test today, 2 serious, 3 minors. The main one was my deceleration coming off onto the slip road wasn’t good enough and the instructor almost had to intervene :frown: the 2nd was basically because he made me do a stop on the right side of the road when it was unsafe and when I stopped I didn’t look out the back window (isn’t the centre mirror enough? I did shoulder checks) and he claimed I didn’t stop when traffic was passing when I was reversing but I did. I would’ve been mad if that was my only serious because he’s wrong but I failed anyway so it’s fine I guess. Now I know I need to wait 10 days but near me there aren’t any available until December wth

Hi, if you’re keen to do your test a bit sooner than that then I’d recommend speedytests.com. At the moment the website is only £5 and it manages to find you an earlier slot and change your booking for you! Mine’s been brought forward 2 weeks from the website already. Just a recommendation :smile:
Failed yesterday unfortunately:frown: test was at 8:20am, it was going really well up until my parallel park lol. 2 serious on the parallel park for observation & control and 3 minors
Original post by lemonn27
Failed yesterday unfortunately:frown: test was at 8:20am, it was going really well up until my parallel park lol. 2 serious on the parallel park for observation & control and 3 minors

Ah just go really slow and keep looking everywhere. Maybe even stop halfway through to scan all around
Original post by Gradebaker
Hi, if you’re keen to do your test a bit sooner than that then I’d recommend speedytests.com. At the moment the website is only £5 and it manages to find you an earlier slot and change your booking for you! Mine’s been brought forward 2 weeks from the website already. Just a recommendation :smile:

I might do it. I like that you get a refund if it’s not bought forwards
Original post by Student1191
Ah just go really slow and keep looking everywhere. Maybe even stop halfway through to scan all around

Yehh definitely gonna work on that, examiner said if I checked my right blindspot even once more it could’ve been a pass 🙃
Original post by lemonn27
Yehh definitely gonna work on that, examiner said if I checked my right blindspot even once more it could’ve been a pass 🙃

Yeah it can be annoying, I failed yesterday too :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending