The Student Room Group

2018 Driving test fail experiences

Scroll to see replies

(Original post by JME1993)failed first time with 3 minors and 1 serious - merging onto a dual carriageway and slipped into the wrong gear causing the car to jump and slow right down, then had a fight with the gear stick and caused about 3 cars behind me to slow right down. nightmare. I was in panic mode so it's really important to plan early and remain calm.

passed second time with 2 minors.

Congrats!! How long after did you sit your second test? I got 3 minors and a serious also
I've got my second test tomorrow morning, I'm a bag of nerves. I thought I'd feel better second time round. I'm hoping I pass this time. I'm going to take it easy and try not to let my nerves get the better of me.
Reply 82
Original post by Dansam12
I've got my second test tomorrow morning, I'm a bag of nerves. I thought I'd feel better second time round. I'm hoping I pass this time. I'm going to take it easy and try not to let my nerves get the better of me.

Don’t worry I passed on my 5th go just chew some gum and pretend you’re driving alone I got some rescue pastels which helped
1st test- failed due to following a car too closely.
1 major, 5 minors.

2nd test- pulled out at a roundabout at the wrong time. literally 2 minutes from the test centre. The driving examiner actually said he was gutted for me. I was just really silly as I relaxed too much because we were so close I got exciting thinking I’d passed. Only had two minors aside from that ahhh!

I’d never done either of these majors ever in a lesson. I don’t know why I do it lol.

Well third time let’s see what happens haha
I used rescue remedy, left most of my nerves at home and passed with 4 minors. I'm so happy it took me almost a year in total to learn and pass. My hard work payed off 😊
Original post by Dija51
Don’t worry I passed on my 5th go just chew some gum and pretend you’re driving alone I got some rescue pastels which helped
Original post by Trustinpingu
1st test- failed due to following a car too closely.
1 major, 5 minors.

2nd test- pulled out at a roundabout at the wrong time. literally 2 minutes from the test centre. The driving examiner actually said he was gutted for me. I was just really silly as I relaxed too much because we were so close I got exciting thinking I’d passed. Only had two minors aside from that ahhh!

I’d never done either of these majors ever in a lesson. I don’t know why I do it lol.

Well third time let’s see what happens haha

2nd test sounds very unlucky! I remember about 15 mins into my test I thought I failed because I came to a sudden stop which would have endangered the driver at the back of me. But I soldiered through and they said it was fine and pass with only one minor. You can never be too relaxed when driving!

When's your next test?
Reply 86
Hey all Thanks for the replies, I failed my third test :frown: the examiner was awful he the one who failed me the first time. He said I failed because I apparently caused someone behind me to slam on brakes whilst turning into the test centre which just was remotely true. When I asked him to elaborate this he started splattering on his words I said no I'm sorry that did not happen, and I think this is a really unfair fail considering I only got 2 minors one for shunting a little in my forward parking into a bay and the second for stalling as I literally started the car to leave the parking space at the test centre! He got really missed off with me and said again the decision is final threw the papers on my lap got out and slammed the door whilst saying to my instructer have a word with her. I'm not atall gobby or confrontational so it really got to me. Changing test centres really don't want to get him again think I'm going to try sale. Aw I hope hope 3rd time lucky for you :biggrin: it's so frustrating isn't it !!
Reply 87
Was not remotely true*
Reply 88
I'm rebooking at the end of the month will be in April sometime :biggrin:
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
2nd test sounds very unlucky! I remember about 15 mins into my test I thought I failed because I came to a sudden stop which would have endangered the driver at the back of me. But I soldiered through and they said it was fine and pass with only one minor. You can never be too relaxed when driving!

When's your next test?

Ahah yeah I was! I hate that bitter feeling you carry around for like a week after you fail. Oh well it was my fault! That’s really good on you though, it’s so easy to pay attention to every little thing you think you’ve done wrong and get distracted so well done! My next test is on the 29th
Reply 90
I know with that sorrowful look you carry around Aswel haha it's devastating and some how so cruel hahaha :biggrin: aw thank you I will eventually get there but I'm so ready nowwwww lol maybe that's my problem I want it to much 😃😃 ohh not long now ! I hope it's this time around for you and always remember MIRROR SIGNAL MANOUVOUR lol and of course the old 10 to 2! :biggrin: :biggrin: also...I would like to apologies for how many spelling mistakes were in my previous messege, the damn auto correct is being a **** atm and making me sound severely illiterate. 😳😳 believe it or not I am a teacher of 4-5 year olds and on a daily basis hand out spellings. Shocking considering it looks like I can't spell for **** hahahaha
Original post by Sara p
Hey all Thanks for the replies, I failed my third test :frown: the examiner was awful he the one who failed me the first time. He said I failed because I apparently caused someone behind me to slam on brakes whilst turning into the test centre which just was remotely true. When I asked him to elaborate this he started splattering on his words I said no I'm sorry that did not happen, and I think this is a really unfair fail considering I only got 2 minors one for shunting a little in my forward parking into a bay and the second for stalling as I literally started the car to leave the parking space at the test centre! He got really missed off with me and said again the decision is final threw the papers on my lap got out and slammed the door whilst saying to my instructer have a word with her. I'm not atall gobby or confrontational so it really got to me. Changing test centres really don't want to get him again think I'm going to try sale. Aw I hope hope 3rd time lucky for you :biggrin: it's so frustrating isn't it !!

Ohhhh I know how you feel! I had the exact situation on one of my exams :mad: I was at a big roundabout and started to break gradually until I came to a full stop. The examiner failed me because a guy in a van behind me ASSUMED that I will go and he had to break harshly but only because he was speeding as the traffic lights before the roundabout were changing! He also added that I made him very angry and that "he was waving his little hands at you". I was so pissed off lol. The gap between the traffic lights and the roundabout is about 20 meters, so I was going very slowly as I know from experience how busy that roundabout is (you always have to stop) and a lot of the time pedestrians don't wait for a green light at the zebra crossing. My examiner was a right ******** at the end and made racists comments about a pedestrian which I didn't find amusing at all. He also made me read a number plate from 80 meters instead of 20. Luckily I have 20/20 vision but at that moment I started to doubt myself right at the start lol.
Reply 92
Awww God it's it joke isnt it!! That clearly wasn't your fault and what are you supposed to do just drive into the traffic at a round about! I remember a similar thing happened to me in a lesson once same sort of thing stopped was checking see if I could go looked in my rear view and seen this white bmw hurtling down behind me I couldn't of gone anywhere and the ******* crashed into the back of me ! My instructer had a right go at me, got out and the man said to me in so sorry I thought you had gone already, I said where to mate my death! How could you not have seen me and where was I supposed to go! He then apolgiesed again and again saying it was his fault he was going 43 mph!!!! my instructer still blamed me ! I went mad of course but it's a joke its like no-one else make mistakes only us coz were learning or taking a test..we can't win! Lol my god the joys of trying to obtain a licence ! When I pass and get a car I'm going to annoy the hell of people blasting queen whilst driving just coz I can 😜😝 haha we will get there in the end!
Original post by Sara p
Awww God it's it joke isnt it!! That clearly wasn't your fault and what are you supposed to do just drive into the traffic at a round about! I remember a similar thing happened to me in a lesson once same sort of thing stopped was checking see if I could go looked in my rear view and seen this white bmw hurtling down behind me I couldn't of gone anywhere and the ******* crashed into the back of me ! My instructer had a right go at me, got out and the man said to me in so sorry I thought you had gone already, I said where to mate my death! How could you not have seen me and where was I supposed to go! He then apolgiesed again and again saying it was his fault he was going 43 mph!!!! my instructer still blamed me ! I went mad of course but it's a joke its like no-one else make mistakes only us coz were learning or taking a test..we can't win! Lol my god the joys of trying to obtain a licence ! When I pass and get a car I'm going to annoy the hell of people blasting queen whilst driving just coz I can 😜😝 haha we will get there in the end!

Learners can never win with anyone can they haha. I always look in my rear mirror when breaking just to make sure I won’t get another idiot sitting on my ass! I already passed after a million mental breakdowns lol x Once I passed, I started driving straight away and let me tell you... the roads you know so well start to feel so small! Everything is so much easier. It’s the stress that makes everything seem harder and for some it makes the whole experience of learning so daunting! x
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Sara p

That's awful, you should have made a formal complaint, i would have if that was me, also which test centre is this? If i get a person like that for my 1st test i think i'd cry
Original post by naziak001
That's awful, you should have made a formal complaint, i would have if that was me, also which test centre is this? If i get a person like that for my 1st test i think i'd cry

From what I’ve read complaints don’t really change anything - it’s appalling lol. Don’t worry about who you’re gonna get too much. When your examiner calls your name, smile and don’t look too traumatised if they look scary haha.
Reply 96
No we can't win haha yeah everyone has said that to me, I got chatting to one of the parents at my school, she failed a few times and she said it's never anyone else fault just the leaner...She then said once you pass you don't do half of what's drummed into you. I did put in a complaint about my instructer for it as he was with a crash course company at the time but all I got back was he's been a driving instructer with them for years and he's very reliable. Nothing was done. So I left it. Yeah I know what you mean...he was horrible the examiner for my first and third test. It's at west didsbury Manchester. Just want this stress over with now !
Good Luck for your next test.
Reply 98
Thank you 😊
I've failed for the second time. I have honestly given up. The first time was because my parallel parking was wide and I didn't fix it because I panicked so I gave up. The second time was because i didn't stop before the keep clear but instead stopped on the keep clear. First time 7 minors, second time 2 minors.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending