The Student Room Group

English essay writing

Dirurjdjehfixoowlenfcksjekckkxoooooososiekrkdkslks
(edited 2 years ago)
I used to be the same about typing my essays, especially because that way I would be able to get my homework out of the way, but honestly I think you should try to use the computer less and do practise questions with pen, because you'll have a much more realistic view of how your doing. Keep in mind, your writing doesn't have to be neat, the examiner knows you're under timed conditions and pressure when you're answering. As long as its legible, where you can read without having to stop and squint at the letters, trying to make out the words, it should be OK. Practise now and you should improve. Have a look at example answers and see what kind of handwriting examiners actually critique, because many people tend to write inconsistently sized letters, especially when they're rushing to put their points down on paper.
Original post by Aseeb Tariq
Hello, I need advise on how I should practice essay writing for English. I'm going to be doing my Literature and Language exams this year, and I don't really do any practice essay questions other than the ones I get for homework. So I'm wondering if I should type up the essay on a computer under timed conditions (I'm a fairly fast typer) or should I do it with a pen? I'll feel guilty if I do it on a computer since I'm actually fast at typing compared to the pace at which I write on paper, so I think it wouldn't really help with timing my answers (which is something I need to work on). But, my handwriting is bad, I swear I'll spend a total of five minutes in an English exam crossing out words that don't look right, but don't get me wrong, my grammar is pretty decent, I usually make a single grammar/spelling mistake on a whole paper if I'm being careless, it's just that my handwriting is pretty bad and I'm finding it really hard to write neat without sacrificing exam time, I need to write slow to write neat, which is something I can't do in exams. Do you guys have any tips on how I should improve my handwriting and should I type up my essays or write them using a pen?

When I'm writing you'll find that my letter sizes vary throughout to a large extent and you'll also find a few letters floating above the lines and finally you'll see that my letters look pretty bad.

15 min timed essay plans.
exam papers and look at Mr Bruff for your texts.

If yo arent using the pc in exams, then practice handwriting the essays as thats what will happen in the exam
Reply 3
Haha you can tell I’m stressed out, I mistakenly spelled ‘advice’ as ‘advise’ at the start. Thanks for the responses though. 🙏

Quick Reply

Latest