The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Probably, driving to see clients and stuff?

Everyone I know at the Big 4 needs theirs.

EDIT: Saying that, I don't know many tax people. But getting the license ASAP is helpful.
From my first six months' or so experience, as long as you have a means of regularly getting to the office you're based at (train, bus, etc.), you'd be fine without a driving license if working in tax. If/when you need to go to a client site for a meeting, you're likely to be able to travel with a more senior person to get there, if need be. If you're going on your own (unlikely to start with), I would think you can claim taxi expenses if there's no public transport to the client site.
Reply 3
Probably not essential in tax.

If its a London office definitly not essential even in audit.

All my away jobs I go by train and then either hop in a car with some else if we're staying at a hotel or get a taxi from the station to the client if I'm commuting daily.
Reply 4
don't need it for tax - if you are in a regional office for audit then you more than likely will do but other than that you should be fine.
I've got a driving licence but not a car (I'm in regional tax). If you're going to a client, you could always get a lift / use public transport. If I'm going to other cities for courses etc, I just take the train.
Reply 6
I did audit in a regional big 4 office for 2 years getting everywhere by public transport-its perfectly possible (and gets you out of sh***y stockcounts at 3 in the morning). Firms just like you to have a driving license to make their life easier.
Reply 7
If you've got a car it's worth using though - you can claim back substantially more in petrol expenses than the stuff really costs (yeah yeah, wear 'n'tear, i know...)

You certainly don't need one in London. If you need to get anywhere, just train and cab it. You can even expense the railcard.
Reply 8
I know quite a few audit people, nevermind tax people, who manage without driving licenses. They use a combination of trains, taxis, and get lifts from people.

Personally I think they are mad considered the money to be made from mileage, but they manage fine so I wouldn't say a license is essential to them.

Latest

Trending

Trending