The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Living at home whilst at uni?

Hi,

I'm starting Brookes in September and I'll be living at home. I'm transferring unis as I'm currently in my fist year, and going straight into second year at Brookes. I wanted to move closer to home and decided its cheaper to stay at home since Brookes is my local uni.

What support does Brookes offer for students living at home, if anything? Is there car parking available?
Original post by hatcs001
Hi,

I'm starting Brookes in September and I'll be living at home. I'm transferring unis as I'm currently in my fist year, and going straight into second year at Brookes. I wanted to move closer to home and decided its cheaper to stay at home since Brookes is my local uni.

What support does Brookes offer for students living at home, if anything? Is there car parking available?

https://www.brookes.ac.uk/travel/parking/student-car-parking/

You should contact the uni direct, but not sure what extra support you think you would need?
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Original post by hatcs001
Hi,

Hi there,

I'm not living at home nor am I a UK student myself, but I do know that there's some financial support for UK undergraduates living at home! Brookes offers a Bursary Scheme which is available for UK students depending on your household income. You won't need to apply for the bursary since Brookes will already have your information as provided by the Student Loan Company. You can have a look at the following table to see if you're eligible for the bursary:

Household income (2nd & 3rd Year Bursary)
Under £10,000 household income gives a £2000 bursary
£10,000 - £24,999 household income gives a £1500 bursary
£25,000 - £34,999 household income gives a £1000 bursary

You will also get given a free BrookesBus pass if you're studying full-time, which essentially makes transportation around Oxford free (and cheaper if you're using other bus companies!). Our Student Union also offers an advice service where you can book a time to go in to talk to them about your finances and they will try their best to help you out. In terms of parking, most people I know will either try to get a spot near South Park at Warneford lane (where you can park for 2 hours) or Cheney Lane (where you can park for as many hours as you'd like, but is usually full during term-time).

I hope that this has helped somehow!

Tina
Student Ambassador
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending