The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

help please!!

hi everyone!
right basically im currently on an unplanned gap year and hoping to go to uni next year. this time last year i wanted to go to edinburgh but got rejected and ended up going to durham, but leaving after finding it to be not at all my cup of tea, ie. far too many rahs and wayyyyy too small! and quite grotty accommodation!
i was planning this year to go to maybe newcastle or manchester but ive just recieved an offer from edinburgh which has made me wonder if i should go there.
basically just hoping for your opinions on whether im likely to find it in any way similar to durham! thank you xxxx
Well Edinburgh is said to be full of rahs, but I think its got lots more going for it than Durham.
I mean the city itself is amazing, and the courses there are said to be very intresting as they are four rather than five years.
If you got rejected last year but had a feeling it would have been your first choice then I'd say you may as well go with your gut instinct from last application cycle to be honest.

I would have applied to Edinburgh if It wasnt in Scotland, it definately looked like an amazing place to study on the Open Day. I know of someone who went there from state school and is incredibly happy there. Its not like everyone there is stuck up!

Just because you had bad experiences at Durham, does not mean Edinburgh will be the same.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
If I could chose between Edinburgh, Manchester and Newcastle, I think I'd go for Edinburgh. Were you considering Manchester and Newcastle because you didn't think you'd get Edinburgh? If so, I'd go with Edinburgh :smile:
Well I'll make a generalisation here and say that student accommodation is grotty. That supplied by the university (any university) is. So no judgement should really be based on that.

We can't really tell you where you want to go, it's probably best that you either list all the universities' pros and cons and compare or you write a list of what you want from university, where you live and your course and decide which place has everything (or at least most of what you're looking for).
There are some similarities between Edinburgh and Durham, they are both 'historical' as places and universities, populated by people who went to private schools (not entirely, there's probably a very similar ratio though), academically esteemed to about the same level...

As for meeting rahs, you'll bump into them. I assume your problem at Durham was ending up in accommodation surrounded by them, to avoid that here, pick wisely and stay away from Chancellor's Court (and all of Pollock as a general rule)...

Latest

Trending

Trending