The Student Room Group

Debate: Boxing is the hardest sport...

This poll is closed

Is boxing the hardest sport and do you have any involvement?

Yes - I get involved (or used to be on a regular basis) 30%
Yes - but I'm not involved in the sport 15%
No - there are harder sports and I know from experience 25%
No - but I have never done boxing30%
Total votes: 20
The fitness aspect is so rigorous, let alone improving your boxing technique. Boxing hands down has got to be the hardest sport out there but I have heard clueless people claim that cricket is harder or tennis! I'd love to see these "athletes" experience a real day of training.

Who else does boxing? Do you compete or use it for fitness?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The concept of a “hardest” sport is complete stupidity.
Tennis is exhausting as you have to be doing peak physical activity for hours on end.
Boxing is exhausting because you have to have quick bursts of energy whilst getting punched.
Rally driving is exhausting because you’re doing lots of physical work and also mental work.
Rugby is exhausting as you’re nearly always running and getting knocked about.
Swimming is exhausting as you’re trying to move as fast as possible through water.

All sports at the top level are hard and exhausting.
Reply 2
Original post by Milax1x

This.

OP you're a goon who just wants to feel superior. Sure, you can beat someone up.
But fitness? Try an Ironman.
Mental toughness? Go climb one of the highest and harshest mountains in the world in the Himalayas.
Mental dexterity? Try driving an F1 car.

Utterly impossible and completely redundant to try and compare sports.
boxing, tennis, f1 or just most individual sports wil all be demanding at the highest level. I think tennis is harder because of the really long length of the matches. Even f1 requires a lot of physical fitness maybe more than boxing
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Let’s not forget how wimpish Amir Khan got when it came to the I’m a celeb sports
Original post by Milax1x
Tennis is exhausting as you have to be doing peak physical activity for hours on end.
Boxing is exhausting because you have to have quick bursts of energy whilst getting punched.
Rally driving is exhausting because you’re doing lots of physical work and also mental work.
Rugby is exhausting as you’re nearly always running and getting knocked about.
Swimming is exhausting as you’re trying to move as fast as possible through water.

All sports at the top level are hard and exhausting.

Obviously there are other combat sports and then those at the lower end of the spectrum involving the use of a racket. Tennis is a common game amongst older people - who have less stamina - and young to middle aged couples.

The ball only sports don't require the same levels of fitness and this is reflected in football where obese individuals, who are very skilled, excel in the sport.

Rugby is the closest to boxing.
Original post by BusinessExpert
The fitness aspect is so rigorous, let alone improving your boxing technique. Boxing hands down has got to be the hardest sport out there but I have heard clueless people claim that cricket is harder or tennis! I'd love to see these "athletes" experience a real day of training.

I do boxing and used to do tennis in my formative years. I can definitely say boxing is harder especially when you fight competitive club matches against other competitive fighters
Original post by Milax1x
Let’s not forget how wimpish Amir Khan got when it came to the I’m a celeb sports

Seriously? You singled out one boxer and over a fixed reality show?
Reply 8
Chess is the difficultest sport.
Reply 9
Obviously there are other combat sports and then those at the lower end of the spectrum involving the use of a racket. Tennis is a common game amongst older people - who have less stamina - and young to middle aged couples.

The ball only sports don't require the same levels of fitness and this is reflected in football where obese individuals, who are very skilled, excel in the sport.

You might be a business expert but certaintly not a sport one if you don’t understand the difference between a hobby and professional boxers. There’s an entire weight class in boxing where you are considered an athlete by being obese.
Original post by markovchain17
boxing, tennis, f1 or just most individual sports wil all be demanding at the highest level. I think tennis is harder because of the really long length of the matches. Even f1 requires a lot of physical fitness maybe more than boxing

I have heard that F1 drivers train to similar levels of boxers as they need to be extremely fit to cope at all; plus, Lewis Hamilton does boxing workouts.
Original post by Milax1x
You might be a business expert but certaintly not a sport one if you don’t understand the difference between a hobby and professional boxers. There’s an entire weight class in boxing where you are considered an athlete by being obese.

Obese boxers still have better cardio levels than overweight footballers because of the extreme lengths one has to go to for any chance of competing.
Obese boxers still have better cardio levels than overweight footballers because of the extreme lengths one has to go to for any chance of competing.

[Citation needed]

Boxing may be in your eyes classes as "the hardest sport" , but tenichally any sport at a high end level is hard and no offence but for boxing you basically need to be able to throw and miss a punch and that takes how long to learn? whereas other sports have multiple different skills you need to work at. a boxer may spend time in a gym having to do bicep curls or whatever and maybe a few hours doind to boxing but compared to other sports i woudn't count boxing has the hardest sport because most sports become hard physically and mentally at a high enough level. i think you just feel boxing is the hardest sport because that what boxers think because they are
self obsessed and don't open their eyes long enough to work out that every sport in taxing no mater how physically draining it is because it is not all about how physically tiring t is but also about how mentally draing it is. so tenichally you are incorect. And you say how you would love to see a different athlete try a real training day; i would love to see a boxer try another sports training day for example swimming- trying getting up early and having training before school then trying to have a full day at school then straight after school landtraining then gym then more swimming. that is what i would call a real training day. to stop being to self obseesed and try and work out all sports are hard and athletes have to be strong to do any type of sport

yeah rugby is hard but so is any sport and tennis is hard enough because in tennis matches can go on for hours and that requires stamina more that boxing or rugby does becaus you don't rest in tennis due to the fact that is 1 or 2 people on a team whereas in rugby there 15 players on the flied at 1 time meaning you have time to rest
Reply 15
MMA and Boxing

If you disagree in the fine words of the Conor Mcgreggor "gtfo of here"

But yh all sports are hard tbh
Original post by as125
MMA and Boxing

If you disagree in the fine words of the Conor Mcgreggor "gtfo of here"

But yh all sports are hard tbh
love how u use a quote from Conor Mcgreggor since he is not always the most reposible and doesn't have a good reputaion and since you think MMA and Boxing shows uyou think you are a "lad" and "hard" which probs isn't the case maybe try other sports at competive levels since they are all hard and also anyone can give an oppion so as chris froome said to a police officer "f off"
Reply 17
Original post by manthag10
love how u use a quote from Conor Mcgreggor since he is not always the most reposible and doesn't have a good reputaion and since you think MMA and Boxing shows uyou think you are a "lad" and "hard" which probs isn't the case maybe try other sports at competive levels since they are all hard and also anyone can give an oppion so as chris froome said to a police officer "f off"

🤣😂🤣 Love how triggered you got my that

No I don't think I'm a "lad" or "hard" as you say, pretty stupid

I literally quoted Conor Mcgreggor because he's funny and entertainment and I think you need to learn how to read because I literally said at the bottom of my post that all sports are hard. I said Boxing and MMA as they pose more long term risk and danger

For example, me and you play a tennis game and the next day we do boxing, the risk of me knocking you the FOOK out is much higher in boxing

I do boxing, yes the training and fitness required is crazy, but I don't know if that makes it the "hardest sport", I mean I'd struggle to do a 100 mile ultra-marathon

Different people have different strengths, and different sports are for different people. There's no single sport that makes you do all the rest easy or to be an expert on them all. What's hard for some, might be easy for others and the other way around.

Here's a horse. Give me a dressage display.

Here's a high bar. Do something gymnastic.

Here's a 'plane. Loop the loop.

France is that way. Swim it.

All you have to do is get that little white ball into that hole a quarter of a mile away, 18 times by hitting it with these sticks. Can you do it in fewer hits than this 70 year old?
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest