The Student Room Group

What's the difference between an MPhil and an MA?

Yes I've Googled but I have found conflicting answers and can't find a contact for Cambridge to answer this one. Basically, what difference, if any, is there between an MPhil and an MA?

Here's what I've found thus far:

A (Philosophy)
A Master of Arts is a postgraduate academic master's degree awarded by universities in North America and the United Kingdom only. The degree is typically studied for in Fine Art, Humanities, Social Sciences or Theology and can be either fully-taught, research-based, or a combination of the two.

North America - The Master of Arts degree is the basic type in most subjects and may be entirely course-based, entirely research-based or (more typically) a mixture. Admission to a master's program is normally contingent upon holding a bachelor's degree, and progressing to a doctoral program usually requires a master's degree.

United Kingdom - The Master of Arts (MA) is awarded in Arts, Humanities, Theology and Social Sciences. However, some universities—particularly those in Scotland—award the Master of Letters (MLitt) to students in the Arts, Humanities, Divinity and Social Sciences. [It should be noted that the MLitt is a research degree at the University of Cambridge, where the Master of Philosophy (MPhil) is the standard one-year taught degree.]

Master of Philosophy (M.Phil)
In the United Kingdom, United States, Australia, New Zealand and some other countries, the Master of Philosophy (M.Phil) is a research degree, requiring the completion of a thesis. It is a lesser degree than the Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), and in some instances may be awarded as a substitute for a PhD thesis which is a marginal fail. It is generally thesis only, and is regarded as a senior or second masters degree. An M.Phil. is generally considered equivalent to the French Diplôme d'études Approfondies or DEA, Spanish Diploma de Estudios Avanzados DEA, or First Doctoral Degree.

In the UK, the M.Phil. is increasingly being used as it is in the USA - a degree offered but rarely taken, by Ph.D./D.Phil. candidates who have yet to complete their dissertation. Officially, however, many students in the UK do not initially study for a PhD/D.Phil: they study for an M.Phil, and the decision to continue from M.Phil. to D.Phil./Ph.D. is taken at the end of year 2 by the student and supervisors.

I've looked at Cambridge's MPhil in Criminology degree and wondered if it is considered to be better than a standard MA considering this master degree programme is for two years rather than just one.

Any help will be greatfulyl appreciated!
Within Cambridge itself, the MPhil is going to be a graduate degree whereas an MA is an honourary thing they give a few years after graduation. To my knowledge (which is little, I don't go there), the MPhil is a taught degree, but I wouldn't be surprised if it varies from field to field, and at most other universities it is a research degree, either terminal or not. Cambridge is an exception to the rule. Essentially, you should focus on undergraduate degrees, taught postgraduate degrees, and research degrees. The names vary a bit, the substance less so.
Reply 2
Caspar David Friedrich
Within Cambridge itself, the MPhil is going to be a graduate degree whereas an MA is an honourary thing they give a few years after graduation. To my knowledge (which is little, I don't go there), the MPhil is a taught degree, but I wouldn't be surprised if it varies from field to field, and at most other universities it is a research degree, either terminal or not. Cambridge is an exception to the rule. Essentially, you should focus on undergraduate degrees, taught postgraduate degrees, and research degrees. The names vary a bit, the substance less so.

Thank you for that.
Reply 3
For my current uni, I know the MPhil is what you register on so that you can test out your PhD proposal, research etc. Once it's been checked and verified, you then upgrade to a PhD

With regards to Cambridge, I think the MPhil is taught due to the reasons that Caspar David Friedrich has pointed out
MPhil is usually 2 years and research based, MA is usually 1 year and taught. (dissertation at end of year usually).

Latest

Trending

Trending