The Student Room Group

Accept Lloyds Banking Group or Imperial College?

I start my commercial banking graduate scheme at Lloyds Banking Group this September, but I heard back from Imperial College Business School who have also made me an offer for an MSc.

I'm really stuck in the middle, because I like the job security and can't wait to finish education and get started (plus escape the whole graduation job applying scene). On the other hand, I would love to get Imperial on my CV and can't help but think I could potentially get into IB or similar.

Thoughts?
If you want IB/high finance go for Imperial, if you are fine with corporate banking do nothing, relax your entire career and make £50k/year max
Original post by xtrembob
If you want IB/high finance go for Imperial, if you are fine with corporate banking do nothing, relax your entire career and make £50k/year max

wat, £50k max? huh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dante991
I start my commercial banking graduate scheme at Lloyds Banking Group this September, but I heard back from Imperial College Business School who have also made me an offer for an MSc.

I'm really stuck in the middle, because I like the job security and can't wait to finish education and get started (plus escape the whole graduation job applying scene). On the other hand, I would love to get Imperial on my CV and can't help but think I could potentially get into IB or similar.

Thoughts?

Could you not ask to defer your Lloyds offer?
Original post by xtrembob

50 max?? The grad scheme starts on 38
Original post by Edminzodo
Could you not ask to defer your Lloyds offer?

Yeah I definitely could, which would be a nice safety net regardless but would make the MSc kind of pointless in a way - I just feel that Imperial + their career services would definitely allow me to springboard higher

Thoughts?

I think if it were me I would go for the MSc at Imperial (especially if your undergrad uni is less prestigious), and especially if you're not 100% certain about this job.
Yeah I definitely could, which would be a nice safety net regardless but would make the MSc kind of pointless in a way - I just feel that Imperial + their career services would definitely allow me to springboard higher
Defer it, apply for an internship while at Imperial and if that doesn't convert then at least you have Lloyds as a backup

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 5 years ago)
@jenbrown1234 @terry tibbs thanks for the advice, I appreciate the opinions
Original post by username1571649
@jenbrown1234 @terry tibbs thanks for the advice, I appreciate the opinions

Hey could you let me know what you’re getting up to now and the decision you chose?
Reply 10
Updates?
Interesting thread as I've heard it's a poor choice to take a pricey £40k+ masters over a somewhat decent grad scheme

I'm in a similar situation with a big 4 audit offer and tempted to go for an expensive masters, but it feels like a waste. Thoughts?
Reply 12
I go to imperial and I went with the intention to get into IB. It didnt work. There's so much competition and tere's a lot of bias in the recruitment processes.Typically people have links and tthat sort of stuff through which they can in. I would drop the idea of doing the masters and stick with the grad role. I dont think Imperial's name or the extra academic knowledge will do anything compared to the experience you would gain on the job. The rest is up to you!
Original post by gradschemebuck
Interesting thread as I've heard it's a poor choice to take a pricey £40k+ masters over a somewhat decent grad scheme

I'm in a similar situation with a big 4 audit offer and tempted to go for an expensive masters, but it feels like a waste. Thoughts?
Reply 13
Original post by j.1.2
I go to imperial and I went with the intention to get into IB. It didnt work. There's so much competition and tere's a lot of bias in the recruitment processes.Typically people have links and tthat sort of stuff through which they can in. I would drop the idea of doing the masters and stick with the grad role. I dont think Imperial's name or the extra academic knowledge will do anything compared to the experience you would gain on the job. The rest is up to you!

100% agree. OP was given such terrible advice. Imperial doesn't guarantee a job in IB. They should've grabbed the opportunity with Lloyds with both hands. Hope it all turned out well for them.
What is the masters in Imperial in? Commercial banking isn't a fantastic career option.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending