The Student Room Group

A Week in the Life: Cambridge edition

Scroll to see replies

It could be lupus
That is all depending if I get my biochemistry and physiology done :p:

Cue hundreds of scared offer-holders scribbling down 'work' for their Friday night plans. :p:
TheUnbeliever
Cue hundreds of scared offer-holders scribbling down 'work' for their Friday night plans. :p:

:yes: :puppyeyes:
It could be lupus
Thanks for the rep. I reckon I should have time tomorrow night. That is all depending if I get my biochemistry and physiology done before I head out to Fez :p:

:security:
Craghyrax
:security:

:lol: sorry I was still in Friday mood when I wrote that so I meant that I had that work to do tonight. I will definitely be out at Fez, though I may be late as I am at a swap and will be having some pre-drinks before arriving. Should be there around 10.30-11ish I think :yep:
It could be lupus
:lol: sorry I was still in Friday mood when I wrote that so I meant that I had that work to do tonight. I will definitely be out at Fez, though I may be late as I am at a swap and will be having some pre-drinks before arriving. Should be there around 10.30-11ish I think :yep:

I see :biggrin:
A week in the life of a medic

Ok so I didn't get all my work done so hear goes:
Links for the timetables of a medic: http://www.bio.cam.ac.uk/sbs/facbiol/mvst/tt1a/1astandard/1astandard.htm
If you want to use this timetable just click on any dates for any week, and stick to any set that you want. Don't change sets and you can get a general overview of what a medics week is like. Heres my average week:

Monday: Wake up at 9ish. Generally am still feeling exhausted and a few other things from being at Fez and formal the night before. Dissection at 10am until 12. Have a biochemistry/MiMs lecture from 12-1. Normally go back to have lunch in college and then either do work in the library or else have a physiology practical from 2-4pm. Do more work and have lunch at hall at 6pm. Run to my biochemistry supervision from 7-8 and then go back to my room to finish my physiology work for my supervision the next day.

Tuesday: Biochemistry lecture at 9am so am up around 8ish. Lecture is over at 10 and then I go to have a supervision on epidemiology and statistics (pretty boring but have to do it. I used to not have this in Michelmas term so I instead went back and watched House :smile: ) After the supervisions I have a physiology lecture at 12 until one. I generally then run to the pitches to play a game of rugby for the college. Game finishes after 4 so I then run/limp back to my room to have a quick shower before my physiology supervision at 5. After supervision I go to hall for dinner at 6. Back in my room for 7 and then do some anatomy. Sometimes I have swaps on Tuesdays so I don't go to hall but go straight back to my room to do work and then meet people on the swap in the bar at 7 then have formal hall at 8pm. Standard Cindies or the bar at 10pm and arrive back in college around 2ish

Wednesday: 9am lecture again. This time its anatomy. Again I normally have a break from 10-12 so I go back to college and often have a nap or do work. Sometimes have Sociology lectures at 12, but most people don't go to those cos you can just blag your way through the exam. Lunch in hall then either histology or applied anatomy from 2-4pm. Come back to college and get stuck into my anatomy preparation for my supervision. Hall at 6pm for dinner and then do more work after. Usually head to the bar around 9ish and then maybe Cindies again if enough people are going. Again arrive back to college after 2

Thursday: 9am lecture on MiMs. I then have a 2 hour gap between 10-12 in which I catch up on sleep or do work for anatomy. Physiology lecture at 12-1pm and then I have lunch. Thursday evenings are sometimes free but the rest of the time I have a biochemistry practical, or a GP visit or biochemistry PBL class. All of these are once a term. I then have dinner in hall and learn my anatomy until my anatomy supervision at 8.30pm-9.30pm. I then leave my books back and go to the bar to relax as my supervisions are done for the week.

Friday: Anatomy lecture at 9am. I then always have a 2hour gap from 10-12 which is spent sleeping or watching TV. Physiology lecture at 12-1pm and then lunch in hall. Last thing of the week is dissection from 2-4pm and then I go back to my room and collapse on the bed. I then go to hall at 6pm or cook myself something. I then usually get started into work for next week. Usually this is 1-3 essays plus the preperation work for each essay. I usually sit up to 12ish doing this or else stop at 9/10pm and go and meet people and see what they are doing.

Saturday: I always lie on at the weekends. So I get up at 12 and then go to hall at 12.15. I then come back and grab my rugby gear and run out to training from 2-4pm. I then come back and do more work until hall at 6pm. After hall I will do more work until around 10ish and then I will go round to my friends room to mess about/have a few drinks until 1-2ish

Sunday: Again have a lie in to 12. Same routine really with hall and rugby training. Then come back and do work and either go to hall or continue on working until I am going to formal. After formal I either go to the comedy show or else have pre-drinks then head out to Fez. I then get home at about 2-3ish.
It could be lupus

Thanks very much :smile:
It could be lupus
A week in the life of a medic...

WOW. That sounds exhausting!
Phranchesskah
WOW. That sounds exhausting!

Haha you are telling me. Last term I did some rowing on top of all that as well :p:
It could be lupus
Haha you are telling me. Last term I did some rowing on top of all that as well :p:

Wow. Are all medics lunatics or is it just you? :p:

On another note, can someone please do a week in the life for an English student? Scouring the thread there seems to only be a really brief third year one. Though I presume there's not a lot more to it than reading loads of books and talking/writing about them... still! And what's the workload like?
Phranchesskah
Wow. Are all medics lunatics or is it just you? :p:

On another note, can someone please do a week in the life for an English student? Scouring the thread there seems to only be a really brief third year one. Though I presume there's not a lot more to it than reading loads of books and talking/writing about them... still! And what's the workload like?

The majority of us put in the same amount of work though the rest dont seem to go out as much or play rugby. I like to make the most out of uni :p:

As for English students; talking to a girl I know she does a lot of reading and thinking. The subject is more about your own interpretations than going to lectures. The lectures are apparently just one view on a book/poem etc etc. However I don't know if there are any english students on this to write one up
It could be lupus
The majority of us put in the same amount of work though the rest dont seem to go out as much or play rugby. I like to make the most out of uni :p:

As for English students; talking to a girl I know she does a lot of reading and thinking. The subject is more about your own interpretations than going to lectures. The lectures are apparently just one view on a book/poem etc etc. However I don't know if there are any english students on this to write one up

I like that attitude. Work hard play hard. :yep: Not work hard sleep hard, nor laze around all day hard play hard. :nah:

Yeah, there don't seem to be many around here, which is a bugger. I just thought I'd ask anyway on the off chance that there was one lurking about. But thanks! Reading and thinking is definitely my bag. Ark I'm so impatient for Uniiiewhegahfjealgh.
Phranchesskah
I like that attitude. Work hard play hard. :yep: Not work hard sleep hard, nor laze around all day hard play hard. :nah:

Yeah, there don't seem to be many around here, which is a bugger. I just thought I'd ask anyway on the off chance that there was one lurking about. But thanks! Reading and thinking is definitely my bag. Ark I'm so impatient for Uniiiewhegahfjealgh.

Lidka
English student :work:
If you have time?
Reply 153
Craghyrax
If you have time?

Not got time at the moment... Kind of indicative of 3rd year life. :p: Will make an effort to write one up in the next few days.
Lidka
Not got time at the moment... Kind of indicative of 3rd year life. :p: Will make an effort to write one up in the next few days.

There's no obligation!
Lidka

Don't put yourself out! It's completely fine if you have no time, it's not like I need to see one. But thanks.

Craghyrax
If you have time?

And thank you as well for finding me an English student. :smile:
Reply 156
Could anyone do this for economics? I hear that the economics course is quite intense.
bob679
Could anyone do this for economics? I hear that the economics course is quite intense.

Tyrotoxism
If you have time

Theres an economist, so he might have time
bob679

monday

9.30 - get up
10 - 1 - lectures
1 -2 - get lunch with people
2 -4 - gym
4 - 6 - look over lecture notes and get some work done
6 - 7 - dinner
7 - whenever - work/facebook

tuesday

same as monday but might go to formal and i don't go to the gym. have a supervision at 3pm every other week.

wednesday

one lecture from 11-12. might row for half an hour or so afterwards (before lunch). rest of day spent working. might go cindies in the evening. supervision from 6-7pm every other week

thursday

same as monday (including the gym). got a supervision from 2-3 every week though.

friday

supervision from 3-5 every week. one lecture from 10-11am. rest of day spent working. usually don't go out.

saturday/sunday

work. will go to the gym on saturday. no supervisions. my weekend going-out habits are very variable.
TheUnbeliever
More on-topic yet, here's an idea of my timetabled time. In addition to this, I have 2 or 3 rowing outings and 1 or 2 erg sessions a week. In terms of when I actually do the work, it tends to be some of Saturday, all of Sunday and some of Monday. First year compsci.

Spoiler

To add my actual workload to this:

Weekly
Software design - 3 or 4 Tripos questions; takes less than 2 hours
Maths - usually a handful of examples questions, 2 or 3 Tripos questions; very variable depending on how prepared I am - anything from a couple hours to a handful
Physics - 6 examples questions, occasionally a Tripos question; typically takes about 4 hours for me to complete a third or less - I'm not expecting anything more than a 2.2 here, though
Discrete maths - about 6-8 examples questions; takes 2 or 3 hours, really quite fun

Other
Algorithms - this isn't actually an examinable course, it's just a student-run thing (that I really recommend if they run it again next year); 1 examples sheet (~8 questions) every couple weeks, and a few online exercises - no idea how long this takes me, since I work on it sporadically
Ticks - ML took about 10-20 minutes every fortnight, Java takes about an hour weekly (50-100% if I do the star); hardware takes me about an hour more than the alloted time and is easily the single most frustrating part of my week outside of physics
Physics prep - tiny little exercises to encourage you to actually do the reading; worth 2 marks each fortnight (which, in practice, works out to a miniscule fraction of your degree); takes like 10 minutes, though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending