The Student Room Group

Given offer, Made offer, Rejected.

Hi

2 years ago I was given an LSE offer. I did not meet it at first due to ***** marking on behalf of edexcel, but after a priority remark, i managed to make it. During the wait for my new results, I asked the LSE on the phone whether they would take me if I made my grades. They said yes, probably thinking that I won't anyway because my grades were pretty far off. Turned out that I did make my offer, but the priority remark came back later than that stupid August 31 deadline and so I was still rejected. It's pretty annoying, because now some people think that I either never got an offer or didn't make it.... I feel that this is really unfair because I do not deserve to be an "LSE reject", and was wondering if there is anything I can do i.e. if I contacted LSE would they give me some kind of letter explaining that I should actually have gotten in?:frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
skcusgnihtyreve
Hi

2 years ago I was given an LSE offer. I did not meet it at first due to ***** marking on behalf of edexcel, but after a priority remark, i managed to make it. During the wait for my new results, I asked the LSE on the phone whether they would take me if I made my grades. They said yes, probably thinking that I won't anyway because my grades were pretty far off. Turned out that I did make my offer, but the priority remark came back later than that stupid August 31 deadline and so I was still rejected. It's pretty annoying, because now some people think that I either never got an offer or didn't make it.... I feel that this is really unfair because I do not deserve to be an "LSE reject", and was wondering if there is anything I can do i.e. if I contacted LSE would they give me some kind of letter explaining that I should actually have gotten in?:frown:

If all this happened two years ago, why are you asking about it now?:confused:
Reply 2
apart from perceived "prestige" about being accepted into LSE, why do you want the letter? it makes no difference, now that you have your A-level grades and are (probably) studying for a degree? not trying to be mean, but i doubt many people care whether you did/didn't apply for, get an offer from, reject the offer, miss the offer, or get the grades for, a course at LSE!
The phone call wasn't exactly a legally binding contract was it? And you did miss the Aug31 deadline, so you've not been short-changed have you? What were they going to do? Kick a current student out so that you can get your rightful place? You're just angry because of pride and inconvenience. Yeah, you got unlucky. Oh well, get in next year.
skcusgnihtyreve
Hi
It's pretty annoying, because now some people think that I either never got an offer or didn't make it.... I feel that this is really unfair because I do not deserve to be an "LSE reject"(

It seems to me that this is all about reputation...
Reply 5
skcusgnihtyreve
It's pretty annoying, because now some people think that I either never got an offer or didn't make it.... I feel that this is really unfair because I do not deserve to be an "LSE reject", and was wondering if there is anything I can do i.e. if I contacted LSE would they give me some kind of letter explaining that I should actually have gotten in?:frown:

Uh, you could just ... not tell people?
no, because this is actually affecting me now, in that now i am trying to apply for a job, and it appears that this other person at UCL is now being favoured over me only because the employer thinks that london uni > warwick. i know warwick is a reasonably good university but I am an international student, and where I am from, nobody knows warwick. what really got to me was that when I was chatting with the admin of the office and he asked "why didn't you choose a london university?" I told him that I did, but just that edexcel screwed my grades up and failed to give my marks back before the deadline. He just didn't seem to believe me, and gave me this attitude that said he thinks I probably just didn't get in. this is why i'm only asking now that 2 years have passed, because i didn't think this small deal would affect me in any way. What's wrong with wanting reputation, when it is what I need in this situation?
why dont you tell him warwick is just as good as UCL and show him your subject/overall uni league table. Not that that means anything.
Reply 8
Well surely you must have their original offer letter and I'd assume your A-level certificates now reflect your corrected grades (which meets their offer).. 2+2?
fais
Well surely you must have their original offer letter and I'd assume your A-level certificates now reflect your corrected grades (which meets their offer).. 2+2?

that's actually a good one... but.... too bad i've lost those documents!
eventhorizon
The phone call wasn't exactly a legally binding contract was it? And you did miss the Aug31 deadline, so you've not been short-changed have you? What were they going to do? Kick a current student out so that you can get your rightful place? You're just angry because of pride and inconvenience. Yeah, you got unlucky. Oh well, get in next year.

That's pretty easy to say when it hasn't happened to you. If you ended up being rejected by your firm university through no fault of your own, I doubt you'd be so blase about it.
supernova2
why dont you tell him warwick is just as good as UCL and show him your subject/overall uni league table. Not that that means anything.

i did. anyhow, in my country people don't give a damn. if the reputation is not as good here it is not as good........ ! i love warwick, it's sad!
LJoll
That's pretty easy to say when it hasn't happened to you. If you ended up being rejected by your firm university through no fault of your own, I doubt you'd be so blase about it.

thanks........ finally somebody who has the ability to show a bit of sympathy...not saying that i'm here to look for it as 1.i've gotten over the undeserved rejection and 2. i'm just trying to look for some practical help. but the first few responses i got from this thread were really quite disheartening...
Reply 13
If its a job which you are getting rejected solely for not going to a London Uni (might I add Warwick is fantastic), screw the job.
Reply 14
skcusgnihtyreve
that's actually a good one... but.... too bad i've lost those documents!

You mean, all correspondence from the LSE AND all the letters from UCAS? You didn't make any copies at any point either (especially since you're an international and need to send back originals and/or need copies for other things)?

My mum's kept my primary school certificates as well as the envelopes of all my university (and even 11+ :eek:) offers! :p:
Reply 15
eventhorizon

You didn't even read it did you, get in next year? Are you stupid?
Whilst I can understand the frustration you must have had, the way your first post comes across very much makes it seem like all youre worried about is the fact that others will think you are an LSE reject. This employer sounds like a baffoon to be honest.

I dont quite know what you are looking for, do you really want an appologetic letter from them saying that you should be there now studying at LSE and how unfair it all was? What would you do with it, and what would it achieve? Are you going to take it to job interviews for the rest of your life so you can say that you should have gone there but were cheated out of it?

Ultimatly it boils down to the fact that 2 years ago you were given an offer, but the deadline for that offer passed, & you were rejected by default. Its not like they took one look at your application and put a big red cross through it. **** happens, its something you really need to get over and move on from. You always had the oppertunity to reapply again the following year if you had wanted it that much.
Reply 17
That is one of my worries for the summer, with some of the terrible marking that happens. I sympathize with you OP but it was two years ago!
louisedotcom

**** happens, its something you really need to get over and move on from. You always had the oppertunity to reapply again the following year if you had wanted it that much.

I never said that I WANTED it that much. I personally don't care about the reputation because I know I am at a good uni myself right now. I just didn't know it would affect me NOW.

And I want this job very bad. I've just made myself seem like a liar infront of the person in charge at the office which is WHY I want this proof that I did not.
Reply 19
Alot of people, seem to not understand what he said.

This is the situation;

He is being screwed over for a specific job (and fears maybe other potential jobs) for not being in a London uni (as weird as it is).

He wanted that proof that he had made the offer - not to show off to people that he got into LSE (but got screwed by the system) - but to somehow help him on this job offer - by letting them know he made it to LSE, although he is studying at Warwick and does not wish to be scrutinised for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending