The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

No your combination is fine.
Reply 1981
srana
Oh for God's sake, that's a footnote for Chemistry. No one ever seems to get that.

Oh yes, I see the number 1 by the chemistry requirements now, thank you.
Reply 1982
why did this get moved? this is about grades?
Reply 1983
R___B
why did this get moved? this is about grades?

It seems anything related to GCSEs or A-levels and their part in the Oxbridge application process gets dumped in here.
Reply 1984
BJack
It seems anything related to GCSEs or A-levels and their part in the Oxbridge application process gets dumped in here.

Too right, stops the forum getting too cluttered.
I go to an international school (had a travelling background) and don't have GCSE's. I realllyyy don't know if that's good or bad, I suppose it's good because if I woulda mucked them up (which some I would have lol) then that's fine, but uni's haven't really got anything else to go on, I've done two external exams (took an AP and an IB a year early) but I realllyyy dunno. It's not really worth thinking about anymore because the damage is done but anyone else in the same boat?
Reply 1986
gingerbread_traveller
I go to an international school (had a travelling background) and don't have GCSE's. I realllyyy don't know if that's good or bad, I suppose it's good because if I woulda mucked them up (which some I would have lol) then that's fine, but uni's haven't really got anything else to go on, I've done two external exams (took an AP and an IB a year early) but I realllyyy dunno. It's not really worth thinking about anymore because the damage is done but anyone else in the same boat?

Neither, surely?:confused:
Besides, universities will have other things to go on, obviously; it's not like GCSE grades are the only information they take into account.
I got 7Us, 2 Bs and 3Cs at GCSE...do I have a chance..?
Promesse
I got 7Us, 2 Bs and 3Cs at GCSE...do I have a chance..?

Well, why the 7 Us?
jismith1989
Well, why the 7 Us?

Bullying..?
didn't sit exams
Promesse
Bullying..?

Is that a question? We can't answer. :p: Make sure it gets a mention though if you do apply. Your grades' effects will depend on the competitiveness of the course, specific tutors etc. You won't have to declare the Us. Just make sure you get into a position where you're predicted 3/4/5 As for your A levels this year. Having taken the HAT yesterday I can see why GCSEs barely matter anymore.
Reply 1991
Promesse
Bullying..?
didn't sit exams

Don't you get an X if you fail to sit the exams?

Anyway, I wouldn't rate your chances with those grades, even if you were bullied during your GCSE years, those grades are poor. Personally I think it shows little commitment to your work or exams. How serious was this bullying and how did it actually stop you from sitting the exams?
Fiasco
Don't you get an X if you fail to sit the exams?

Anyway, I wouldn't rate your chances with those grades, even if you were bullied during your GCSE years, those grades are poor. Personally I think it shows little commitment to your work or exams. How serious was this bullying and how did it actually stop you from sitting the exams?

This isn't about me, it's a query for a friend who is sulking saying she has no future. I'd have to ask her, she doesn't like talking about it much.
Reply 1993
Promesse
This isn't about me, it's a query for a friend who is sulking saying she has no future. I'd have to ask her, she doesn't like talking about it much.

Oh, sorry :smile:

Well I would suggest she concentrate now on her A-levels and put the past behind her. I don't think anyone here can pretend that those grades won't put her at a disadvantage. She would definitely need straight A's at AS with very high module scores (that would be sent to Cambridge or mentioned on her reference).

Like I said though, I wouldn't rate her chances.
Even if there was extenuating circumstances, they'd probably expect something higher than U's.
Reply 1995
Does anyone at Cambridge know someone who was American and got accepted to study as an undergrad?

Anyway, I'm applying for Natsci this year and I'm wondering whether getting a 4 (out of 5) on my AP chem exam will affect my chances. I already have a 5 in bio and am taking physics and calculus this year. I also have 2 other 5's and 1 other 4 and will be taking 5 other exams this year in addition to physics/calc.
Reply 1996
mleoni1
Does anyone at Cambridge know someone who was American and got accepted to study as an undergrad?

Yeh I have a friend from Chicago who got in as an undergrad for English. You won't be at a disadvantage or anything. No idea about your AP scores, but it will probably say what you're expected to get on the university website.
mleoni1

The Overseas Rep from Trinity is American (I was browsing the student union websites when choosing a college). No idea about APs but 5554 is really good (and I think it's what's required, actually) though they'd probably make a conditional on Physics/Calc for phys Natsci.
I got 4 A*s for ICT DiDa
5 B's for english lit and lang media studies core science and humanities
1 C for maths
2 D's for additional science and citizenship :frown: had extenuating circumstances

im doin economics english lit maths and history

planning to study law at uni

R MY GCSES GOOD ENOUGH????
LegendKiller377
I got 4 A*s for ICT DiDa
5 B's for english lit and lang media studies core science and humanities
1 C for maths
2 D's for additional science and citizenship :frown: had extenuating circumstances

im doin economics english lit maths and history

planning to study law at uni

R MY GCSES GOOD ENOUGH????

What were these 'extenuating circumstances'?
And what are you predicted at A2?

Latest

Trending

Trending