The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

greenwaytph
he probably stands a better chance of getting in than you tbh!

Obviously, hence the :rolleyes:. Consider your last post.
necessarily benevolent
...achieved over 75% in one of their standardised very difficult admissions tests...

Just out of interest would anything over 75% be considered very good? I.e. what is the average score in tests such as the TSA?
Reply 1182
greenwaytph
wtf is wrong with your A levels, they are fine. Jeez, all these people asking are they smart enough to go to oxbridge when they cant even realise they have decent grades. MEHHHH!:mad:

Sorry :frown: I'm just anxious about them because apparently you need high A's to get into Cambridge since they see your UMS (around the 90% mark, I've heard), and lots of people have 100% and better grades than me on here; so I was wondering whether Oxford would be better since they don't see the UMS. Considering I got a B (and haven't completed the 3rd module of languages and stuff), I was just nervous and asking for some thoughts.
To Waughy, yes, Oxford would be safer, but you'd definitely get an interview at Cam. It's only if you don't have below 90% in a certain number of modules AND a poor set of GCSEs that would see you not get an interview, but even this wouldn't completely rule you out.

To Krazysheep, yes 75% would be considered excellent. Apparently c. 53% in required to get a History interview. I've looked over some of the papers and they seem quite challenging, so 75% would be very impressive.
necessarily benevolent
To Waughy, yes, Oxford would be safer, but you'd definitely get an interview at Cam. It's only if you don't have below 90% in a certain number of modules AND a poor set of GCSEs that would see you not get an interview, but even this wouldn't completely rule you out.

To Krazysheep, yes 75% would be considered excellent. Apparently c. 53% in required to get a History interview. I've looked over some of the papers and they seem quite challenging, so 75% would be very impressive.

what would you say is a poor set of GCSEs
greenwaytph
what would you say is a poor set of GCSEs

Mine, which is why I'm applying to Ox for a course that cares little about them (that's all you need to know :wink:).
Reply 1186
necessarily benevolent

Would I be disadvantaged at the interview or in the whole process altogether, do you think? Honestly, are my chances still good for Cambridge?
Waughy8
Would I be disadvantaged at the interview or in the whole process altogether, do you think? Honestly, are my chances still good for Cambridge?

I wouldn't read much into it. People apply with a whole range or grades and once you're at interview it's usually a level playing field. I get the feeling that Oxford place more emphasis on the interview than Cam do, i.e. more time spent interviewing candidates, but this depends on the course as well. Grades are nowhere near as important as the admissions process itself and 90% is not a stuck-on figure, it's just so tutors know what kind of student you are, and so can see whether you can overturn this at interview, test scores etc. The whole cake is looked at not just a slice.
necessarily benevolent
Mine, which is why I'm applying to Ox for a course that cares little about them (that's all you need to know :wink:).

by your profile I am guessing one of the history choices.
greenwaytph
by your profile I am guessing one of the history choices.

Yes, straight History, they interview everyone in the top 80% of HAT scores (usually above 52 or 53 per cent) and predicted AAA, regardless of your record.
Reply 1190
necessarily benevolent
I wouldn't read much into it. People apply with a whole range or grades and once you're at interview it's usually a level playing field. I get the feeling that Oxford place more emphasis on the interview than Cam do, i.e. more time spent interviewing candidates, but this depends on the course as well. Grades are nowhere near as important as the admissions process itself and 90% is not a stuck-on figure, it's just so tutors know what kind of student you are, and so can see whether you can overturn this at interview, test scores etc. The whole cake is looked at not just a slice.

That's very reassuring. Thanks :smile: I'm really enthusiastic about the subject.
By the way, someone I know applied to Cam for Law last year with AABB and no 90%+ and still got an interview. He didn't get in but Law is a very competitive subject and he felt the interview went well (which generally means it didn't).
necessarily benevolent
I'm afraid you have no chance whatsoever. Maths, Chemistry and French are regarded as 'soft' subjects and those Bs in History and F. Maths will just finish you off I'm afraid. Also, only getting an A in English Lang GCSE will seal your rejection. Have you considered applying to TVU?

:rolleyes:

hahah lol
cheeers (:
Id never be a MP
Don't want to go all bald like them :PPPPP (bad excuse)
(oh by the way I'm a girl)
Reply 1193
how about 3A*s and 8 As at GCSE??!

xx
omg omg i just got my gcses and i think my oxford dream is over. I got

A*AAAAABBBBCC <--- :frown:

can u even get into oxford with tht bearing in mind i wanna do medicine
chuck111

your 1 is still alive mine is dead got 1 A and 6 B and 1 C lol isit dead anyone?
i wanted to do maths or economics
chuck111

I'm applying this year with AAAABBbC (from Y. 11), but that's not for Medicine. I think I remember from somewhere that with 1 A* you need to be in the top 5% of candidates in the BMAT to get an interview, so it's still possible if you excel in that.

To Sahil, for Maths probably, for Econ & Man. I wouldn't think so. But other factors do come into account so just apply and hope.
necessarily benevolent
I'm applying this year with A
To Sahil, for Maths probably, for Econ & Man. I wouldn't think so. But other factors do come into account so just apply and hope.

but say i work hard i mean and like get the AAA at A level would i get an interview?
sahil112
but say i work hard i mean and like get the AAA at A level would i get an interview?

Well they base it on AAA predictions. It all depends on the admissions test really. I can't comment really as I haven't looked that much into Maths or Econ. You could email them to find out the selection procedure and whether your GCSEs would cause a problem (that's what I did and it helped alot).

Latest

Trending

Trending