The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1380
Andy the Anarchist
Is this a piss take? Of course it's bloody good enough
Especially given that you're applying for a course with relatively few applicants to places, you have well over 90% in several subjects, and you did 5 A levels.

yeah i think it should be fine..but after i asked some of my schoolmates,they all got above 290 out of 300 for physics.. so i doubt mine is not good at all
xiyin
yeah i think it should be fine..but after i asked some of my schoolmates,they all got above 290 out of 300 for physics.. so i doubt mine is not good at all

Your grades are fine, trust me

But it's not just the grades, there's the interview too.

But you'll definately get an invite for interview with grades like that, and probably a greater degree of freedom to slip up on the day than most.

Good luck
Reply 1382
Andy the Anarchist
Your grades are fine, trust me

But it's not just the grades, there's the interview too.

But you'll definately get an invite for interview with grades like that, and probably a greater degree of freedom to slip up on the day than most.

Good luck

Thanks~~I hope so.. hahahaha~
K!&R@N
Em...you're like the ideal Oxbridge candidate!! :biggrin:

Good Luck!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Thanks, but just the ums getting to me , if i'm up against others with 280+ across board it isnt..... ideal..Just wondering how much it would disadvantage me in terms of getting an interview / pressure to perform at the interview.
Reply 1384
Right, it has only occured to me in the past two weeks after getting my AS results that i have a slight chance of getting to oxbridge. I want to do Physics/Natural Sciences. TBH i am the bottom of the scale.

GCSE's: 3A*'s (Double Science and Maths), 6A's, 2 B's.
AS: Maths A 268/300
Chemistry A 260/300
Physics A 272/300 (280/300 with 1st module resit)

And dreaded French C (189/300)

I have dropped French and am wondering whether it will affect me.
For me to get high mark A's in Math, Chem and Phys I am going to have extra hard but am willing. But i am thinking of taking Furthur Maths to AS to aid my application. Would it be worth it? Taking an extra AS next year might affect my performance in my other subjects however my French mark for an oxbridge is terrible.

For EC's, i took part in an world challenge expedition to Borneo for a month and i went on a Sutton Trust summer school at bristol. I have got some work experience lined up at a local communications research company and i play alot of rugby.

Thanks
Reply 1385
I was just wondering whether I would be a suitable candidate for Cambridge to read Modern Foreign Languages (French and another language- originally German... not so sure anymore.)

At GCSE I got 6A*s and 3As. However at AS I got:
French- 286/300 (A) - stupid oral!
German- 238/300 (B) - RUBBISH! (Resitting- will I be excluded immediately for resitting?)
Physics- 265/300 (A)
History- 255/300 (A)

My UMS' aren't amazing. I'm really worried- I really really want to go to Cambridge. I've done lots of extra curricular activities and reading.
Are they ok?
Moonfacius
Thanks, but just the ums getting to me , if i'm up against others with 280+ across board it isnt..... ideal..Just wondering how much it would disadvantage me in terms of getting an interview / pressure to perform at the interview.

I really can't understand why people are getting so hung up on UMS marks all of a sudden. Somebody who has 260 across the board will be at NO disadvantage compared to someone who has 280 across the board. As long as you've got an A and its above 250 you'll be fine. The admission tutors aren't stupid and they know that performance will vary due to teaching methods, exam technique and sheer luck on the day.

Your grades are absolutely fine - you'll definitely get an interview and then the rest is up to you! Good Luck :smile:
jack-b
Right, it has only occured to me in the past two weeks after getting my AS results that i have a slight chance of getting to oxbridge. I want to do Physics/Natural Sciences. TBH i am the bottom of the scale.

GCSE's: 3A*'s (Double Science and Maths), 6A's, 2 B's.
AS: Maths A 268/300
Chemistry A 260/300
Physics A 272/300 (280/300 with 1st module resit)

And dreaded French C (189/300)

I have dropped French and am wondering whether it will affect me.
For me to get high mark A's in Math, Chem and Phys I am going to have extra hard but am willing. But i am thinking of taking Furthur Maths to AS to aid my application. Would it be worth it? Taking an extra AS next year might affect my performance in my other subjects however my French mark for an oxbridge is terrible.

For EC's, i took part in an world challenge expedition to Borneo for a month and i went on a Sutton Trust summer school at bristol. I have got some work experience lined up at a local communications research company and i play alot of rugby.

Thanks

That's a tough call. Without that C in French I'd have said you had a good shot. I won't lie though, the C will disadvantage you slightly. That said, you'll definitely get an interview if you apply, so you've nothing to lose except a place on your UCAS form. If you put in a good interview there's no reason why you won't be made an offer. I'd say go for it.

In terms of AS Further Maths, yes it will help your application. But be aware that they may then (if they offer you a place) stipulate they want an A in AS Further Maths - so if you decide to do it make sure you can get an A.
emmaegl
I was just wondering whether I would be a suitable candidate for Cambridge to read Modern Foreign Languages (French and another language- originally German... not so sure anymore.)

At GCSE I got 6A*s and 3As. However at AS I got:
French- 286/300 (A) - stupid oral!
German- 238/300 (B) - RUBBISH! (Resitting- will I be excluded immediately for resitting?)
Physics- 265/300 (A)
History- 255/300 (A)

My UMS' aren't amazing. I'm really worried- I really really want to go to Cambridge. I've done lots of extra curricular activities and reading.
Are they ok?

They look okay - you'll definitely get an interview so go for it. You'll probably get asked at interview why you failed to get an A in German when you want to study MFL, so have a good answer ready!
Reply 1389
Hrrm, mine didn't come out so well:

Physics: A (95% average)
Maths & Statistics (A2 done a year early for Further Maths this year): A (87% average)

Now I know those two are very good (especially for my Physics applications elsewhere :p: ), however:

Chemistry: B (but this was from two good A module papers and then one awful one, C on module 2)

Philosophy: B (two decent A modules and then one B which brought it down)

Do I have a chance really? Predictions of straight As shouldn't be a problem and my Chem and Philosophy were only bad on one module each :frown:.
Misstee
hi i was wondering if my results would be good enough for cambridge/oxford for medicine.

GCSE: 6A*s 4As
AS: AAAB

If i had those grades i would apply to oxford and cambridge!
Reply 1391
I'm thinking of applying for Natural Sciences (biological) at Cambridge, but I have a few doubts.

I got 11 A*s, and took 3 sciences, maths and general studies, which I got 5 A's in.

However, I'm a little worried about my ums marks. I've heard you need 90% in relevant subjects.

My ums marks were 99% in biology, 83% in chemistry and physics, and 93% in maths. Do I have a good chance? Would I be a strong, middle, or weak candidate?
Reply 1392
Qos
I'm thinking of applying for Natural Sciences (biological) at Cambridge, but I have a few doubts.

I got 11 A*s, and took 3 sciences, maths and general studies, which I got 5 A's in.

However, I'm a little worried about my ums marks. I've heard you need 90% in relevant subjects.

My ums marks were 99% in biology, 83% in chemistry and physics, and 93% in maths. Do I have a good chance? Would I be a strong, middle, or weak candidate?

Oh weak, very weak, you'd be lucky to get to interview :p: .
You'd be a strong candidate of course do you seriously think you'd be anything else? :biggrin: 90% in three relevant subjects and 7 ( Thanks Flozza_X) A*s at GCSE gets you automatically put in the pool if you aren't given an offer straight out, which shows how most of their applicants don't have that or it would be pointless to have at all :yep:

Edit: Correction on number of A*s needed
Does anyone else think that this thread exists to depress other applicants?

Seriously, if you have a bunch of A*s at GCSE, and at least 3A's at AS, preferably four, and are predicted AAA at A level, then for God's sake apply, it's only one more space on the form,and it gives you an incentive to improve your personal statement, which will improve your chances at other universities.
Reply 1394
Qos

I'd say strong. Well done on your results, spesh on your biology...that's amazing!! I got 90 :frown:

Mithra
Oh weak, very weak, you'd be lucky to get to interview :p: .
You'd be a strong candidate of course do you seriously think you'd be anything else? :biggrin: 90% in three relevant subjects and 6 A*s at GCSE gets you automatically put in the pool if you aren't given an offer straight out, which shows how most of their applicants don't have that or it would be pointless to have at all :yep:

It's actually 7 A*s...
Cambridge website: "All applicants in this round (except those for Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference Colleges but have attained both 7A*s or more at GCSE and 90% or more in each of their three best/most relevant (i.e. where the subject at a particular College has subject preferences at A/AS level) AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category."
Reply 1395
Andy the Anarchist
Does anyone else think that this thread exists to depress other applicants?

Seriously, if you have a bunch of A*s at GCSE, and at least 3A's at AS, preferably four, and are predicted AAA at A level, then for God's sake apply, it's only one more space on the form,and it gives you an incentive to improve your personal statement, which will improve your chances at other universities.

Don't worry Andy, I think it depresses most Cambridge applicants even more :p: . At least it does me but hey ho my grades are ****e :yep:
Reply 1396
Flozza_X
I'd say strong. Well done on your results, spesh on your biology...that's amazing!! I got 90 :frown:

It's actually 7 A*s...
Cambridge website: "All applicants in this round (except those for Medicine) who are not offered places by their preference Colleges but have attained both 7A*s or more at GCSE and 90% or more in each of their three best/most relevant (i.e. where the subject at a particular College has subject preferences at A/AS level) AS Level subjects MUST be pooled in category P if not in another category."

So is there a chance of getting pooled even if you don't have 7A*s and 90%+ in 3 A-levels?
Qos
So is there a chance of getting pooled even if you don't have 7A*s and 90%+ in 3 A-levels?

A friend of mine got significantly less than those (3A* and ABBC at AS) and got pooled, didn't get in though.

Just goes to show you that grades aren't everything, a really impressive interview candidate can count for just as much.
Reply 1398
I think most people who get pooled get way less than that...
Qos

Yes. Those are just the results that will guarantee you a place in the pooling system. I know three people who were pooled with less than that last year. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending