The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OP, if you're planning to apply this October then perhaps the greater concern is that you've got about 2/3 weeks left and you haven't yet arrived at what subject you're doing.

It might be an idea to consider a post-A level application (this can be especially good for engineers, though admittedly less so for mathematicians); then you'll have more time to come to a decision about the course, and will be able to re-take some of those embarrasing AS modules.
Sorry to say I'm another one to bore you. I'm a new member, hello to y'all.

This is a bit of a multiple question one so bare with me.

Firstly, I'm in year 11 but I'm taking my A-Levels this year. Long story short, year 7 we did year 8 work, so year 8s = SATs year 10 = GCSEs.

I was predicted A* across the board in my 9 (yes I wish we could have done more) GCSEs yet got 2 A* 7 A. I was told I was idiotic for being disappointed but my arrogance had got the better of me.

So question number one, how much do Oxbridge care for GCSEs? As everyone who applies has the 3/4/5 As will that have let me down? Will I be able to pull the excuse that I took them a year early?

Secondly of all, I chose maths but its my weakest subject. Is it true that Cambridge look at module marks and Oxford don't, so that if I had to do a retake to get an A in a module next year would Cambridge care for that?

Almost done :P

If say I did not get the 4 A*s (because that will be what itll be on by the time I take them) I wanted, say I got 1 A*, 2 A, 1 B, would I still be considered because I took it a year early? Because I'll be applying at the start of year 13 having already taken my a-levels would I say that I didn't get my A* in history and I decided to read history and be allowed to retake it?

One more, cos I'm on a roll people! I emailed Cambridge and they didn't seem too fussed that I hadn't taken Politics despite my want to probably read SPS at Cambridge or PPE at Oxford, will this still not hinder me? I chose not do politics because it was too simplistic at A-Level and a bit pointless.

To show I'm not doing say Media Studies, Travel + Tourism etc. etc., I'm doing English Lit, Maths, History, RS (which is actually more philosophy).

Oh and also, swap Oxbridge with LSE since that will be my second choice.

Sorry for bugging you all hopefully you can help!
ask this in a year or two

edit- lse are more gcse crazy than oxbridge from wat ive heard.
T-o dore
ask this in a year or two

After not doing enough for my GCSEs I am taking this VERY seriously.
Reply 1584
It would be tough getting into LSE, because they value GCSEs highly.
jonbooth2929

Work hard for your ASs, don't waste time posting potential results on here. When you have your AS results, then you can worry all you want. :p:
jonbooth2929

why - you cant do anything about them now, and you dont have to do your application for a while. Just get high AS grades. PPE is EXTREMELY difficult to get in to (so is SPS at cam) - a girl in my school with 11A* and 6A at AS who would have been amazing at interview and had awesome ECs was rejected. Maybe look other places as well - your gcses are below the average oxbridge applicant so dont get your hopes up. Youre only like 15!
You shouldn't have done them early, but according to what i've read on the Oxbridge forum, they won't mind if your GCSEs don't have a million A*s, as long as you do well at A2.
jonbooth2929
Sorry to say I'm another one to bore you. I'm a new member, hello to y'all.

Hello Jon. :smile:

jonbooth2929
Firstly, I'm in year 11 but I'm taking my A-Levels this year. Long story short, year 7 we did year 8 work, so year 8s = SATs year 10 = GCSEs.

I never understand why schools do this, but OK.

jonbooth2929
I was predicted A* across the board in my 9 (yes I wish we could have done more) GCSEs yet got 2 A* 7 A. I was told I was idiotic for being disappointed but my arrogance had got the better of me.

You were not idiotic for being disappointed, I would be as well in your situation.

jonbooth2929
So question number one, how much do Oxbridge care for GCSEs? As everyone who applies has the 3/4/5 As will that have let me down? Will I be able to pull the excuse that I took them a year early?

I can't say for Oxford, but Cambridge definitely do take them into account. However, it is only a small part of the information they will have on you (which includes A-level grades and subjects, interview and associated tests, personal statement).

jonbooth2929
Secondly of all, I chose maths but its my weakest subject. Is it true that Cambridge look at module marks and Oxford don't, so that if I had to do a retake to get an A in a module next year would Cambridge care for that?

Cambridge ask for module marks, including any modules that you plan to retake.

jonbooth2929
If say I did not get the 4 A*s (because that will be what itll be on by the time I take them) I wanted, say I got 1 A*, 2 A, 1 B, would I still be considered because I took it a year early? Because I'll be applying at the start of year 13 having already taken my a-levels would I say that I didn't get my A* in history and I decided to read history and be allowed to retake it?

They won't be asking for A*s, so A*AA will get you an interview as it surpasses the AAA requirement.

jonbooth2929
One more, cos I'm on a roll people! I emailed Cambridge and they didn't seem too fussed that I hadn't taken Politics despite my want to probably read SPS at Cambridge or PPE at Oxford, will this still not hinder me? I chose not do politics because it was too simplistic at A-Level and a bit pointless.

Not the greatest reason for not doing it, but as long as your other subjects are suitable it shouldn't be a big issue.

jonbooth2929
To show I'm not doing say Media Studies, Travel + Tourism etc. etc., I'm doing English Lit, Maths, History, RS (which is actually more philosophy).

If you wanted to do PPS/PPE, surely you should have done Politics instead of RS?

jonbooth2929
Oh and also, swap Oxbridge with LSE since that will be my second choice.

LSE are known to care a lot about GCSEs.

Hope this helps. :smile:
T-o dore
why - you cant do anything about them now, and you dont have to do your application for a while. Just get high AS grades. PPE is EXTREMELY difficult to get in to (so is SPS at cam) - a girl in my school with 11A* and 6A at AS who would have been amazing at interview and had awesome ECs was rejected. Maybe look other places as well - your gcses are below the average oxbridge applicant so dont get your hopes up. Youre only like 15!

Seriously? How do you know she was amazing at interview, or did she just think that?
Reply 1590
T-o dore

Rubbish, she was probably awful at interview, otherwise she'd be the perfect applicant. Many people just learn vast amounts of facts and regurgitate them for exams and are completely incapable of an independent thought, not to insult her but what other reason would they have for rejection?
Sanjetti
Seriously? How do you know she was amazing at interview, or did she just think that?

Ive talked to her loads of times - she knows like everything lol, and is a very intelligent person. Reads the economist and newspapers daily (very clued up on politics), was president of loads of societies, was a big role in MUN etc. I would assume her to be great at interview. Shes at Durham now.
Mithra
Rubbish, she was probably awful at interview, otherwise she'd be the perfect applicant. Many people just learn vast amounts of facts and regurgitate them for exams and are completely incapable of an independent thought, not to insult her but what other reason would they have for rejection?

Ye maybe - but she seemed happy about how it went after it.
I think you need to have opinions on what you read rather than simply being able to read.
T-o dore

That's not always a good sign. :no:
Reply 1595
T-o dore

Aha :smile: I have heard from admissions tutors that the people who think it went well afterwards did badly as they probably didn't understand :p: .
T-o dore
Ive talked to her loads of times - she knows like everything lol, and is a very intelligent person. Reads the economist and newspapers daily (very clued up on politics), was president of loads of societies, was a big role in MUN etc. I would assume her to be great at interview. Shes at Durham now.

Ah ok, that's well unlucky. I'm sure something must have gone wrong, either that or there was someone better than her :frown: Either way, it's not a nice position to be in. Was she gutted, or happy to go to Durham?
Thanks for the help.

So LSE really are obsessive over GCSE results? Yet they only need AAB? I'm surprised.

Just in case you were intrigued, this year early thing is a pilot scheme. I'm the second year to do it. One of the teaching unions suggested that year 7 was a pointless year that repeated too much year 6 things, and that in a grammar school situation it may work (I am in Kent one of the few state grammar school counties left). So we're the guinea pigs.

Its not working out greatly, as I'm sure I would have done better but surely universities like LSE would take into account that to get 2 A* 7 A (oh I did forget to mention that in my French there was coursework moderation that appeared to be incorrect and that may go up, and my German was 2 marks off A* so thats going back as well, so it may say 4 A* 5 A, albeit in subjects that do not matter) must be good for my age.

I know PPE is extremely hard to get into and if I went to Oxford I would consider things likes History and Politics. However for SPS I hear that's not quite up there with the Law and Medicine courses. I don't know if anyone wnats to correct me there.

I hope I'm not looked down upon by both this forum and Oxbridge for those results! I tried my best but ultimately I am younger than the norm and I never took a conscious decision to do so.

Again yes I'm thinking early but which other universities remain famous enough so that it can still get me into a career in politics and their either history or politics are famously good?

If I don't get 4 As I will get out a razor blade and turn emo btw :P That is an expectation that I MUST reach.

My questions weren't as clear but I'm hoping people can still help out, sorry that its such a lot to take in, but having been told my GCSE grades aren't very good for Oxbridge means I will worry further!

EDIT: I feel that the interview is where I would shine the most. I don't want to sound cocky but my skills lie as an orator, from my furious debating to speaking to teachers and other people. To talk about passions like history or politics seem like something I could do well.

So I suppose I'm asking more would I be accepted to interview to lets use for this example my first choice (at this point) SPS at Cambridge, with 4 As in hard subjects (but not politics A-Level, although the SPS department did confirm with me that I did not need to take that), 2 A* 7 A, a healthy interest in politics along with outside things like Debating societies, and stand as good a chance as the rest of them?
Reply 1598
ok you are a GCSE student and are already making me feel inferior :p:. I only got 2 A*s, 78/8 As and 2 Bs at GCSE and I'm applying for Cambs, as far as I know they care less about GCSEs than many other places, its just that there is generally a correlation between GCSE results and clever people.

Remember the number of people on here who you see with 11 A*s or so, and yet the Cambridge average is only around 6A*s :smile:
jonbooth2929
So LSE really are obsessive over GCSE results? Yet they only need AAB? I'm surprised.

It depends on the course, and there's (probably) no strict rule, but to give an example, it has been said that 7/8 A*s is the minimum to have a realistic chance of getting an offer for L101 Economics. However, I'm pretty sure that people have got offers on here with lower (but still good) GCSEs. Also, for Government and Economics (which I guess is what you would apply for) I would expect them to be less strict about GCSEs.

jonbooth2929
Just in case you were intrigued, this year early thing is a pilot scheme. I'm the second year to do it. One of the teaching unions suggested that year 7 was a pointless year that repeated too much year 6 things, and that in a grammar school situation it may work (I am in Kent one of the few state grammar school counties left). So we're the guinea pigs.

You were unlucky; I went to a grammar school and we just did things normally.

jonbooth2929
Its not working out greatly, as I'm sure I would have done better but surely people like LSE would take into account that to get 2 A* 7 A (oh I did forget to mention that in my French there was coursework moderation that appeared to be incorrect and that may go up, and my German was 2 marks off A* so thats going back as well, so it may say 4 A* 5 A, albeit in subjects that do not matter).

Good luck on the remarks.

jonbooth2929
I know PPE is extremely hard to get into and if I went to Oxford I would consider things likes History and Politics. However for SPS I hear that's not quite up there with the Law and Medicine courses. I don't know if anyone wnats to correct me there.

The only thing I will correct is that it's now called PPS, not SPS. :wink:

jonbooth2929
I hope I'm not looked down upon by both this forum and Oxbridge for those results! I tried my best but ultimately I am younger than the norm and I never took a conscious decision to do so.

Compared to the 2008 TSR offer holders, your GCSEs are below the average. But compared to all Oxbridge applicants, they are probably quite close to the average (maybe slightly below, but not worth worrying about it).

jonbooth2929
Again yes I'm thinking early but which other universities remain famous enough so that it can still get me into a career in politics and their either history or politics are famously good?

Good question.

jonbooth2929
If I don't get 4 As I will get out a razor blade and turn emo btw :P That is an expectation that I MUST reach.

Don't be too hard on yourself. :eek:

jonbooth2929
My questions weren't as clear but I'm hoping people can still help out, sorry that its such a lot to take in, but having been told my GCSE grades aren't very good for Oxbridge means I will worry further!

Barring the remarks, there's nothing you can do about your GCSE grades now, so just concentrate on getting high marks in your AS modules, and then writing a quality personal statement next year. :yep:

Latest

Trending

Trending