The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Usually, it's not the gcses matter, but the as levels, but imo, it's your enthusiasm for your subject.
When i had a talk with the admissions tutor at Queens college he basically GCSE's can never be a disadvantage, only an advantage. If you have good GCSE's and good AS then it sends two good signals, where as with only good AS you send just one good signal.
It was an interesting veiw really.
Reply 1782
It is unlikely they are :s-smilie: about your application because of your GCSE's, unless that was physically said to you. GCSE's have some weight, i assume, but they are not the most important factor, and certainly not as much emphasis is placed upon them as at other Universities like LSE and Durham.

Only having one B at GCSE means that all your others were A's and A*'s, which is a very good result, and your opinion that it is not annoys me. Alot of people would have loved results like that. However this is not the place to discuss this.

I will refer to Oxbridge even though we are in the Cambridge forum as it is just much easier when i plan to generalize.

Ultimately its up to you where you apply to, the only time it would be worth reconsidering (although it is almost too late now really) is if you applying would actually affect the reference written for you or some such thing like that.

Oxbridge will look at your application as a whole; GCSE's have a decent amount of importance but so do AS's, predicted grades, your PS, your reference, your interview (should you get one), your entry test (should there be one), etc etc.

Some are more important than others, granted, but ultimately they want to admit a rounded applicant with academic potential, as it says in the prospectuses. GCSE's were a long time ago for the majority applying and therefore i assume they have less importance in the application procedure.
Reply 1783
Sephirona
Just think about your A level grades, these matter the most. GCSE's barely have any significance.

:s-smilie: Why do you think that?

Everyone applying will pretty much have 4 As at AS. They need to distinguish in more ways than that.
AS Levels: AAAE

Predicited A-levels: AAAA
--------

You're going to go from an E at AS to an A at A2? Nice!
no i got the E in history and i've dropped it and am doing AS+A2 further maths in 1 year.
Already finished my maths alevel and got an A
DaveJ
:s-smilie: Why do you think that?

Everyone applying will pretty much have 4 As at AS. They need to distinguish in more ways than that.

To be fair, while it's great to have GCSEs, there's so much going on with your UCAS application besides grades - i.e., your PS & your reference. And your interview. I think there's a lot more to a person than grades, although my initial question was whether people with Cs and Ds would be instantly rejected based on their GCSEs and not given a chance for interview.
Reply 1787
Never mind
"am doing AS+A2 further maths in 1 year"

Sounds like HELL to me. But gl with it :smile:
LH123
Never mind

Hmm?
haha it kinda is but i don't mind doing it. Hoping that i can either drop bio A2 or the A2 further when offers come through.
Providing the uni's don't mind
But oxford told me that i would need to continue with AS+A2 further due to the E :'(
Reply 1791
serrellen
Hmm?

I wrote something, changed my mind, edited and had nothing else to say.
At least Physics is a little less competitive than arts/humanities. 700 applicants for 100 places at my Cambridge course, I think.
yeah for physics at Oxford it is like 800 for 200
1 in for 4 get in.
Once you get past the initial test [which you only have to get 45% in] the odds are 1 in 2.5 :|
I got Cs and 1 D at GCSE. Clearly, I am doomed.
I got Cs and 1 D at GCSE. Clearly, I am doomed.

Nah i spoke to someone from Cambridge how got worse GCSE's than me and is doing engineering there.
I was given hope haha
What are the chances of Cambridge asking for 4 A's for grades instead of 3? I'm applying to churchill, my grades are in my profile. Thanks
Reply 1797
~40%
They claim not to prefer candidates taking four A levels over those takiing three.
serrellen
Just wondering because I've seen several people on TSR who have really not too great GCSEs applying for Oxbridge (by that I mean Cs and Ds - not that they're not okay, but for Oxbridge standard etc...)

My school was pretty :s-smilie: about me applying for Oxbridge even though I only got one B at GCSE - am I getting the wrong signals or do they really not matter much at all? (I applied despite my annoying teachers' misgivings because I'm rebellious! ha, so this is pretty much just out of curiosity).

Hey OP,

I'm applying for SPS as well :biggrin: - what college are you applying to?
AND Government at LSE (and IR)
AND Politics (but with International Studies) at Warwick

My opinion is that I think people with Cs and Ds may well get rejected before interview for Oxford but for Cambridge its likely that those who have seriously improved for AS will get an interview since they interview around 85-90% of applicants

Latest

Trending

Trending