The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lol yea I know how you're feeling, I get plagued by these paranoid doubts sometimes too! But just remember, you got an A at AS level, you're obviously capable of doing fantastically well so should have no problem with the top grade at A level. If you got an A in AS English, which is apparently one of the 'hardest' subjects to get that grade in, you're clearly really bright!
Woooo for English students!
Reply 2
mxox
Anybody else got an A for AS Eng but scared they might end up with a high B or sth at a2 and get rejected from ALL the unis :eek: nightmare! even if u get 3 other As u need that A in a2 lit.. even if u get 2 marks of a an A or sth? is this true?

I'm worried because although I got an A, it wasn't very high. And I have no English exam in jan so everything comes down to june
Reply 3
My A in English Lit was tainted by a poor mark in the AQA Texts In Context exam - I was doign Faustus and The Witsun Weddings, and I have no idea where it (40 marks) could have gone... :confused: but I'll resit it because it's pretty scary to get a C in the harest exam of the year (or at leats that's what everyone says...)
Reply 4
~Sam~
I'm worried because although I got an A, it wasn't very high. And I have no English exam in jan so everything comes down to june

same as :eek: but i have one coursework module so its just 2 in june! i got two high As and a high C for the AS modules bringing it to a low A. :mad:
Reply 5
pepperpot80
My A in English Lit was tainted by a poor mark in the AQA Texts In Context exam - I was doign Faustus and The Witsun Weddings, and I have no idea where it (40 marks) could have gone... :confused: but I'll resit it because it's pretty scary to get a C in the harest exam of the year (or at leats that's what everyone says...)

i hated whitsun weddings i got a C in that one too! :redface:
mxox
i hated whitsun weddings i got a C in that one too! :redface:

I managed to do really well on Faustus and Whitsun Weddings somehow... but got a low C on the Modern Novel! I'm still crossing my fingers for the remark (hurry up AQA!) but am otherwise resitting it.
Reply 7
RachelBabyfrog
I managed to do really well on Faustus and Whitsun Weddings somehow... but got a low C on the Modern Novel! I'm still crossing my fingers for the remark (hurry up AQA!) but am otherwise resitting it.

What's the point in paying for a remark if you're resitting anyway?
Eeyore
What's the point in paying for a remark if you're resitting anyway?

The school is paying for the remark. They've done it for a few of us because they don't think the marks are correct on that paper. We couldn't just presume that the marks will go up though, so we've all been entered for the resit too. We'll be withdrawn from the resit if the remarks come back with the desired result :smile:
i got a B at AS, not to say i'm not proud of that mark, considering i never read the novel:eek: due to a rubbish teacher who never taught us. Our class did the worse, by getting U's in the novel, i was one of the lucky one's to get a B, God knows how that happened:confused: So i'm re-doing the novel again and starting with Enduring Love. The novel's fantastic! Hopefully i'll get an A this year:smile:
mxox
same as :eek: but i have one coursework module so its just 2 in june! i got two high As and a high C for the AS modules bringing it to a low A. :mad:

It's still an A for God's sake. Jeez, some people are just never satisfied:rolleyes:
RachelBabyfrog
The school is paying for the remark. They've done it for a few of us because they don't think the marks are correct on that paper. We couldn't just presume that the marks will go up though, so we've all been entered for the resit too. We'll be withdrawn from the resit if the remarks come back with the desired result :smile:

Ah, cool. We had to pay for resits, remarks and stuff. I'm only doing one resit though, and I got the script back from that paper so I could see where I went wrong. I hate geography!!! I'd never risk a remark, I'd be too afraid that it'd come back worse than before. Heh.
Reply 12
Don't worry guys.. I did worry loads and I went from just clinging to an A at AS to getting over 70 more UMS points than I needed at A2 :biggrin:
omg!

dont panic *hug*

alot of unis ask for high grades esp on competitive courses. but on results day, if you dont get the A, fone the uni and they'll tel you if they still want you in. eg if noone gets A's for eng for yur course then they'll lower the offer to a B or C.

my mate needed AAB at alevel for Essex uni's law cors. he got CDD but foned them and they let him in
magiccarpet

my mate needed AAB at alevel for Essex uni's law cors. he got CDD but foned them and they let him in

That's highly unlikely for all Universities. I attained AABB grades, which was well above the entry requirements for my course but still didn't get into my first choice - just because I was three marks off that A in English. However, I don't want to make everyone panic! It's just the higher the demand there is for your course; it becomes much more vital to achieve the entry requirements. If you meet it, Universities are obliged to keep with the offer they made you. However if you miss it, it makes things very difficult (that’s not to say they won’t be lenient) but just try your hardest in the exams and hopefully things should work out. If you don't make the grade, it's not the end of the world. Luckily things worked out for me, I'm at the University that's apparently eighth best for English - ranked much higher than my first choice.
Reply 15
waiting2smile
That's highly unlikely for all Universities. I attained AABB grades, which was well above the entry requirements for my course but still didn't get into my first choice - just because I was three marks off that A in English. However, I don't want to make everyone panic! It's just the higher the demand there is for your course; it becomes much more vital to achieve the entry requirements. If you meet it, Universities are obliged to keep with the offer they made you. However if you miss it, it makes things very difficult (that’s not to say they won’t be lenient) but just try your hardest in the exams and hopefully things should work out. If you don't make the grade, it's not the end of the world. Luckily things worked out for me, I'm at the University that's apparently eighth best for English - ranked much higher than my first choice.

basically you have to compete with the competition. if there's too many people meeting the entry requirments for an already oversubscribed course then Universities have to ...
Reply 16
guys im scareddddddddddddd. i cant stop thinking abt all this. :frown:
Reply 17
Well....guess what happened with my results? Apparentley there was an "errant examiner" who mismarked my whole school's papers. People who were predicted As got Cs (like me), and those who were expected to do not so good got As. In addition to this, on my Spanish listening paper I got 17/90, so I asked for a remark. Guess what....they 'forgot' to count all the marks. I actually got 90/90. It is such a pain to work hard all year and then have your paper marked by an examiner who isn't properly qualified to examine! My school is currently appealing to QCA to get out results changed, so fingers crossed! Has anyone else had similar problems? It is Edexcel by the way.
Reply 18
cjfrench2
It is Edexcel by the way.

What a surprise!
I had an edexcel experience too! One of my AS English papers was given a D, which was slightly anomalous as the more gifted students of the class were given low grades too and the 'I'm doing this subject cos I couldn't think of anything else' people got As and Bs. In the end, the whole classes papers were remarked and my grade went up by a third!
Didn't happen at A2, thank god.

Latest

Trending

Trending