The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Yes, universities are very picky, and I'm not sure your GP or a brief work experience encounter reference will cut it. Some people go back to their Schools for refs as a graduate, or to an employer...
A lot of university lecturers are skilled at writing a reference, and to be honest I think it would look better if one of them wrote it instead of a school teacher...what would that say about your university studies??

What I did was I gave my CV to the lecturer I wanted a reference from, and wrote a quick character profile about myself (which was completely honest) to help him out. He knew me fairly well, but of course these things are good for jogging somebody's memory you see. If they already have the info they need, they can draft you a well-worded one in no time! :smile:
Reply 3
My problem is, there isn't anyone at my university to write me a good one. My lecturers are either:
- weird and wont write anyone a decent reference especially for medicine.
- Have little contact with me (we only had the one lecturer the whole year)
- Do not know me at all on a personal level

Out of everyone I can think of one but even she don't know my desire for medicine & taught me only in year1-2 for a little while.

What type of people can write my reference?

Could I not do work experience and use as Dr to write my reference?

The only other option is that I use a collegue who I work with at the ENT department.

Latest

Trending

Trending