The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Joe312
No I don't think it's a choice, I too am part of the western culture which believes it is inherent, but I prefer not to be culturally insensitive to different cultures who believe different.

Well if it is not a choice then whether or not it is "culturally irrelevant " is quite irrelevant then surely? Every "culture" can occasionally support really ridiculous thinking from time to time! This is an example. One should not collude with "cultural" falsehoods!
Original post by Joe312
So you admit that it's not just your personal view and that you think it's a fact. Regardless of whether it's a fact or not, it's culturally insensitive of you to present it as if other cultures who believe different are wrong and that they should accept your view because they are wrong.

Please show me where I have said anyone should accept my view? Even there existence of a fact does not mean people will believe it to be true. There are people who accept as fact that the earth is flat. They see it as a fact. I see it as a fact that sexuality is inherent. Animals have sexuality, plants have sexuality it exist throughout nature in being which in some cases can be argued unable to make a conscious choice of whether or not to act upon a sexuality. That's the difference
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous
Are you a muslim yourself?

Why is your question of any relevance at all to what was asked?
Reply 23
Original post by wonderwheels
Please show me where I have said anyone should accept my view? Even there existence of a fact does not mean people will believe it to be true. There are people who accept as fact that the earth is flat. They see it as a fact. I see it as a fact that sexuality is inherent. Animals have sexuality, plants have sexuality it exist throughout nature in being which in some cases can be argued unable to make a conscious choice of whether or not to act upon a sexuality. That's the difference

You said it was a fact, which implies that those who don't believe it are factually wrong while you are factually right. This suggests others should accept your view otherwise you think they will be factually wrong.

I agree with you that it's a fact, you don't need to give me the evidence for homosexuality being inherent, I agree with it, but I would not be so culturally insensitive as to broadcast my belief as if it were fact to cultures which have different views. That's culturally insensitive.
Reply 24
Original post by mgi
Well if it is not a choice then whether or not it is "culturally irrelevant " is quite irrelevant then surely? Every "culture" can occasionally support really ridiculous thinking from time to time! This is an example. One should not collude with "cultural" falsehoods!

It's culturally insensitive to claim that other cultures have 'ridiculous' thinking, even if they are factually wrong. That's what the British used as an excuse for their colonialism.
Reply 25
Original post by Joe312
You said it was a fact, which implies that those who don't believe it are factually wrong while you are factually right. This suggests others should accept your view otherwise you think they will be factually wrong.

I agree with you that it's a fact, you don't need to give me the evidence for homosexuality being inherent, I agree with it, but I would not be so culturally insensitive as to broadcast my belief as if it were fact to cultures which have different views. That's culturally insensitive.

No. Wrong. Are you saying that uncomfortable things, that you yourself believe to be true, should be kept to one's self? For what purpose? To achieve what? to allow ignorance or unfsir treatments to continue longer? No thanks!
Reply 26
Original post by mgi
No. Wrong. Are you saying that uncomfortable things, that you yourself believe to be true, should be kept to one's self? For what purpose? To achieve what? to allow ignorance or unfsir treatments to continue longer? No thanks!

The purpose is to avoid colonialist mindsets like yours where some cultures think they are better than others.
Reply 27
Original post by Joe312
It's culturally insensitive to claim that other cultures have 'ridiculous' thinking, even if they are factually wrong. That's what the British used as an excuse for their colonialism.

No they didn't. You agreed with much of the argument put forward yet you don't want to say it to muslims who may not agree with yiu because of cultural sensitivity!??! And would you not call out colonial racism because it might have "culturally insensitive " to the colonisers?
Reply 28
Original post by mgi
No they didn't. You agreed with much of the argument put forward yet you don't want to say it to muslims who may not agree with yiu because of cultural sensitivity!??! And would you not call out colonial racism because it might have "culturally insensitive " to the colonisers?

The British thought that their culture was superior and that this justified their colonialism. Colonial racism is cultural insensitivity so yes I would call it out.
Reply 29
Original post by Joe312
The purpose is to avoid colonialist mindsets like yours where some cultures think they are better than others.

This is not true. You now need to define the word "culture" because you are now deviating on to colonialism! Why?
How is it "culturally insensitive " to say being gay is inherent? Is it culturally insensitive to also say that an obsession in India with light skin being better is wrong as well then? and what of FGM in some African "cultures"?
Original post by Joe312

We're going to go round in circles here, so I think we should wind this up because you are misrepresenting what I'm saying. I would like to point out though that the way your are touting your interpretation of what is and isn't culturally insensitive, it essentially stating your opinion as fact. This is precisely what you are criticising me for, yet you don't have an issue with your own behavior.

To sum up: It's ok to be religious and gay. Everyone has a sexuality of some form. it's ok to act upon or choose not to act upon your sexuality as you see fit. It's fine to disagree with me or to state something you also support as being a fact to you. I have nowhere stated anyone must or even should agree with me. You might want to learn new ways or putting your point across that don't involve namecalling. it discredits you
Reply 31
Original post by Joe312
The British thought that their culture was superior and that this justified their colonialism. Colonial racism is cultural insensitivity so yes I would call it out.

But you wouldn't do the same about attitudes towards homosexuality!??
Reply 32
Original post by mgi
This is not true. You now need to define the word "culture" because you are now deviating on to colonialism! Why?
How is it "culturally insensitive " to say being gay is inherent? Is it culturally insensitive to also say that an obsession in India with light skin being better is wrong as well then? and what of FGM in some African "cultures"?

It's culturally insensitive because different cultures have a different view so you shouldn't present your cultures view as a fact, even if it is a fact, because it is offensive to other cultures.
Reply 33
Original post by Joe312
It's culturally insensitive because different cultures have a different view so you shouldn't present your cultures view as a fact, even if it is a fact, because it is offensive to other cultures.

So keep one's views to oneself if it may be offensive to other cultures? is that what you are saying?
Reply 34
Original post by wonderwheels
We're going to go round in circles here, so I think we should wind this up because you are misrepresenting what I'm saying. I would like to point out though that the way your are touting your interpretation of what is and isn't culturally insensitive, it essentially stating your opinion as fact. This is precisely what you are criticising me for, yet you don't have an issue with your own behavior.

To sum up: It's ok to be religious and gay. Everyone has a sexuality of some form. it's ok to act upon or choose not to act upon your sexuality as you see fit. It's fine to disagree with me or to state something you also support as being a fact to you. I have nowhere stated anyone must or even should agree with me. You might want to learn new ways or putting your point across that don't involve namecalling. it discredits you

I'm claiming that it's culturally insensitive to present something as a fact, even if it is a fact, if there are cultures which have a different view and might be offended.

I don't see how my own behaviour violates this.

I think that if you state a culture is factually wrong then this amounts to claiming that they should agree with you because being factually wrong is not a good thing.
Reply 35
Original post by mgi
So keep one's views to oneself if it may be offensive to other cultures? is that what you are saying?

No it's fine to express your views just be clear that it's your cultural view rather than a fact.
First of all, if you read the last part of my post, I said that because Islam is the focus of this thread, it is more appropriate to focus on that religion. Just because some Islamic laws are based on other religions, does not mean Islam is no longer ridiculous. In fact, Islam is more ridiculous for adopting such rubbish moral principles.
Reply 37
Original post by onceuponatime1
First of all, if you read the last part of my post, I said that because Islam is the focus of this thread, it is more appropriate to focus on that religion. Just because some Islamic laws are based on other religions, does not mean Islam is no longer ridiculous. In fact, Islam is more ridiculous for adopting such rubbish moral principles.

That's culturally insensitive.
Original post by mgi
And what word is the word" Islam" derived from? With respect, a lot of tsr muslims appear to not know!

Submission.
Original post by Joe312
I'm claiming that it's culturally insensitive to present something as a fact, even if it is a fact, if there are cultures which have a different view and might be offended.

I don't see how my own behaviour violates this.

I think that if you state a culture is factually wrong then this amounts to claiming that they should agree with you because being factually wrong is not a good thing.

Find me a culture/religion/group of any sort who actually explicitly states that LGBT sexuality does not exist. You're conflating the existence of a trait with whether or not an individual should act upon that trait. Some islam interpretations state that people should not engage in homosexual acts. They don't say that such people who have those tendencies don't exist.

Also I have no where in this thread stated that being wrong is bad. If someone has a different interpretation than me which leads them not to believe my interpretation is a fact then fine. It's a matter of perspective.

Latest

Trending

Trending