The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe312
That's culturally insensitive.

Ha ha ha. Why should I respect a culture that punishes homosexuality by death, oppresses women and punishes apostasy by death? Just because a culture exists, does not mean I should respect it. Do you respect the culture of cannibals? I do not think so.
Reply 41
Original post by Joe312
No it's fine to express your views just be clear that it's your cultural view rather than a fact.

So, what is actually the "fact" regarding the homosexuality topic that we are discussing?
Reply 42
Original post by wonderwheels
Find me a culture/religion/group of any sort who actually explicitly states that LGBT sexuality does not exist. You're conflating the existence of a trait with whether or not an individual should act upon that trait. Some islam interpretations state that people should not engage in homosexual acts. They don't say that such people who have those tendencies don't exist.

Also I have no where in this thread stated that being wrong is bad. If someone has a different interpretation than me which leads them not to believe my interpretation is a fact then fine. It's a matter of perspective.

I understand that parts of the Quran (and Bible, etc) say that homosexual acts are wrong, they say nothing of the orientation. But holy books are not the only thing that determines a religious culture. It is a cultural view in many religions, Islam included, that the homosexual orientation is bad. I think Pope Ratzinger called it a 'disorder', for example.

I don't understand your last sentence. You stated earlier that your belief was a fact, but now you say it's just an interpretation, and a matter of perspective? So it's not a fact after all then? Regardless, religious cultures which believe homosexuality is a choice leads to things like conversion therapy and public hangings, which causes suffering. Are you sure that you want to say that being wrong is 'fine', given these are the consequences?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 43
Original post by RogerOxon
Submission.

Whst else?
Original post by mgi
So, what is actually the "fact" regarding the homosexuality topic that we are discussing?

I believe Joe312 thinks i shout not have stated as fact (which I didn't at any point) that sexuality is inherent and not a conscious choice
Reply 45
Original post by onceuponatime1
Ha ha ha. Why should I respect a culture that punishes homosexuality by death, oppresses women and punishes apostasy by death? Just because a culture exists, does not mean I should respect it. Do you respect the culture of cannibals? I do not think so.

Yes I do.

You should respect other cultures because otherwise we are in danger of a colonialist mindset. In the west we kill way more people than those cultures do with our foreign policy, which profits in its popular support from colonialist attitudes like yours.
Original post by Joe312
I'm claiming that it's culturally insensitive to present something as a fact, even if it is a fact, if there are cultures which have a different view and might be offended.

I don't see how my own behaviour violates this.

I think that if you state a culture is factually wrong then this amounts to claiming that they should agree with you because being factually wrong is not a good thing.

You are right that colonialist, imperialist and capitalist cultures have attempted to impose values on subjugated peoples, to their detriment. But simply saying something is a 'fact' when another culture does not share that belief is not intrinsically colonialist or racist. The key dimension is power. Colonialist, imperialists and capitalists impose damaging ideologies on subjugated cultures by brute force - arms, economics etc. The opinion of a single, anonymous, poster on TSR is not a threat to another culture.

The cultures you purport to be defending aren't delicate flowers which have no defence towards other ideas, or experience of discussion or debate. On the contrary, many are welcoming of insights from other cultures. Polio has only been stopped from crippling and killing thousands across the world because cultures accepted new 'facts' about sanitation and the value of vaccination were shared and accepted, sweeping away traditional beliefs about spirits and withcraft as causative agents/cures.
Original post by Joe312
Yes I do.

You should respect other cultures because otherwise we are in danger of a colonialist mindset. In the west we kill way more people than those cultures do with our foreign policy, which profits in its popular support from colonialist attitudes like yours.

Thank you for making me laugh so much! Hahahahahaha.

So you are willing to accept an ideology that kills homosexuals and apostates? Oh please, get in the bin. You respect cannibals? No offense, but are you insane? Just because something exists does not mean it should be respected. If a cannibal ate your mother or someone you cared about, would you go up to the cannibal and say "I respect that"? No.
Reply 48
I disagree. That sexuality is inherent is a fact. whether you choose to express or act upon your sexuality is a choice, but everyone has a sexuality whether they believe it is wrong or right to live that way.

I believe Joe312 thinks i shout not have stated as fact (which I didn't at any point) that sexuality is inherent and not a conscious choice

You've contradicted yourself now, you clearly did state it was a fact. I've quoted it above.
Reply 49

Even though he says that he actually agrees with the statement. This is the bit of his argument i just don't see. He seems to be saying not to speak if it is "culturally sensitive"topic. At no point does he define what he means by culture.
It would also logically suggest that he would in theory keep quiet about other culturally sensitive evils as well- because it might offend that culture!?
Original post by mgi
Whst else?

I'm not going to debate here - it is not allowed.
*Turns away from thread and runs...*
Original post by Joe312
I understand that parts of the Quran (and Bible, etc) say that homosexual acts are wrong, they say nothing of the orientation. But holy books are not the only thing that determines a religious culture. It is a cultural view in many religions, Islam included, that the homosexual orientation is bad. I think Pope Ratzinger called it a 'disorder', for example.

I don't understand your last sentence. You stated earlier that your belief was a fact, but now you say it's just an interpretation, and a matter of perspective? So it's not a fact after all then? Regardless, religious cultures which believe homosexuality is a choice leads to things like conversion therapy and public hangings, which causes suffering. Are you sure that you want to say that being wrong is 'fine', given these are the consequences?

There is no such thing as a completely objective fact. Everything can be proven or disproven depending on your perspective. To me, sexuality is inherent but that is based upon my interpretation of evidence. If something can be proven or back up by evidence it's a fact. but it's still a result of someone's interpretation. Facts are subjective.
Reply 53
Original post by mgi
Even though he says that he actually agrees with the statement. This is the bit of his argument i just don't see. He seems to be saying not to speak if it is "culturally sensitive"topic. At no point does he define what he means by culture.
It would also logically suggest that he would in theory keep quiet about other culturally sensitive evils as well- because it might offend that culture!?

They are only evil to your culture.
Reply 54
I'm not going to debate here - it is not allowed.

Why not?
Original post by Joe312
You've contradicted yourself now, you clearly did state it was a fact. I've quoted it above.

As I have just explained to you in another post, it is a fact based on my interpretation of the evidence. To me. I never said anyone else should accept it as fact.
Original post by mgi
Why not?

If you want debate, you need to ask for the thread to be moved to a debate forum.
Reply 57
Original post by OxFossil
You are right that colonialist, imperialist and capitalist cultures have attempted to impose values on subjugated peoples, to their detriment. But simply saying something is a 'fact' when another culture does not share that belief is not intrinsically colonialist or racist. The key dimension is power. Colonialist, imperialists and capitalists impose damaging ideologies on subjugated cultures by brute force - arms, economics etc. The opinion of a single, anonymous, poster on TSR is not a threat to another culture.

The cultures you purport to be defending aren't delicate flowers which have no defence towards other ideas, or experience of discussion or debate. On the contrary, many are welcoming of insights from other cultures. Polio has only been stopped from crippling and killing thousands across the world because cultures accepted new 'facts' about sanitation and the value of vaccination were shared and accepted, sweeping away traditional beliefs about spirits and withcraft as causative agents/cures.

I would agree that it's not racist, but I do think it's colonialist. Of course individual postings on TSR don't have much power, but they are an expression of opinion of an individual in a democracy and part of a general culture which adds up and does amount to real power in terms of which foreign policies are popular and so on. Your comment is just like saying that it's pointless to vote because each vote doesn't have the power to win an election.

I'm not suggesting other cultures are delicate flowers, I'm claiming that we ought not to be culturally insensitive because of the danger inherent in our own culture, as history attests, of being colonialist.
Reply 58
Original post by Joe312
They are only evil to your culture.

Not true! Lots of other muslims agree with me and many, because of "culture" are not willing to openly reveal who they are and what they believe. Thats why we can get muslim lesbians marrying men! Its "cultural" pressure and its evil, yes!
https://imaanlondon.wordpress.com
If you want debate, you need to ask for the thread to be moved to a debate forum.

To be fair the OP never asked for a debate they asked for advice on support for LGBT muslims. Which I did originally give. I'm just defending myself against namecalling now.

Latest

Trending

Trending