The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by wonderwheels
There is no such thing as a completely objective fact. Everything can be proven or disproven depending on your perspective. To me, sexuality is inherent but that is based upon my interpretation of evidence. If something can be proven or back up by evidence it's a fact. but it's still a result of someone's interpretation. Facts are subjective.

I don't understand how evidence backing up a claim can be a result of someone's interpretation? Is the claim that water boils at 100 degrees C just an interpretation? What was the interpretation that led to the claim that the Sun is at the centre of the solar system? Are these really 'subjective' claims?

Facts cannot be subjective. Subjective means mind-dependent, or a matter of opinion. If something is a matter of opinion, like music taste or taste in art, then it is not a matter of fact. Matters of fact are objective.
Reply 61
a noose probably. or a pyre :< they should just join any lgbt+ community, most are extremely supportive
Reply 62
Original post by Joe312
I don't understand how evidence backing up a claim can be a result of someone's interpretation? Is the claim that water boils at 100 degrees C just an interpretation? What was the interpretation that led to the claim that the Sun is at the centre of the solar system? Are these really 'subjective' claims?

Facts cannot be subjective. Subjective means mind-dependent, or a matter of opinion. If something is a matter of opinion, like music taste or taste in art, then it is not a matter of fact. Matters of fact are objective.

Not all" facts" are subjective, agreed.
Reply 63
Original post by mgi
Not true! Lots of other muslims agree with me and many, because of "culture" are not willing to openly reveal who they are and what they believe. Thats why we can get muslim lesbians marrying men! Its "cultural" pressure and its evil, yes!
https://imaanlondon.wordpress.com

Yes not all Muslims share the same culture, there are different sects and so on. There is liberal muslim culture and conservative muslim culture, etc. The muslims who agree with you, agree with your cultural view that homophobia is evil. Those muslims who don't agree with you, don't agree that it's evil. It's still only evil from your cultural viewpoint, even if some muslims agree with your cultural viewpoint.
Original post by Joe312
I would agree that it's not racist, but I do think it's colonialist. Of course individual postings on TSR don't have much power, but they are an expression of opinion of an individual in a democracy and part of a general culture which adds up and does amount to real power in terms of which foreign policies are popular and so on. Your comment is just like saying that it's pointless to vote because each vote doesn't have the power to win an election.

I'm not suggesting other cultures are delicate flowers, I'm claiming that we ought not to be culturally insensitive because of the danger inherent in our own culture, as history attests, of being colonialist.

Culutral sensitivity is a good thing, especially given the history you mention. But how do yoou propse handling - say - the knowledge that HIV is spread by sexual intercourse in cultures where it's believed that it is the result of witchcraft? i assume you dont object to telling people in those communities about germ theory and the value of condoms?

Colonialism has left us with a messy legacy. But to suggest we should therefore have a 'no touch' policy is daft. Whether we like it or not, the whole world has been broken open and liberal hand-wringing about colonial guilt will only leave the field open to the really Bad Guys (as well as the powerful elites within those countries themselves) - the evangelical Christians of the US, big oil, big agriculture, big arms sellers, and disaster capitalists.

Back on topic, do you really think 'indigenous' beliefs like social ostracism and the stoning of gay people should be left to sort themselves out?
Reply 65
Original post by OxFossil
Culutral sensitivity is a good thing, especially given the history you mention. But how do yoou propse handling - say - the knowledge that HIV is spread by sexual intercourse in cultures where it's believed that it is the result of witchcraft? i assume you dont object to telling people in those communities about germ theory and the value of condoms?

Colonialism has left us with a messy legacy. But to suggest we should therefore have a 'no touch' policy is daft. Whether we like it or not, the whole world has been broken open and liberal hand-wringing about colonial guilt will only leave the field open to the really Bad Guys (as well as the powerful elites within those countries themselves) - the evangelical Christians of the US, big oil, big agriculture, big arms sellers, and disaster capitalists.

Back on topic, do you really think 'indigenous' beliefs like social ostracism and the stoning of gay people should be left to sort themselves out?

It's easy to point to examples where our intervention would do good, however my point is that, given our history, it's dangerous to give in to that since we should expect that the proposition that we ought to intervene for the good of others, once justified in our minds, will lead to more harm than good. It's not a proper evaluation for you to simply mention the good we could do, you have to measure that against the negative results of our foreign policy and I think once we think of it like that it's better to just leave people to themselves, yes.
Reply 66
Original post by Joe312
It's easy to point to examples where our intervention would do good, however my point is that, given our history, it's dangerous to give in to that since we should expect that the proposition that we ought to intervene for the good of others, once justified in our minds, will lead to more harm than good. It's not a proper evaluation for you to simply mention the good we could do, you have to measure that against the negative results of our foreign policy and I think once we think of it like that it's better to just leave people to themselves, yes.

"Leave people to themselves-" ideally yea, but not when there are human rights abuses- no. Deep South white racist culture should not be left to itself for example. It should be challenged!- even if it is "culturally insensitive " to do so as you claim.
Original post by Joe312

Your purity is high. But in practice, there is no 'safe' option. Your purity simply leaves poor people to the tender mercies of the big oil companies, the arms traders, the forest clearers, the mineral extractors, the grossly corrupt and the rest of the extinction merchants.
Original post by Joe312

I'd add that indigenous people and oppressed minorities are themselves asking for help from 'outsiders'. Take a look at Amazon Watch, for example, where indigenous Amerindians are appealing for support against the loggers and Bolsanaro. Or look at the work of international LGBTQ solidarity organisations - where LGBTQ people in Africa and the Middle and Far East attribute amelioration of their oppression to international lobbying (including stating that it is wrong to discriminate against them!). Or the women and girls trying to stop the horror of FGM - also insistent on how valuable 'Western' pressure is. 'Purity' isn't any use to them.
Original post by Joe312
Yes I do.

You should respect other cultures because otherwise we are in danger of a colonialist mindset. In the west we kill way more people than those cultures do with our foreign policy, which profits in its popular support from colonialist attitudes like yours.

Rubbish. Respect is always earned and never given freely.
Reply 70
Original post by OxFossil
Your purity is high. But in practice, there is no 'safe' option. Your purity simply leaves poor people to the tender mercies of the big oil companies, the arms traders, the forest clearers, the mineral extractors, the grossly corrupt and the rest of the extinction merchants.

I acknowledged the downsides to my proposal, but I'm suggesting that nonetheless the upsides of avoiding the danger of colonialism makes it worth it. I don't see that you've made a counter-argument to that claim, you've just reiterated that there are downsides.
Reply 71
Original post by onceuponatime1
Thank you for making me laugh so much! Hahahahahaha.

So you are willing to accept an ideology that kills homosexuals and apostates? Oh please, get in the bin. You respect cannibals? No offense, but are you insane? Just because something exists does not mean it should be respected. If a cannibal ate your mother or someone you cared about, would you go up to the cannibal and say "I respect that"? No.

I didn't say I accepted it, I just think that it's better to avoid the colonialist mindset of thinking our culture is better, because history shows the results of that are bad.

Cannibalism is not part of my culture so I'm not in danger of being attacked by them.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by Guru Jason

That's the definition of respect which you clearly believe in, I'm suggesting that the world would be a better place if we had a view of respect which didn't involve colonialist attitudes about our cultural supremacy.
I just saw this thread and felt like i needed to add that im Muslim- I'm 21, and struggle with my sexuality. It's been around 7 years now, of suppressing my emotions, loneliness and so much more...
I'm not into men. :frown:
But Islam is also so important to me, i feel I cannot be both Muslim and gay this is why i have to supress my feelings and soon due to expectations of marrying, I'm going to have to find any man to commit to although I will not be attracted to him.
It's hard. Very hard. But I feel its hard for any religious lgbt people not just Muslims.

Spoiler

Original post by Joe312
That's the definition of respect which you clearly believe in, I'm suggesting that the world would be a better place if we had a view of respect which didn't involve colonialist attitudes about our cultural supremacy.

No, your talking about tolerance, not respect. We must not tolerate or respect any ideas or actions that aren't worth it. Is not about colonialism, it's about human decency.
Reply 75
No, your talking about tolerance, not respect. We must not tolerate or respect any ideas or actions that aren't worth it. Is not about colonialism, it's about human decency.

Your view of human decency is just your culture's view. Thinking that you have a right to impose your culture's view on others is indeed colonialist.
Reply 76

Yes, indeed, absolutely!
Lol I am an agnostic. I am against specific aspects of all religions. Muslims are only Muslims if they believe in Islam, and so Islam is also part of the focus of this thread, as Muslims believe in the ideology of Islam. I am addressing one point here; I am aware that there is a lot of history behind these ideologies, but that does not negate the fact that Islam still deems it appropriate to adopt them. Okay, so they are inherited from Christianity and Judaism. So what? I am not saying that Islam is exclusively guilty for having such poor moral principles; I am aware that Christianity, Judaism and Islam come under Abrahamic faiths. The problem here is also that Islam (or the people who founded it should I say) felt it was right to adopt these laws.

And please, do not tell me that I research Islam specifically to attack it. I am simply stating the truth. If it hurts you, then so be it. In order to be able to think and adhere to freedom of speech, you have to risk being offensive. We all have to be willing to offend someone if it means that we can pursue the truth.
Reply 78
Original post by Joe312
Your view of human decency is just your culture's view. Thinking that you have a right to impose your culture's view on others is indeed colonialist.

Not necessarily! That's why we have Human rights and Equality law! Otherwise we end up with opinionated circular arguments about how people should be treated or viewed based on dubious "cultural" ideas!
Reply 79
Original post by mgi
Not necessarily! That's why we have Human rights and Equality law! Otherwise we end up with opinionated circular arguments about how people should be treated or viewed based on dubious "cultural" ideas!

Human rights are a western cultural construct.

Latest

Trending

Trending