The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Joe312
Your view of human decency is just your culture's view. Thinking that you have a right to impose your culture's view on others is indeed colonialist.

No, you confusing multiple things.

For example, being nice and being kind are not the same.

My view on human decency is not my cultures view, it is my own.

I do not have to respect someone ideology to be kind to them.
Reply 81
Original post by Guru Jason
No, you confusing multiple things.

For example, being nice and being kind are not the same.

My view on human decency is not my cultures view, it is my own.

I do not have to respect someone ideology to be kind to them.

I'm not sure that I'm following, what is the implication for my argument of your claims here?
I would love to hear about some great lgbt Muslim resources! :yep:

I am not muslim, but i know the struggle of conflicting sexuality with faith :smile:
Original post by yzanne
I would love to hear about some great lgbt Muslim resources! :yep:

I am not muslim, but i know the struggle of conflicting sexuality with faith :smile:

There are great resources for it, use Reddit, there is a sub reddit for lgbt people
Original post by Joe312
I'm not sure that I'm following, what is the implication for my argument of your claims here?

You are saying that we should respect people regardless of who they are or what they believe or how they behave.

I'm saying that's rubbish and thet we should respect people only on the content of their character and should it be found to be lacking the they should be rightly criticised for it.

As I said, respect is earned. And I'm pretty sure that respect is defined the same way throughout all cultures not just my western imperialist one you keep saying. I think youre confusing respect with admiration and/or tolerance.
Reply 85
Original post by Guru Jason
You are saying that we should respect people regardless of who they are or what they believe or how they behave.

I'm saying that's rubbish and thet we should respect people only on the content of their character and should it be found to be lacking the they should be rightly criticised for it.

As I said, respect is earned. And I'm pretty sure that respect is defined the same way throughout all cultures not just my western imperialist one you keep saying. I think youre confusing respect with admiration and/or tolerance.

Well I say we shouldn't be culturally insensitive, I don't think that means we have to accept or like what they do. I don't think I used the word respect.

Latest

Trending

Trending