The Student Room Group

PGCE Primary course in the UK

Hi there,I am from Ireland and I'm looking to apply to a PGCE in England. First of all, I have most of my UCAS application filled out but I'm abit unsure about the process that goes forward after that.I have been informed that if I get interviews I have to do a skills test? Can anyone offer advice on this please. Also, If i do get an interview what documents do I need with me? Also can anyone offer me advice on a successful interview and what else do I have to do on the day. I'm also abit confused on where to do my PGCE. If anyone has any advice on Universities I'd be very appreciative.Also, for UCAS application I need two references? Is this so? If so, should I get one from my main university lecturer and the other one from a principal of a school where I have done work experience. Please help a very stressed out university student :smile:)
Hi

I've moved your thread to our teaching careers section where you'll get more useful advice.

You will need to pass skills tests as a condition of your PGCE offer. The skills tests aren't too difficult, you can find practice versions online here:
http://sta.education.gov.uk/ However, accessing a center that offers these may be more difficult. There's a test center in Northern Ireland, but none in RoI.

At interview, you'll usually need to prove your identity. It helps if you can take enough documents for a DBS check. Passport, driving license and birth certificate is ideal. Otherwise, Passport or driving license plus 2 recent forms of proof of address will work.

Interviews vary a bit uni to uni, but usually there will be some kind of presentation task, some kind of written task, a group discussion task and a one on one interview. You'll be given lots of information by the uni prior to interview about what they expect you to do, and usually they are looking for potential, rather than the finished product.

As you'd be moving to the UK, I'd look first for a university that is able to offer you local placements, as well as somewhere you think will be supportive. The PGCE is a standard qualification, so I wouldn't worry too much about university reputation.

You do need two references and one must be academic. Your main uni lecturer is a good idea for the academic one- while the other one can be from anyone. If you've done a lot of work experience in school, that is a great option, but if they don't know you as well, an employer's reference or a second academic reference will be fine.

I hope this helps and please feel free to ask any further questions!
Once you submit your UCAS form, you need to wait for the references to come back (this can take a while). You will receive emails when each referee has completed the reference. Once both of them have, you can then pay the £1 and submit your application. You do need two references. One needs to be an academic reference (so someone from your university). The other can be anyone who can comment on your ability to be a teacher.

The providers then have up to 40 days. You will receive a notification that they have received your application and then (hopefully) invited to interview.

Yes, you need to pass the QTS skills tests in numeracy and literacy. Most providers want you to book them before your interview (but some are a bit more flexible). Mine didn't mind that I hadn't booked it as I wanted to complete my dissertation first in December. Some providers set dates for when they want you to pass the skills tests by, others just say before you start the course.

For the interview, I had to bring ID with me. I had to upload certificates prior to the interview so I didn't take much with me.
I am a bit confused on the Education section, It says GCSEs or equivalent and what I thought was the equivalent in Ireland was the Junior Certificate exam results,but there's no option for this. There is only an option for Leaving Certificate exam results and that is meant to be the nearest equivalent to the A Levels in the UK. Does it matter about these exams if you have a degree as well? I am currently in my final year of a Bachelors Degree and thought the exam results from this would be sufficient enough. Could someone advise me on this please?
Original post by Vivienneisabella
I am a bit confused on the Education section, It says GCSEs or equivalent and what I thought was the equivalent in Ireland was the Junior Certificate exam results,but there's no option for this. There is only an option for Leaving Certificate exam results and that is meant to be the nearest equivalent to the A Levels in the UK. Does it matter about these exams if you have a degree as well? I am currently in my final year of a Bachelors Degree and thought the exam results from this would be sufficient enough. Could someone advise me on this please?

In England the GCSEs or equivalent are required, regardless of your higher education. If there's an option for Leaving Cert results and you studied the relevant subjects, this should be fine. If you haven't, it might be worth contacting the unis you're applying to and ask them to advise.
Reply 5
A LEVELS/ GCSEs are Irish Leaving cert equivalent x

Hi Guys again,
Could anyone advise me what to put into my personal statement regarding why I want to do teaching over in UK rather than Ireland?
I am abit lost on that area. I have alot of other details such as my work experience in schools and what I do in college but I was advised to put in why I want to teach in UK rather than Ireland.
Thanks again!
Hi Guys again,
Could anyone advise me what to put into my personal statement regarding why I want to do teaching over in UK rather than Ireland?
I am abit lost on that area. I have alot of other details such as my work experience in schools and what I do in college but I was advised to put in why I want to teach in UK rather than Ireland.
Thanks again!

Is there anything about the English education system/curriculum you prefer?

What are your actual reasons for preferring England to Ireland?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending