The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Rejected by UCL just now

Applied with 4A*s( maths, further maths, economics and physics) Only Economics is predicted, achieved 3A*s in my AS year.
But I got rejected by Cambridge, UCL for economics and LSE for maths and economics.
UCL is my dream uni and I didn’t expect I would be rejected.
I can’t help crying now, what should I do now. I only have two offers from kcl and Warwick (economics). Feeling like I’m the worst student in the world.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You can't expect to be successful, people will be 'rejected' they have thousands of applicants. You have two good offers.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
This is very dramatic. What's wrong with KCL and Warwick? Warwick is one of the best unis for economics.

Life is about accepting failure. It doesn't owe you anything
Original post by sherryeww
Applied with 4A*s( maths, further maths, economics and physics) Only Economics is predicted, achieved 3A*s in my AS year.
But I got rejected by Cambridge, UCL for economics and LSE for maths and economics.
I can’t help crying now, what should I do now. I only have two offers from kcl and Warwick (economics). Feeling like I’m the worst student in the world.

You are not the worst student in the world but I understand why you're feeling heartbroken.

You could reapply next year when you have all your grades confirmed. Or if you do better than expected see if there are any places via adjustment in the summer.

Do you actually like KLC and Warwick? Or were they "just in case" options?
Reply 4
Original post by She-Ra
You are not the worst student in the world but I understand why you're feeling heartbroken.

You could reapply next year when you have all your grades confirmed. Or if you do better than expected see if there are any places via adjustment in the summer.

Do you actually like KLC and Warwick? Or were they "just in case" options?

They are just in case options. I’ve already had 3A*s and I don’t think they will accept me even if I’ve got 4A*s. I just feel sooooo heartbroken, I mean, all of my hard work seems to be a joke. People with A*AB even got a place.

I can understand you're disappointed but you have an offer for Economics at Warwick - that would be a dream to many other people.

If you really feel that you would be bitterly disappointed to go to Warwick or Kings, your only other option is to take a year out and reapply next year. You might stand a better chance with achieved grades, especially if you can find out from the unis why they rejected you and work on improving that
Ah ok. Has this got something to do with your personal statement or did you have an interview? If yes, it might be worth trying to get some feedback :smile:

They are just in case options. I’ve already had 3A*s and I don’t think they will accept me even if I’ve got 4A*s. I just feel sooooo heartbroken, I mean, all of my hard work seems to be a joke. People with A*AB even got a place.
Reply 7
I think the best thing for you to do right now is to contact the universities and find out why they rejected you. Your grades are perfect, so that's obviously not why. Maybe your personal statement wasn't convincing enough? Your interview at Cambridge? I can understand being rejected by your top three unis is hard to deal with, but think of it positively; you still have offers from two amazing, globally renowned unis. Also, you could always do your first year at Kings, for eg, and still try to move to UCL and redo the first year, if you really dislike Kings (or Warwick, which I'm sure you won't) after teh first year. Or you could take a gap year and amend the problems in your current application? First, ask for feedback, so you know!
(edited 5 years ago)
Dude, I have been rejected by all 3 and Warwick, after getting accepted by all except Cambridge last year, but then missing my offer and choosing to retake and reapply. Warwick and KCL are both amazing unis with amazing reputations, and you are amazing for getting into them. Give yourself a pat on the back for getting in there, and study hard to get the best grades possible so you can go for UCL adjustment - if you want to. It's not the be all and end all. My mum went to LSE econ and hated it, then did her masters at Manchester and wished she'd gone there for undergrad. Life throws things at you - all you can do is deal with them the best you can, and never stop doing your best:smile:. We've all been there. I hope you go to the uni where you are happiest and have the best future. God bless you.
Reply 9
I had the choice between UCL LSE and Kings ( for law admittedly). Employers wouldn't see that much of a difference between those institutions on paper. Students think their life depends on rankings. Prove yourself at any of those unis and you'll be fine.
(edited 5 years ago)
Apply again next year :hugs: those are amazing grades and it’s understandable why you feel upset! Ask the uni for feedback if they do give it and give it another shot, kcl and ucl are quite different in atmosphere so don’t worrry smash your grades as you will do and apply again :tongue:
Reply 11
Original post by She-Ra
Ah ok. Has this got something to do with your personal statement or did you have an interview? If yes, it might be worth trying to get some feedback :smile:

I’ve emailed them, but I don’t think they will reply to me...
Reply 12
Original post by Anonymous
Apply again next year :hugs: those are amazing grades and it’s understandable why you feel upset! Ask the uni for feedback if they do give it and give it another shot, kcl and ucl are quite different in atmosphere so don’t worrry smash your grades as you will do and apply again :tongue:

Taking a gap year is really unusual and unpopular in my country, and I’ve already been at home for 1.5 years(cuz I’m self teaching alevels). I think I’m gonna under enormous pressure from my families.

You can't get A* for AS levels - can you explain what you mean?
Reply 14
Original post by Muttley79
You can't get A* for AS levels - can you explain what you mean?

I set all exams for AS and A2.
Reply 15

Jheez KCL and Warwick, what terrible universities! (Hear the sarcasm). Chin up OP, count yourself lucky you have food on the table, a roof over your head and a wonderful education ahead.
I set all exams for AS and A2.

So you have A*A*A* at A level already? It is probably your PS then - you have two other good offers so go with one of them. UCL is not everyone's cup of tea.

Hi, I can definitely understand why you’d be upset if ucl was your dream university, but the difference in standard between Warwick/ucl/Lse is practically non-existent. They’re all targets! One of my friends (predicted A*A*AA) got rejected by Warwick economics but just got into Lse economics, and another friend of mine (predicted A*A*A*) got into UCL economics but got rejected by Warwick economics.

What I’m saying is application success/failure has a little bit of luck too, it depends on the kind of qualities that each top uni wants. Don’t doubt how great you are

I’m actually choosing Warwick over ucl and Lse too (mostly because of accomodation costs and wanting to leave London) (and if it helps, I’m predicted four A*s too)

I’m confident you’ll enjoy Warwick, one of the best for econ in the uk. I really recommend considering it, it’s clearly hard to get into, but it depends on if you like the idea of a campus uni!
(edited 5 years ago)
I’ve emailed them, but I don’t think they will reply to me...

Hey have they replied? I was also rejected by UCL a few days ago for chemistry and when I emailed asking why surprisingly they responded quite fast. However, the feedback was super vague. They just said my application was good, but there were better ones.
If your heart is absolutely set on going to UCL, you could always work as hard as you already seem to be, then reapply for the 2019-20 academic year with confirmed grades!

You could take this year out with hot fire grades to make your PS look amazing with extra-curricular stuff. Especially if once you get feedback from UCL, it is your PS which was the deciding factor to not offer you a place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending