The Student Room Group

Any sports graduates found themselves stuck debating wether to go into teaching?

I finished my undergraduate in sport and exercise science 2 years ago, my long term goal was always to go into teaching P.E. After graduating, I worked as a teaching assistant in a secondary school for a year, now I'm working as a sports coordinator in a primary school full time, I love this job but with a salary of 16k a year it's not something I plan on keeping long term. I'm just so stuck on where I want to go next and it's starting to get me down, I think I've made my mind up then change again the next day. My main 2 ideas at the moment are, apply to do a Secondary P.E PGCE and become a secondary school P.E teacher, or, the school I currently work at is a teaching school, on most occasions students are offered jobs to start while they're still completing their PGCE, but I just can't see myself teaching the wife range of subjects in a primary school, and the amount of pressure that all the teachers seem under seems too much for me. Has anybody else been stuck in the mud like this or currently is, can anyone think of any alternate careers I could look at going into, something else that's interested me is community sports development which seems to be quite a big thing within football clubs lately.
You can go into coaching if you are interested or good at a particular sport. For example, I'm a fencer and in our club we have a young coach who was working as an assistant coach while he was in uni and he just carried on with coaching after graduating (he has a degree in sport science just like you). He has been a fencer since he was a kid and he absolutely adores the sport and his job.

You can also work at sport or youth camps or even language summer schools for teenagers during summer months as they tend to work with uni students and young teachers. Most of them usually prefer sport graduates and/or teachers as far as I know when it comes down to hiring activity/excursion leaders. But of course this is more like a temporary summer job rather than a long term thing.
Know exactly how you feel, I thought I wanted to teach pe, but got put off while at university. I went into youth work after university but jobs are hard to come by and theirs not much salary or progression in youth work. Where I work is closing next year, finding another youth work job is going to be difficult. I decided to go into teaching and got interview for a school direct program at a local school the following week. It’s hard to find jobs in sport with a good salary and full time
A lot of private schools offer a sports graduate role, I have done it and I have enjoyed it so so much and doing my PE PGCE next year. Have a look on TES, there are still some around.
Reply 4
Struggling to find anything to do with this on tes mate could you send me a link please?
Original post by dingbat93
A lot of private schools offer a sports graduate role, I have done it and I have enjoyed it so so much and doing my PE PGCE next year. Have a look on TES, there are still some around.
Original post by Dixxy095123
Struggling to find anything to do with this on tes mate could you send me a link please?

Sorry for long reply. But look here. There are a few Sports Graduate roles on there as I write this

https://www.tes.com/jobs/search?page_variant=v2&sort=&locations=United%20Kingdom&workplaces=Independent%20senior&workplaces=Independent%20preparatory&subjects=Physical%20Education&keywords=&currentpage=1
(edited 5 years ago)
Sorry for double post, but here is an example of one that has just come up https://www.tes.com/jobs/vacancy/graduate-sports-fellow-rutland-1197211
Original post by Dixxy095123

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending