The Student Room Group

PGCE Academic Fail

I have had a meeting with my tutors as I have failed one of the modules in my PGCE, does anyone know whether I can still get QTS as I have passed both my placements and hopefully will pass the final one? Thank you
QTS is separate so technically, yes. However, being awarded 'recommendation for QTS' after failing your PGCE academically would be difficult. You should consult your PGCE course handbook and contact your course leader regarding this as it will differ from institution. For example, if you fail some will offer a different qualification and some will offer nothing.

To gain QTS you will need to complete your NQT year and to do this, be a successful applicant to a teaching job. You would struggle to be successful if you have failed your PGCE. Can you explore avenues of resubmitting the assignment?
Original post by mrsf2019
I have had a meeting with my tutors as I have failed one of the modules in my PGCE, does anyone know whether I can still get QTS as I have passed both my placements and hopefully will pass the final one? Thank you

The QTS and the PGCE are separate- but some unis will not allow you to be recommended for QTS if you haven't passed the PGCE.

I agree finding a job may be harder if you have failed your PGCE, but it's unlikely to be impossible, especially if you're in a shortage subject. After all, there are plenty of training routes that don't give you the PGCE at all.

I do think your tutors should have talked this through with you. It might be worth emailing them with your questions?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending