The Student Room Group

Future Teaching Scholars

Has anyone had any experience with the Future Teaching Scholars programme? I’m interested in doing it but I can’t find much information about it online.
Do you still have to get student loans for the degree? Are the conferences etc. much help? Is it very competitive?
Original post by Dancer2001
Has anyone had any experience with the Future Teaching Scholars programme? I’m interested in doing it but I can’t find much information about it online.
Do you still have to get student loans for the degree? Are the conferences etc. much help? Is it very competitive?

I haven't done the program, but I'm a trainee biology teacher and know quite a few biology trainees.

Personally, I wouldn't go for this- although £15k while you study your degree sounds good, it sounds like you are then tied into their teacher training program. It sounds like this program doesn't offer the PGCE, which might be a problem if you later decided you wanted to teach outside of England.

It doesn't sound like they cover your fees at undergrad, so it's very likely you'd still need loans to cover your fees as £15k would not be enough.

It also sounds like their training days are compulsory, which might be annoying if they clash with other things- and during your teacher training, you may want to just give them a miss.

Personally, I think having the chance to choose your ITT route is really important. There will still be salaried routes available when you graduate, or you can get an IoP scholarship while you do a PGCE or Schools Direct course, of £28k- and they also offer conferences and additional support.

If you're very interested, I would contact the company with your questions and maybe ask to be put in touch with someone who has been through the route. I would also ask the following questions:

-What happens with the bursary if I decide I don't want to teach/don't want to do my ITT straight after uni?
-What happens if I drop out at any stage?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending