The Student Room Group

Consistency, Growth , Self Belief - Gaining muscle and then getting lean

Consistency - going to the gym for 60 minutes every other day is better than 1 8hour workout a week. Sorry Rich Piana

Growth - Making mistakes is the best thing. It means you have a lot of space left for improvement. I’ve failed a lot and that’s great because I’ve also learned a tonne.

Self belief - Believe that you deserve the best, never settle for less. You can do it it’s just a matter of if not when.

Goals as of 05/09/19

Goals:

Goals are important so I can push myself more with my training, diet and sleep and have a purpose with my training

by October -
Deadlift 140kg for 1x5
Squat 105kg for 1x5

(will set new squat and deadlift goals once I smash this and depending how trainings going).

November
bench Press 100kg for 1x5
Might not happen but need a target for OHP 60kg for however many reps I can.

Long term goals:
1.)Train at local powerlifting gym once a week (probably deadlift + front squat day)
2.) Take part in my university powerlifting club mock meet
3.) Take part in British Uni Champs
4.) Hopefully get selected for worlds team
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

21/04/19:

Today is Push 2 -
I will be lifting

OHP 37.5kg for 5x5
Bench Press 60kg for 3x10
Incline dumbbell press 20kg for 3x10
Tricep push down 16.3kg for 3x12 superset with lateral raises 4kg for 3x15.
4kg weighted dips 3x10 SS with lateral raises for 3x12

Will update this post with diet later
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
Today is Push 2 -
I will be lifting

OHP 37.5kg for 5x5
Bench Press 60kg for 3x10
Incline dumbbell press 20kg for 3x10
Tricep push down 16.3kg for 3x12 superset with lateral raises 4kg for 3x15.
4kg weighted dips 3x10 SS with lateral raises for 3x12

Will update this post with diet later

21/04/19:

Alright today was weird.

I had 1 fail... which was the Overhead Press. I got 4x5 and then 1x4 at 37.5kg. Going to have to do this weight again next week. But still a PR because this was my max for3x5 when I was 10kg heavier. So I am stronger at OHP than the fatter version of me

Got the bench Press 60kg for 3x10, and incline dumbbell Press 20kg dor 3x10. Both involved grinding the last rep but I’m confident to progress.

Now the rest of my workout was good. I managed to do 18kg on the tricep push downs for 3x8 easily. Also set a PR on lateral raises doing 3x15 at 4kg.

3x8 on 4kg weighted dips was too easy so I skipped ahead and did 3x12💪💪
(edited 5 years ago)
Calories and macros for today:

Calories - 1916
Carbohydrates - 164g
Protein - 122g
Fat - 81g

(Haven't got any specific macro targets in mind just making sure I get atleast 0.7g protein per lb of bodyweight and letting the carbs/fats fall into place)
22/04/18:

Leg workout today done. Mainly physio rehab.

Today I’ve had to come to the decision to start cutting down my weight again. Hoping that the high protein and smaller deficit and sleep is enough to at least allow me to progress on the main compound movements.

Just 2 more months and then I can lean bulk
(edited 4 years ago)
24/05/19

Today was a great lifting session, I am super optimistic for the future because everything’s falling into place.

Deadlift - 1x5, 120kg. (+5kg progress from last week)

Good to see. Today taught me a lot about my deadlift. The mental game really helps. Last rep was a grind but it was good grind and I should be good to add 125kg for next week (if I get access to a big gym on my holiday abroad 😅).

Was really happy with the deadlift today. I started stretching my lower body every other day 3 weeks ago and holy **** today the set up felt so so so much better. Hamstring stretches are paying off in a months time I’ll be able to touch my toes.

Also with the deadlifts today I followed a proper warmup. Usually I do 60kg 2x5 as a warmup but I started with 40kg for 2x5. Warming up with that low weight really helped me practice ‘pulling the slack out of the bar’.

Pull ups:

Got kinda bored getting stuck at 3x9. So decided to start weighted now so I got some progression on pull ups. 2kg for 3x5 was easy. 4kg pull ups on my next pull day.

Cable rows were good but I did have to cheat a few reps so guess I’m gonna hit this weight again as I think I just about missed the last rep of 47.3kg for 3x12.

Barbell curls 25kg at 4x8. Curls are going great. And I seriously need to calm down the progression on them been adding reps/weight each session arms are going to be big in no time. Although I do feel like I am close to stalling territory on these so progressions gonna slow down especially as I am on a caloric deficit.

Face pulls we’re good. This programmes giving me a tonne of shoulder volume.

In 2months my weight loss journey will be over and I reckon I am going to be proud of myself. This time a few months ago I was unhappy,prettt much hated myself and had a lot of self doubt and was just toxic. Now im feeling way better and I am excited for what the future holds.

This blog has no watchers but I am my biggest fan anyway
(edited 4 years ago)
Like the thread; following a similar push pull leg programme, more volume based;

weight 65kg

bench 65kg 5x5
bent over row 80kg 5x5
pull up bodyweight+20kg 5x5
tricep dip body weight+25kg 5x5
standing overhead press 42.5kg 5x5
squat 72.5 5x5
deadlift 95kg 5x5

I neglected legs for a little while, hence the low stats lol. Road to 70kg and then a little mini cut.
Original post by YouCantSeeMe
Like the thread; following a similar push pull leg programme, more volume based;

weight 65kg

bench 65kg 5x5
bent over row 80kg 5x5
pull up bodyweight+20kg 5x5
tricep dip body weight+25kg 5x5
standing overhead press 42.5kg 5x5
squat 72.5 5x5
deadlift 95kg 5x5

I neglected legs for a little while, hence the low stats lol. Road to 70kg and then a little mini cut.

Wow you have got an impressive Barbell Row, and Pull ups and tricep dips. With those stats I am surprised at your bench. I think you could do more, maybe technique improvements will help

I’m the opposite have a higher bench but bent over row is lower (which is the norm because you don’t have the chest support with bent over row). My bench is 75kg for 5x5 compared to my Row which is 60kg for 5x5.

Congrats on the progress and keep it up.
I actually spent a 2 years lifting starting from a skinny 56kg. Then was swiftly injured for 3 years after a had sciatic pain. So stopped doing legs. All i did for 2/3 years were calisthenics. Had surgery last august and started lifting again in Jan starting at 61kg. Road to recovery was hard but I practice 20min of lower body stretching before every session.
Possibly! Strength wise I have always been on the weaker end, my core shines significantly well, mainly due to the calisthenics i did.

You 2! I'll watch the thread and perhaps drop in some stats after exams!
Original post by SuperHuman98
Wow you have got an impressive Barbell Row, and Pull ups and tricep dips. With those stats I am surprised at your bench. I think you could do more, maybe technique improvements will help

I’m the opposite have a higher bench but bent over row is lower (which is the norm because you don’t have the chest support with bent over row). My bench is 75kg for 5x5 compared to my Row which is 60kg for 5x5.

Congrats on the progress and keep it up.
I actually spent a 2 years lifting starting from a skinny 56kg. Then was swiftly injured for 3 years after a had sciatic pain. So stopped doing legs. All i did for 2/3 years were calisthenics. Had surgery last august and started lifting again in Jan starting at 61kg. Road to recovery was hard but I practice 20min of lower body stretching before every session.
Possibly! Strength wise I have always been on the weaker end, my core shines significantly well, mainly due to the calisthenics i did.

You 2! I'll watch the thread and perhaps drop in some stats after exams!

Thanks for the watch!

I get the whole injury thing. I’ve had to stop squatting because I have patellar tendinitis. Had the problem for a few years still did heavy squats now decided to sort it out so I can start running again without pain afterwards and the week after.

So my leg days pretty much my physiotherapy stuff but that includes glute bridges which I can progress every other day (Not at weighted yet), and lunges and stretching every other day.
@YouCantSeeMe

25/04/19:

Ah today...

For the bench press I accidentally did 77.5kg when I was actually supposed to do 75kg. Also I have no idea if I failed the 5x5 or not because I had spotters. One of them had their hand on the bar the whole time and I feel like some people. don’t even know what spotting is:angry:. So I am going to play it on the safe side and do 75kg next week. Still annoyed that I put 77.5k by accident. 1 extra week added to my goal of benching 100kg for 5x5.

Overhead Press 25kg for 3x8 was easy.

Incline dumbbell press for 3x12 was tough but I got it and so I will be progressing onto 22kg on Sunday.

Tricep push down for 19.3kg by 10 was good.

And tricep dips weighted 6kg for 3x8 were also good.

Lateral raises were good.

Still at a massive plateau when it comes to my weight loss though
(edited 4 years ago)
lol no need to tag me. Im always watching- "YouCantSeeMe" :wink:.
Ive accidentally done heavier before, but sometimes you manage to push it because you dont have to do the mental battle! Wrong spotters are the worst, I always prefer training alone.
Remember that consistency isnt always an upward lines, its a jagged line with dips and crosses, ups and downs. Adapt. Conquer.
Well done on another sess.- i'll refrain from always commenting unless necessary, as i want to see this as a linear blog. However, weight loss is always tricky as our body tends to adapt quickly. Try this, bump your calories up my 250cal and substitute it 20 min of fasted HIIT every morning. Fast for the first 3-5 hours every day on just water. It will boost your metabolism and you'll still lose weight. Good luck.
lol no need to tag me. Im always watching- "YouCantSeeMe" :wink:.
Ive accidentally done heavier before, but sometimes you manage to push it because you dont have to do the mental battle! Wrong spotters are the worst, I always prefer training alone.
Remember that consistency isnt always an upward lines, its a jagged line with dips and crosses, ups and downs. Adapt. Conquer.
Well done on another sess.- i'll refrain from always commenting unless necessary, as i want to see this as a linear blog. However, weight loss is always tricky as our body tends to adapt quickly. Try this, bump your calories up my 250cal and substitute it 20 min of fasted HIIT every morning. Fast for the first 3-5 hours every day on just water. It will boost your metabolism and you'll still lose weight. Good luck.

I’ve done Intermittent fasting before and it’s awesome but mainly as it makes getting a deficit so easy. I think I’m gonna do it often next week as I’m gonna be abroad.

I’ll consider doing what you said
So I’m abroad and the gym I have access to for free isn’t that great, and quite limited. So probably won’t be posting any workouts this week unless I buy a day pass at a proper gym.

I’ve also decided to make a change to this programme. 1x5 for deadlifts is too little so I’m going to be increasing it to 5x5 or 3x5
Haven’t gone gym this past week because of a holiday and it’s feeling like I haven’t gone in a year. Never missed a week of gym this past year.

Gonna workout day I land Sunday, jet lag shouldn’t be a problem. Deadlift PR incoming
05/05/19

125kg deadlift fail could only get 1 rep :/
Weighted pull ups 4kg 3x5
Cable rows 47kg for 3x10
Barbell Curls 25kg for 4x10
Hammer curls 12kg for 1x12, 2x8

Not the best workout. Not very optimistic for the next few months as I’m still going to be eating at a caloric deficit.

Hopefully I make great fat loss gains
(edited 4 years ago)
07/05/19 - 1am Push 1 day

Bench Press - 75kg. 5x5 done :smile:
OHP - managed to get the 3x12 on 25kg
Incline DB Press - 22kg but could only get 3x6
Tricep Push down - 19.3kg for 3x10
Weighted dips - 6kg for 3x8
Lateral raises - 2kg for 3x17
(edited 4 years ago)
Due to circumstances out of my control I can’t go gym till Monday.

In the meantime I’ve been making weight loss progress.i now weigh 68.2kg (less water than usual)
Felt like **** today so I managed to get some time to go to the gym. Had to cut my Pull day short tho.

Managed to get a rows PR and happy with how the pull ups are going. Curls weren’t as good but I can’t complain because I’m still cutting weight and I stopped taking creatine

Bent over Rows 5x5 60kg
Weighted pull ups 6kg 3x5
Barbell curls 25kg for 3x10, 1x7

This is my diet plan for the next year. 500-1000 deficit cut for the next month. Then eat maintiance until lifts stall. Then lean bulk for 6-8months at a 200 surplus.

Currently weighing 68.1kg really hoping I can get down to 65kg and be happy with my bf% before I can commit to a bulk
11/05/19

Workout for today. Working out this morning fasted.

Overhead Press 5x5 - 37.5kg
Bench Press 3x8 - 55kg (Deload)
Incline Dumbbell Press - 22kg for 3x8
Tricep push downs - 19kg for 3x10 Superset with Lateral raises 4kg
Weighted dips 8kg. Superset with Lateral raises.

Strength levels are pretty much the same levels as when I was 79kg :smile:.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest