The Student Room Group

Consistency, Growth , Self Belief - Gaining muscle and then getting lean

Scroll to see replies

Weekly inspiration/motivation post:

The Compound Effect.

In addition, to the gym I have also been pursuing a lot of other positive habits, in my life. One of which is reading at-least 10 pages of a book before bed. This has made getting to sleep surprisingly easy. Ive also read a great book called the Compound Effect which is an awesome book.

It really drills into you the idea that you can achieve anything you want its just going to take a LONG time, and will require consistent positive choices. If you make the right choices everyday, in the long run you are setting yourself up for major success.

It's really helped me appreciate the idea of consistently limiting how much sugar and fast food I eat. Going to the gym nearly everyday. Stretching everyday. Limiting my calories everyday. On a day by day basis they seem like small choices. But if you do them consistently, then in the long run you are setting yourself up for success.

I have lost 25lbs/11kg so far. Throughout most of my fat-loss journey I have motivated myself by telling myself that 'its not a matter of if its just a matter of when'. I remember being 79kg and thinking that going down to 69kg would be impossible feels like it was yesterday.
Watching :wtf:
Cheers!

:rave:
Let’s gooo
Taking a break from lifting until I get back to university on Monday. **** sleep, less water, a busy gym and only having 1 meal because I have to fast are just making my workouts depressing atm.

Lost 1kg this week, but my mind is full of self-doubt. Was it even fat loss, or am I just losing water or am I losing muscle etc.. This is going to be a tough next month but I sure as hell am going to get through it. I will get my body fat down to 10-15%, so I am lean enough to start a long bulk. I will fight to get the body I want no matter what
Weight loss progress this week

https://imgur.com/a/G2ZlAbS
Original post by SuperHuman98
Weight loss progress this week

https://imgur.com/a/G2ZlAbS

Good job, but is it a good idea to weigh yourself every day?
Original post by NotNotBatman
Good job, but is it a good idea to weigh yourself every day?

It’s fine aslong as you weigh yourself roughly the same time under same circumstances e.g. empty stomach especially since an app such as that one calculates weekly loss.

But mentally it can be very bad. And yeah I think I’m abit obsessive. Good news is that I won’t pack my weighing scale with when I go back to uni tomorrow and so won’t be weighing myself every few hours.

Gonna have to use DRSV scale instead 🙃
Managed to get a gym sesh in today. Back and biceps

Bent over rows 60kg 4x4
Pull ups 3x8
Barbell curls 3x5 25kg

Physio work
Good news guys.

I am going to stop losing weight now and I am going to focus on a slow bulk. Aiming for 1lb weight gain a week as the maximum amount of muscle the human body can build in a week under perfect conditions is 0.5lbs. Using lbs because I have been spending too much time on Reddit the last few months.

I am in catered accommodation so I am not expecting myself to be spot on with how many calories I aim to get but I have a relative idea of what I will be eating to get a small caloric surplus.

A simple equation to calculate my TDEE is my weight in lbs which is 147lbs=67kg. 148*15= 2205. Which is roughly my maintaining level of calories when lifting is included. So I am going to aim for 2300-2400calories, and aim for 2400 when I am at home and can count my calories. I will keep running 2400 until my lifts stop progressing or I stop gaining weight.

I am looking forward to training for the next few months. My goal is to gain muscle slowly and minimise fat gain. Then focus on losing weight just before 2nd year of uni starts :smile: (if I feel fat).
(edited 4 years ago)
Workout for 22/05/19:

Starting off fresh when it comes to deadlifts, but I will be increasing volume to 3x5. Tomorrow I will also likely be working out first thing in the morning before breakfast so I can revise the rest of the day, so I am hoping a pre workout of milk,digestives, and raspberries will be enough :smile:.

Deadlifts - 110kg for 3x5.
Pull ups 2.5kg - for 3x8
Seated cable rows - (not sure what increments my uni gym goes in so will update this later should be around 47kg).
Barbell bicep curls - 25kg for 4x8
Hammer Curls - 12kg for 4x8
Face Pulls

Key to muscle growth is progressive overload. Accessories will be progressing by 2 reps twice a week if recover goes well until I reach 12reps, then I go to the next weight. Deadlift the goal is to add 5kg each week.
23/05/19:

Losing weight really kills my strength so today even with a deload the bench was surprisingly tough, but since I am bulking things should be going back up now.

Bench Press 70kg 5x5 failed.
Overhead Press 25kg 1x8 ,2x6 :frown:
Incline Dumbbell Press 20kg 3x8
Tricep Push down using rope handle - 15kg 3x8 :smile:
Weighted Dips 3x8 for 5kg :smile:
Dumbell Lateral raises
25/05/19:

Bent Over Row 52.5kg for 5x5
Pull ups weighted 2.5kg for 3x6
Glute bridges (part of my physiotherapy) 30kg for 3x10
Cable rows 47kg for 3x10
Barbell Curls 25kg for 4x10
Hammer culrs 10kg for 4x10
Stretching (part of my physiotherapy)

Overall a good day! I find that I am going abit overboard with my calories. Scheduled to weigh myself on Sunday to see what the bulk progress is like. Proud of myself for being able to manage gym with revision.

Today was good. Feel like my form on the Bent Over Rows isn't that great though really need someone to teach me. Barbell curls were tough af but I managed to push though. Squeezing core and glutes as much as possible really helps.
Mistake in my post #33 but TSR isn't letting me edit lol, my fitnessblogs are always glitching.

Meant to be OHP 30kg
26/05/19

Weighed myself today, and it says I have gained 1.5kg this week from bulking. Taking it with a pinch of salt and going to continue my calorie target. As I weighed myself after eating compared to last week which was an empty stomach, and I also likely gained a bit of initial water weight from the bulk.

Anyhow today was a great workout, and I am really seeing improvements in my form. Really feeling motivated and fighting against self doubt in all aspects of my life.

Push 2:
Overhead Press 32.5kg deload 5x5
Bench Press 52.5kg 3x8
Incline Dumbbell Press 20kg 3x8
Tricep Push down 15kg 3x8
Weighted Dips 5kg for 3x12
Lateral raises 4k for 3x8

Thinking of making some changes to my programming. Including light arm work on leg/physio day just to increase the frequency and I'm sure I can recover. Thinking of switching Dumbbell lateral raises to cable variation.

I also need proper headphones instead of these cheap crappy wireless ones that run out of battery quickly.

Physio day tomorrow, and then I am going to start recording my lifts on google sheets so I can come out with some cool graphs in a few months
(edited 4 years ago)
29/05/19:

Good workout today! Had to really push through and beat the mental game when it came to deadlifts, as last week I had failed 3x5 but got it today :smile:. Also spent over 2 hours in the gym.

Deadlifts 110kg 3x5 :smile:

Pull ups weighted 2.5kg 3x8 :smile:

Rows I don't know why but I used different cables and 48kg was impossible to move. So had to do around 40kg for 3x5. Weird..

Bicep curls 25kg - 1x12, 1x8, 1x8, 1x10. Was meant to be 4x12, but I still increased reps so guess that's good

Couldn't find the 10kg dumbells for hammer curl so did 27.5kg on bicep curl machine, was fun.

Physiotherapy:
1.)Done my lower body stretches.
2.) 30kg for 3x12 on glute bridges
3.)5kg weighted (bosu balance squats) and gym ball against wall squats 5kg. Did this as a circuit as I was low on time
30/05/19

Worked out this morning :smile:. Abit annoyed at how difficult the Bench Press was this morning, as I have been stuck at 70-77.5kg for the past year.

Bench Press 5x5 70kg
Overhead Press 3x8 25kg
Tricep Rope Pushdowns 3x10 15kg Superset with lateral raises 3x20 2kg
Weighted dips 5kg for 3x12 :smile:
31/05/19
Leg/Physio day

Romanian Deadlifts 3x10 for 60kg
Glute Bridges 3x12 for 32.5kg
Circuit - 8kg squats with gym ball on my back 3x10, 8kg squats on bosu 3x10 and hanging knee raises 3x4
01/06/19:

Today's workout was amazing. I really pushed myself, and hit some PR's. I have some major chips on my shoulder from life and thinking about those when I struggle on a set really helps. Were all gonna make it some day.

Barbell Rows 57.5kg 4x5,1x7 (AMRAP)
Bicep curls 25kg 4x12 :smile:
Weighted Pull ups with 2.5kg 3x8
Cable rows 47.3kg 3x12
Hammer Curls 10kg for 3x8

Bulking on catered accommodation is also surprisingly easy
02/06/19

Overhead Press.. 40kg 1x2, 37.5kg 4x4 pretty much a fail because I tried pushing myself too much by trying 40kg to break out of this plateau
Bench Press 52.5kg 3x10 :smile:
Incline dumbbell Press 3x5 20kg :frown:
Weighted dips 6.25kg for 3x8 SUPERSET with lateral raises 2kg for 3x18
Tricep push downs 15kg 3x9
Cable lateral raises 2.5kg for 3x8

Quick Reply

Latest