The Student Room Group

Consistency, Growth , Self Belief - Gaining muscle and then getting lean

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SuperHuman98
Thanks :smile:, im just going to add it to my PPL for the first cycle or 2 until I get my squat back to normal levels.

Yep thats the article that finally helped me understand 5/3/1

Then I believe he answers your question in the section called ‘assistance work’ and ‘rookie mistakes to avoid’ section.

It’s not my preferred way to train but as I said lots of people rate it. If you are going to train with the reduced volume and limited isolation approach in the name of strength progression, then for the limited number of assistance sets you do you had better be giving it hell. By this I don’t mean go crazy heavy form breakdown to force some weight, I mean strike the balance with challenging weight used but really being ‘in’ the movement and feeling the reps.

If you don’t, you may find yourself repeating your reflections on wishing you’d progressed more but from a physique standpoint in the future, I did.
Original post by Gone Revising II
Then I believe he answers your question in the section called ‘assistance work’ and ‘rookie mistakes to avoid’ section.

It’s not my preferred way to train but as I said lots of people rate it. If you are going to train with the reduced volume and limited isolation approach in the name of strength progression, then for the limited number of assistance sets you do you had better be giving it hell. By this I don’t mean go crazy heavy form breakdown to force some weight, I mean strike the balance with challenging weight used but really being ‘in’ the movement and feeling the reps.

If you don’t, you may find yourself repeating your reflections on wishing you’d progressed more but from a physique standpoint in the future, I did.

Hmm I have till Monday to decide what I wanna do. There’s the 5/3/1 nSuns variant which is supposed to be super high volume.

Any other ways to progress? Or is 5/3/1 my best bet? I’m worried that it might be too intermediate
The problem with your question is that 531 is too broad a program with too many options to be your "best bet".

You can make good progress on 531 but you have to program it intelligently yourself, especially if you want to integrate it into PPL.

For your goals 531 BBB is the "off the shelf" 531 variant, to be honest.

Personally when I ran it last time I just thought the weights and reps for the main lifts were too light and easy for me to progress. In contrast I made decent progress on the Texas method, from memory.

That said, I probably wasn't patient enough - hence why I suggested you try it for several cycles to give it a proper chance. Wendler had coached some very strong people so it clearly works.
(edited 4 years ago)
Leg day today:

Before going to the gym, I went to the park and tried to do a bit of running. I ran like 3 meters and my left knee was painful due to the impact (I ran on mud which I assume has less impact than concrete).

Afterwards I felt quite down,disappointed and defeated. As I’ve been struggling with patellar tendinitis for years now.

Then an hour later a light bulb in my mind lit up! It was only my left knee that hurt me so that means I’ve made great progress on my right knee. Also I don’t get pain when I sit down for long periods e.g. plane journey or an exam. So that means I have made great progress, and I can beat this injury and get better.

So I made sure that I went to the gym this morning to do my stretches and strengthening exercises.

I did squats. I worked up to 60kg it overall it felt good. A tiny bit of discomfort when I went past parallel but the ascent part of the movement felt awesome. I feel like the discomfort I felt is the same thing I would have felt if I just stuck to 35kg anyway.

Foam rolling
Wall sits 5x45secs
2x5 squats just bar, 2x5 40kg, 1x5 50kg and 2x5 60kg
Bodyweight glute bridges 3x8
Hip thrusts 45kg for 3x6 (set up for this is really annoying)
Squats with ball on back against wall (feels so good literally no pain)
Stretching

I’m going to increase how much quad stretching I do in a day now. It helps so much
Found this post on Reddit, by the author of my current programme. Combines Reddit PPL with 5/3/1 Boring but Big

Push 1: bench 5/3/1, 5x10 of a bench accessory work (like boring but big template, 50-70% of your training max) at 50-70% of your training max then the rest of the bench push accessory work as normal

Pull 1: deadlift 5/3/1, 5x10 of a deadlift accessory, then the rest of the pull day as normal

Legs 1: squat 5/3/1, 5x10 of a squat accessory, then the rest of the leg day.

Push 2: OHP 5/3/1, 5x10 of an OHP accessory, then the rest of the push day.

Pull 2: 5x5 heavy barbell rows, then 5x10 another rowing variation, then the rest of the pull day as normal

Legs 2: front squat 5/3/1, 5x10 front squat accessory, then the rest of the leg day.

Definitely going to consider this but I will probably have to just change Legs 2 somehow. Maybe just do some phyio work for me as I can't really do front squats
Found this post on Reddit, by the author of my current programme. Combines Reddit PPL with 5/3/1 Boring but Big

Definitely going to consider this but I will probably have to just change Legs 2 somehow. Maybe just do some phyio work for me as I can't really do front squats

What about goblet squats, or walking lunges?
What about goblet squats, or walking lunges?

Yeah I guess I can put in walking lunges. Im going to be doing walking lunges for my squat accessory movement though. Or I could do Hip Thrusts as squat accessory or 5/3/1. Still got a few days to decide.
Yeah I guess I can put in walking lunges. Im going to be doing walking lunges for my squat accessory movement though. Or I could do Hip Thrusts as squat accessory or 5/3/1. Still got a few days to decide.

Sorry man, I thought it was for a squat accessory and you wanted one with a quad focus. I’ve read it properly now.

Edit; lowish foot position leg press? Does your gym have a hack squat? Or smith with feet way out in front.
(edited 4 years ago)
Sorry man, I thought it was for a squat accessory and you wanted one with a quad focus. I’ve read it properly now.

Edit; lowish foot position leg press? Does your gym have a hack squat? Or smith with feet way out in front.

Think we have a hack squat machine I’ll consider using that. Later in the week I’m gonna research and finalise what programme I want to do.
Push day 2:

Bad workout :/

Barbell row 60kg 3x5 just didn’t feel right today and and I tried to experiment with form. Think I do it best straight off the rack rather than deadlifting it up. Also tried pendlay style not really a fan my form breaks down easily that way

Pull ups 5x7 failed by 1 rep

Cable rows 59kg 3x12 but... for some reason I discovered that 1 of the cable platforms is way way easier than the other and this was on the easier one.

Just wasn’t in the right mindset today so finished off with 3x8 12kg hammer curls. Did some lower body stretching then went home.

Knee feels good despite squats yesterday. Tendon only hurts of left leg and I only feel pain when I touch it or if I try to do a single leg squat
Gym/life lessons learned June:

Heavier isn’t always better. Need to be careful and not force progression as the risk of injury is not worth feeding my ego.

Being consistent with high volume and frequency is key.

Fear of failure is a *****

Still got a long way to go in terms of technique.

Keep pushing through even when you feel like giving up.

Action comes before inspiration

For July I need to focus on getting calories from higher quality food and 5/3/1 progression. I probably will need to increase calories by another 100 very soon.
2 more days left on this programme

Average weight gain is 0.5kg per week atm, so I am going to keep eating at 2500 calories and see what happens next week :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Push days seem to be really awesome these days compared to Pull

OHP 40kg - 2x4, 3x3. Reallly felt like my form improved

Bench press 60kg 3x8. Easy and made a friend

Incline Dumbells 18kg 3x12. Perfect

Tricep push downs rope 10.5kg. Went down in weight to focus on the squeeze 3x8

Super set with lateral raises

Weighted dips 10kg 3x8
Leg day 2:

Honestly I don’t really know if I should be doing squats or not. I did 60kg and 70kg today. Knees feel fine during the movement but I’m getting pain on my hip flexors. Also my knees hurt when I touch them so they do feel inflamed still.

I recorded my form so I am gonna see if this hip flexor pain is caused by technique issues. I have had this issue for a while and it’s especially on one side

Both hip flexor pain and my patellar tendinopathy are potentially caused by weak glutes.

But I just feel so lost in general. Atm. I’m probably gonna have to pay some ££ and go to a local physio.

Warmed up with ball against wall squats and 5mins on stationary bike no resistance

Squats 60kg 3x5
70kg 1x5

Hip thrusts 40kg 3x8

Knee raises 3x8
(edited 4 years ago)
I have decided that I am going to follow 5/3/1 Boring But Big, tbh need a break from high volume 6days a week anyway. Looking forward to the 5x10 sets

Day One

Overhead Press 5/3/1
Dumbell flat Bench Press 5 sets of 10 reps 14kg (this weight should be fine)
Lat Pull downs 5 sets of 10 reps or I could do 2x10 pull ups and then 3x10 pull downs. It just says lat work on the programme

Day Two

Deadlift 5/3/1
lunges 5 sets of 10 reps
hanging leg/knee raises 5 sets

Day Three

Bench Press 5/3/1
Overhead Press 5 sets of 10 reps
Lat Pull downs 5 sets of 10 reps

Day Four

Squat 5/3/1
Deadlift 5 sets of 10 reps (50% so 60kg)
Abs 5 sets

Hmm okay hopefully I can get away with squatting provided I do well with my physio. So lunges 5x10 counts as physio. Ill keep the deadlifts as they hit glutes/hams and thats what I need for physio anyway. I am going to throw in glute bridges on rest days/upper body days. Then the rest of my physio is step ups/jumping/stretching so that shouldn't impact my workout.

Looking forward to Boring but Big.
Overhead Press day:

OHP:
1x5 - 25kg
1x5 - 30kg
1x8 - 35kg

Flat dumbbell press
1x10 - 12kg
1x10 - 12kg
1x10 - 12kg
1x10 - 12kg
1x10 - 14kg

Lat work -
1x10 pull ups
1x10 45kg Pull down
1x10 45kg pull down
1x10 45kg pull down
1x10 45kg pull down

Dumbbell press was easy will bump it up to 14kg for 5x10 next week and see how that goes. I could also experiment with ascending/descending order

Stretching and physio
(edited 4 years ago)
Deadlift day:

Deadlift 5/3/1
1x5 77.5kg (Double overhand)
1x5 90kg (DOH)
1x7 102.5kg (mixed grip)

All with liquid chalk. Not sure if I applied enough.

In terms of technique I got my hips slightly lower which is what I needed. I need more practice on pulling the slack out of the bar tho. 5x10 deadlifts in a few days should be good practice.

Squats:
1x10 40kg
1x10 40kg
1x10 40kg
1x10 40kg
1x10 40kg

Knees feel fine. Abit of discomfort but it’s the good type that makes the tendons stronger (I hope). Stretching at the end and also warming up with squats (gym ball against wall) and wall sits helps a tonne

Abs:
1x8 supported leg raises
1x8 supported leg raises
1x8 supported leg raises
1x8 hanging knee raises
1x8 supported knee raises

Finished off with stretching
(edited 4 years ago)
Just found out that I can add 25-50 reps of push, 25-50 reps of pull movements and 0-50 single leg/core each day.

So will be adding a bit to the template, will probably do light of whatever feels right and works on my weaknesses.
(edited 4 years ago)
Bench Press day:

Bench Press 5/3/1
1x5 52.5kg
1x5 62.5kg
1x9 70kg

Last set on 5/3/1 is always AMRAP this is where you should give it your all and still have 1-2 left in the tank. Honestly I got 10 but I couldn’t rerack one side at the top so I’ll just say 9.

Overhead Press
1x10 22.5kg
1x10 22.5kg
1x10 22.5kg
1x10 22.5kg
1x10 22.5kg

Lat work:
Doing vertical pulling on OHP 5x10 days and will do rows on the bench 5x10 days.

1x10 Pull ups
1x8 Pull ups
1x10 45kg Pull downs
1x10 45kg Pull downs
1x10 45kg Pull downs
1x10 45kg Pull downs

Abs:
1x6 leg raises assisted
1x6 leg raises assisted
1x6 leg raises assisted
1x6 leg raises assisted
1x8 hanging knee raises

For physio did stretching and 5x6 on 8kg lunges.

Got to cook some chicken, and eggs to hit my proteins today. I stopped taking protein shakes weeks ago as I felt like I no longer needed them. But my overreliance on cereal and milk needs to change lol (you can easily get 800 calories on cereal with milk and not feel super bloated after).
(edited 4 years ago)
Post #100:birthday: - goal setting

Goals to reach by September 2019:
1.) Complete 2 cycles of 5/3/1.
That means my training maxes (90% of 1RM) should have changed by
Bench Press 82.5kg to 87.5kg.
Overhead Press 40kg to 45kg
Squat 90kg to 100kg
Deadlift 120kg to 130kg

Also the way 5/3/1 is set out means that I will have progressed in terms of reps. So I will be able to bang out more reps on 60kg for bench in September compared to what I do now.

2.) Continue consistently clean bulking, and reduce how reliant I am on cereal by replacing it with something thats more nutrient rich like eggs+oat meal for breakfast. Weight should be just under 75kg.

3.) At the moment I am getting a minimum of 7hours sleep, I am going to try bump this up to atleast 8hours.

4.) Be bigger in terms of muscle mass, and be in a position where I could consider a cut in October.

5.)Rehab pataller tendinopathy so I can try a new sport.

6.)Get really flexible and make stretching a habit.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest