The Student Room Group

What does a PGCE Student need?

Starting my PGCE this September.
Do I need to purchase anything?

For instance, do I need a 2019/2012 teacher planner or will I be given one as I've heard if you sign up for a union, you get a free one.
Original post by thenextchemist
Starting my PGCE this September.
Do I need to purchase anything?

For instance, do I need a 2019/2012 teacher planner or will I be given one as I've heard if you sign up for a union, you get a free one.

It is very unusual for teachers to buy their own planners. Your school will normally provide it.
I doubt your school will give you a planner if you are a student. Usually only staff will be given planners as they are ordered at the beginning of the year. As far as I’m aware unions don’t provide free planners, however, they may be given out when they visit your uni!

Get yourself a big A4 academic diary with at least one full page per day for plenty of scribbling, loads of stationary, the usual highlighters etc. Make sure you have your own printer as there’s nothing worse than getting home and remembering something you haven’t printed. It’s likely you will need at least two lever arch folders. A memory stick with encryption would also be a good purchase. A decent flask/mug that has a lid will be an essential if you’re a tea or coffee drinker. A nice water bottle too. Post it notes.

Everything else you’ll find at your placement school. Text book wise, your library should have everything.
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending