The Student Room Group

Confused regarding primary/early years routes

Hi Everyone,

I am half way through a degree with the Open University. I have studies three modules (business management, law and philosophy) but I now really want to get into a career that I have wanted to do since I was at school. I am wanting to either get into teaching or teaching assistant in primary school or in a pre school setting or become a nursery practitioner.

Please can someone give me some advice on what is best to do in order to achieve either of these options whilst working full time? Should I start a new degree in education or childhood early years or stick with the degree that I'm doing? What else would I need to do after my degree has been achieved (PGCE or anything else)? If I decided to just go into nursery practitioner/teaching assistant roles instead, what is the best option for achieving this?

Sorry for all of the questions, I would just really appreciate people's help on what I need to study for each option so that I can get on with waking up every day to a job I lobe, rather than dread!

Thanks in advance,

Natalie
For either option, there are two main routes-

You could finish the degree you are on, and then do a one year PGCE (or other ITT) course and get QTS that way. It would be impossible to do the ITT course whilst working full time, and most courses are full time. You can access funding in the form of student loans, though, and you may be able to work in the holidays. If you chose to become a primary teacher, there are some salaried training routes, but these are very competitive.

Alternatively, you could quit your current degree and do an undergraduate course leading to primary or early years QTS. This would take 3 years full time, but some part time options are available.You probably wouldn't be able to work whilst on placement, but part time working might be possible at other times. Depending on how much study you have done with the OU, and how you funded it, you may be able to get student loans to fund your degree.

The pay and progression for qualified teachers is much better than for a TA or Nursery worker without QTS- so it may well be worth the short term gain for long term pain.

You could arrange some shadowing of people in different roles and see what appeals to you.
Agreed with the above. However, I would add that the roles you’ve stated are very different so it is important that you are able to make the decision of which to go for. I would get some experience, make your decision and then come back here for advice.

Another thing to add that is a common misconception. EYTS is not QTS. It is very different and if you want to be a teacher in an early years setting like a reception class it is likely you will need QTS.
Just to add to the other comments, I have a degree in Business Management and I start a PGCE (Primary) in September. It is possible to complete your degree in an unrelated degree and still be able to pursue a career in teaching primary age. There were some past students who also had Law and Social Work degrees too.

I would recommend getting some work experience in a school/schools to see if you like the work/ environment and talking to teachers (understanding the positives and negatives side of teaching).

Also do you have GCSEs Grade C/4 in English, Maths and Science? If not, you will need to either re-sit them or take the equivalency tests that some universities do.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending