The Student Room Group

Please Help Me! =(

Is there anyone who can explain to me (in a simple way) any of these things?
- The teleological argument
- The cosmologial argument
-The Augustinian and Irenean Theodicies?
- Process theology?

Ive been revising for all my other exams, and barely know anything for the RS exam tomorrow. I missed a LOT of lessons due to illness,and the teacher was useless anyway, so im basically learning it all from scratch!!
Please help me!!
xxx

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Quick post well that's the first two things done for you...
Currently making a quick reference card for tomorrow morning.
It might help to fill out the others in this fashion.
Reply 2
Banality
Quick post well that's the first two things done for you...
Currently making a quick reference card for tomorrow morning.
It might help to fill out the others in this fashion.

THANK YOU!! feel free to give me any more help :wink:
Reply 3
The Augustine argued that the Bible shows that God is wholly good and created a world perfectly good and free from defect, evil and suffering. Evil is really the going wrong of something good (no ****), which came from the angels, and humans who turned their backs on God. Consequently, perfection was ruined by human sin and natural evil came about through the loss of order in nature, and moral evil from the knowledge of good an evil which humanity had discovered through their disobedience. God is right not to intervene since the punishment is justice for human sin. Technically, everyone would get their full and rightful punishment in hell, but in love God sent his son Jesus.... blah blah... you get the point.

Problem with this:
1. I is a logical contradiction to say that a perfectly created world had gone wrong.
2. Augustine's view that the world was made perfect and damaged by humans is contrary to the theory of evolution.
3. Suffering is essential to survival - things must die in order that other things might eat and live - God has to bear the responsibility of this.
4. The existence of Hell as a place of eternal punishment seems a contradiction for an all-loving God.

Also throw in survival of the fittest and evolution theory completely contradicts this: If something is perfect it's not gonna devolve into something worse... science has proven that everything is constantly "getting better" if it wasn't it would be dead.
Reply 4
Banality
The Augustine argued that the Bible shows that God is wholly good and created a world perfectly good and free from defect, evil and suffering. Evil is really the going wrong of something good (no ****), which came from the angels, and humans who turned their backs on God. Consequently, perfection was ruined by human sin and natural evil came about through the loss of order in nature, and moral evil from the knowledge of good an evil which humanity had discovered through their disobedience. God is right not to intervene since the punishment is justice for human sin. Technically, everyone would get their full and rightful punishment in hell, but in love God sent his son Jesus.... blah blah... you get the point.

Problem with this:
1. I is a logical contradiction to say that a perfectly created world had gone wrong.
2. Augustine's view that the world was made perfect and damaged by humans is contrary to the theory of evolution.
3. Suffering is essential to survival - things must die in order that other things might eat and live - God has to bear the responsibility of this.
4. The existence of Hell as a place of eternal punishment seems a contradiction for an all-loving God.

Also throw in survival of the fittest and evolution theory completely contradicts this: If something is perfect it's not gonna devolve into something worse... science has proven that everything is constantly "getting better" if it wasn't it would be dead.

Thank You!!!!! ;heart;
Reply 5
always a please :smile:
However alas I have not a ****ing clue as to the Process Theology, not picking that question for sure.
Reply 6
Banality
always a please :smile:
However alas I have not a ****ing clue as to the Process Theology, not picking that question for sure.

What exam board are you on? How long is the exam?
I'm on WJEC :s-smilie:
Reply 7
OCR, but those things should be fine.
Ah 3 hours for me... >.< 1 hour philosophy, 1 hour Ethics and 1 hour foundation
Reply 8
:| OMG i thought it was only an hour and a half *panic*
Im SO underprepared :| Arghh?!
Reply 9
you only doing philosophy?
Might be different for you.
Reply 10
No buddhism, philosophy and ethics :frown:
Process thought
- The inconsistent triad = God is omnipotent, God is benevolent, Evil exists
claims that one part must be denied: The Process Theodicy denies that God is omnipotent.

-The universe is an &#8216;uncreated process which includes the deity&#8217; &#8211; God is a part of the world and is bound by natural laws.
- God&#8217;s role in creation was limited to starting off the evolutionary process &#8211; this has led to the development of humans who are free to ignore God &#8211; &#8216;It is necessarily the case that God cannot completely control the creatures.&#8217;
- God suffers when evil is committed &#8211; God is part of the world, but unable to control it. God is the &#8216;fellow sufferer who understands.&#8217;

- Thus, God is responsible for evil in the sense of having started the process of evolution in the knowledge that he would be unable to control it.
- Why would God take such a risk? &#8211; The universe has produced enough quantity and quality to outweigh the evil. Given a choice between the universe we live in and no universe at all, the former is preferable
- This justifies God&#8217;s work.

Criticism
- This is not a theodicy at all &#8211; A theodicy is a justification of God in the face of evil. Process philosophy removes omnipotence so it is not a justification; it denies the God of classical theism. Thus, it is unacceptable to many &#61664; is such a being worthy or worship at all?
- No heaven, so there is no certainty that the innocent sufferers will be rewarded. If god cannot guarantee anything, what is the point of human efforts? Some people will be moved to make an effort to stand against evil; others will be filled with despair.
- The justification that the good outweighs the evil won&#8217;t comfort those who have actually suffered!
Reply 12
samaleyo
Process thought

Thank You!!
Reply 13
lol the Irenaean theodicy is basically that we are all made in the 'image' of God and through experiences of the world, eg.. moral and natural evil we progress and become perfect, in the 'likeness' of God. John Hick later developed this Theodicy saying there must be a 'vale of soul making' for this journey of perfection to happen after life.

Process Theodicy is that God created the world with pre existing matter, therefore he cannot control the evil in the world but can persuade people to do good. God interacts with humanity and learns through what happens in the world. This means that God is not omnipotent and omniscient as Theistic religions teach. God is limited by what humanity does. Matter could and has turned away from God and that's why there is evil in the world.
Reply 14
student_s
lol the Irenaean theodicy is basically that we are all made in the 'image' of God and through experiences of the world, eg.. moral and natural evil we progress and become perfect, in the 'likeness' of God. John Hick later developed this Theodicy saying there must be a 'vale of soul making' for this journey of perfection to happen after life.

Process Theodicy is that God created the world with pre existing matter, therefore he cannot control the evil in the world but can persuade people to do good. God interacts with humanity and learns through what happens in the world. This means that God is not omnipotent and omniscient as Theistic religions teach. God is limited by what humanity does. Matter could and has turned away from God and that's why there is evil in the world.

Thanks!!
Reply 15
The cosmological Argument was formulated by Aquinas in the first three of his 5 proofs for God's existence.

The 'unmoved mover'
Everything that moves from potentiality to actuality is moved or changed by something else.

The 'uncaused cause'
Every effect has a cause. There cannot be an infinite chain of causes. It makes more sense to accept there is an ultimate cause (God).

'Contingency' and 'Necessity'

Everything in out experience is contingent and there was a time where it did not exist. This means there must have been a time when nothing existed. There must be a being that existed of necessity rather than contingency to cause something. This necessery being has always existed and is dependant upon nothing else...It is God.
Reply 16
Thanks everyone. Feel free to carry on im printing everything out. :smile:
Reply 17
What the hell is the process theory, I'm doing this tomorrow, well we all are but... do you mean ontological ?
Reply 18
Ed.
What the hell is the process theory, I'm doing this tomorrow, well we all are but... do you mean ontological ?

Its another theory to justify the existance of God along side evil....
:confused:
Ed.

The ontological argument has pretty much nothing at all to do with process theology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_theology

basically, God is not omnipotent, he is part of the world just like us. Look at my previous post!

Latest

Trending

Trending