The Student Room Group

Gap year after uni worries

Right,
I have a plan, might be a bad one but hey.
Im doing as levels atm, and hopefully going to go to a decent uni (warwick, bristol type place) to study physics. Ive written to a few companies basically saying 'I've no money, want to do physics at uni, really admire your company, would love to work for you in the future' - my cousin did this and got £1500 off shell to go to uni.

If a company agreed to this and gave me some money but said i had to work for them after uni, what would there reaction if i told them that i'd like to take a gap year after uni, travelling, then work for them?

cheers x
Reply 1
I'm no expert in industrail sponsorship but it would be entirely down to the individual company. Some (many?) may be OK with it, others may not.
yeah as said it will be down to individual companies

some may look down on it as if they have sponsored you for university they would want you to start university as soon as possible, others (re: KPMG) may be fine with it - although my friend had a medical condition and so had to take a gap year, they still kept his offer etc
Reply 3
It may also depend on exactly what you plan on doing on the gap year after uni. If you are planning on combing travelling and industrial experience they'd be more likely to agree.
Reply 4
Put yourself in the employers shoes, they are going to pay you money to goto uni, then you say you want 12 months to explore the world. Surely you would be a bit apprehsive to give the money, where as if you said I'm desperate to start a career after uni (then after uni you spontaneously decide to go abroad) whats the worst that can happen
Reply 5
Sell a kidney and go travelling when you want to, preferably before work. Once you're in the rat race, it's a lot harder. You start considering th 'opportunity cost' of taking a year off etc.

Edit...free money? Go talk to the army. I seem to recall their pre-uni gap year option is pretty cool, and in uni the commitments are pretty low (and still paid!). No commitment to join up afterwards, you can't get posted anywhere and you can milk them for all the heavily subsidised adventerous training...paid for...inc. skydiving, skiing, flying etc. Not guaranteed, not everyone's cup of tea...but a damn good deal.

Latest