The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

stryker101
you must be kidding. for you maybe, but for everyone else??

I'm not kidding at all.. everyone I know has found it very very challenging because it really isn't just about learning things off by heart.. it's very analytical.. you end up with a case study which you pretty much know nothing about and are expected to respond within a very short period of time..
Reply 41
xBillyBrownx
Actually English Literature is extremely useful.. Obviously it's not going to affect the way you write too much because it's literature not language.. but it really broadens your horizons and you get to look into extremely interesting subjects which you otherwise may not come across or may not consider contemplating/discussing.. It also makes you more able to read between the lines and makes you a lot more analytical of things... literature in general puts you in different situations which you might not encounter in real life and so studying it teaches you more about life because it means that you study some of these situations and you learn from them, analyse and discuss them..

Merely studying a fine piece as "Paradise Lost" made English Literature at A2 worthwhile for me, regardless of everything else (although I have also thoroughly enjoyed my other modules).
piiineapple
I'm annoyed that i wasn't aware there were hard or soft subjects when i made my choices.

Same. Silly and naive sixteen-year-old me thought that my exam board would only offer qualifications that were worth something. :s-smilie:

Mithra
Well thats a bit rude. Even the people in my school admit business A-level is fairly useless, and English I will admit is difficult, but I just don't see how its a real use, I haven't noticed anyone doing english (lit or lang) writing at any higher level, or higher quality, and so what use is it really within the world? :p:

Oh, come on - you must have known you were going to elicit that sort of response, hence you mentioned something about a flame suit. English Lit. is a highly respectable subject, for the record - and since when has academia had to have a "real use" (whatever you mean by that, anyway)?
Reply 43
how is sports studies a soft subject, Why don't you take it and see how you do?
*pitseleh*
Same. Silly and naive sixteen-year-old me thought that my exam board would only offer qualifications that were worth something. :s-smilie:

Oh, come on - you must have known you were going to elicit that sort of response, hence you mentioned something about a flame suit. English Lit. is a highly respectable subject, for the record - and since when has academia had to have a "real use" (whatever you mean by that, anyway)?

BRAVO!!
Reply 45
*pitseleh*

lol, I just meant calling me ignorant was a bit rude :smile:. And all academia should have a use in the real world, or else what is the point of it. I still find the sheer idea of mathematics amazing, I mean it's a science basically completely invented by man, and yet it can explain so much about the universe.

edit: by invented I mean the more complex ideas, not 1 + 1 = 2 :smile:

e.g. think of the integration and differentiation functions. Now how incredible is it that something so fundamentally simple can get you the area under any graph?
Reply 46
xBillyBrownx
Actually English Literature is extremely useful.. Obviously it's not going to affect the way you write too much because it's literature not language.. but it really broadens your horizons and you get to look into extremely interesting subjects which you otherwise may not come across or may not consider contemplating/discussing.. It also makes you more able to read between the lines and makes you a lot more analytical of things... literature in general puts you in different situations which you might not encounter in real life and so studying it teaches you more about life because it means that you study some of these situations and you learn from them, analyse and discuss them..

I second that my friend.
Amy_J
Merely studying a fine piece as "Paradise Lost" made English Literature at A2 worthwhile for me, regardless of everything else (although I have also thoroughly enjoyed my other modules).

I know right. Frankenstein was just amazing.
Reply 48
house999
how is sports studies a soft subject, Why don't you take it and see how you do?

I think here we're taking soft to be not academic, which sport studies certainly is not.
Reply 49
xBillyBrownx
I know right. Frankenstein was just amazing.

Ah yes, we covered that too. As well as the Romantic poets, and King Lear for Shakespeare. Excellent.
So what if things are "soft" choices? People should study what they enjoy.

Doing "soft" subjects does not mean that one is automatically a dimwit.

I got mostly A's at GCSE and did Business Studies, Psychology and Sociology A levels- because I was interested in them. Highly academic subjects such as Maths and Science were not my cup of tea. But no doubt if I'd been interested in them I could have applied myself successfully.

People need to stop worrying about taking "soft subjects" or whatever. DO WHAT YOU ENJOY. Forget what everyone else thinks. As long as those subjects are offered then people are going to express an interest in them.

Some people get so pretentious over this issue. Who cares if you study maths, media studies, chemistry or sports science. So long as you enjoy it and learn valuable skills then what is the problem? You shouldn't judge other people solely on what they study.
Reply 51
xBillyBrownx
I'm not kidding at all.. everyone I know has found it very very challenging because it really isn't just about learning things off by heart.. it's very analytical.. you end up with a case study which you pretty much know nothing about and are expected to respond within a very short period of time..

i agree completely... one of my classmates said that one of the exams which had an unseen casestudy had to be analyzed veryy critically making it very much like an unseen paper in literature....
Reply 52
aligogo

business, i agree is fairly useless, you don't need business studies to run a business.

But you need English Literature to write a poem? You need Politics to be a politician? I could go on but hopefully you can see how utterly unintelligent your comment was.
Reply 53
I do a combination of 'soft' and 'academically rigorous' subjects on the basis of enjoyment and ability. My sole purpose of life is not to get a good job, and I can still be 'of use' despite my a-levels, merrrccci.

I am cynical towards those who take subjects on the principle of dossing about in college and avoiding work on the other hand, fire away in that case.
Reply 54
Jump
But you need English Literature to write a poem? You need Politics to be a politician? I could go on but hopefully you can see how utterly unintelligent your comment was.

good one :smile:
I'm studying English Lit, Welsh, French and Drama&Theatre Studies, currently sitting A Levels.

Now Drama&Theatre Studies is widely regarded as a "soft" subject- but generally when the course a student takes is one without much written element. The course I'm doing comprises of a lot of written coursework, timed essay papers which draw out questions of history and writing technique, and also performances that have to be written, scripted, analysed and reviewed.

Contrary to popular belief, drama isn't only about flouncing around a theatre swooning and sighing "but darling, what's my motivation?"

I think that essay questions are more demanding than maths and science- in SOME ways. They require you to think, form opinions and express yourself fluently and originally- whereas in maths and science it's a case of learning solid fact, complex formulae and equations.
One advantage is that in "fact" subjects you are either right or wrong- in languages and literature, it relies heavily on how the examiner responds.

Welsh could potentially be seen as a soft subject to those living outside of Wales too. Luckily, Universities acknowledge it as a serious subject and accept it as an A Level.
Reply 56
asked this in the other thread but just want to know, which would you generally say is the harder subject, history or religious studies??
Reply 57
EducatingBrogan
I'm studying English Lit, Welsh, French and Drama&Theatre Studies, currently sitting A Levels.

Is that Welsh as a foreign language or as a native one? If its a native one what do you do in it? :smile:
Reply 58
i think people also have to be careful when distinguishing between their hobbies and their academic studies.

say you LOVE dance... fine, but you don't really need an a level in dance... what does it prove.
i bet the best dancer in the world doesn't have an a level in dance.

p.s i know nothing about dance..so yeah whatever
Reply 59
coolkitten12
Throughout this forum there are people putting others subjects down as being 'soft' or less worthy academically. As I am studying Media and Theatre Studies people often say this to me. I feel people should properly discuss this, what do you think are soft subjects? why? Thought this could be interesting. x

I'm not against media / theatre studies, think they can be useful for people etc

but they are soft...universities are quite right not to treat them the same as say...Further Maths, Chemistry or Physics.

A-Levels do differ in difficulty, and its not as simple as drawing a line "soft vs hard" subjects. For example, two of my subjects are Biology and Chemistry. Biology is much easier than Chemistry and they're both 'respected' sciences

Latest